Converting OEM eLocker to ARB (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’m looking for a wring kit for the factory eLockers on these fj80 axles. I found 12voltguy however all his wiring harnesses are for 4Runner’s and Toyota Trucks. 12voltguy is not emailing me back. I just was going to post his site and now it’s down. Maybe he is out of business. Does anyone any after market eLocker wiring harness kits I can use?

Yes.
That is why I say it makes more sense financially to just buy a non-locked axle assembly. Why buy an e-locked axle, then gut it to install an ARB locker. Last time I checked, non-locked axle assemblies were selling for about 1/3 the cost of an e-locker axle.

I'm still a bit confused about what you are trying to accomplish. Can we clarify a few things so we can give you the best advice?

You have an FJ45.
Planning for 37" or bigger.
You are retrofitting 80 series axles under the 45. Front and rear?
Makes sense; 80 series = full floater, 63" width, 30 spline. Do you already have the axles?
You obviously plan to wheel this thing, but are concerned about the twisted spline potential of e-locked axles. Right?
You don't want Chevy, Dana, or aftermarket axle assemblies. Right?

If you already have the e-locked axles, your choices are:
Run 'em as is.
Upgrade the axle shafts such as machining splines, or aftermarket chromoly shafts.
Sell them and recoup some cash to buy non-locked axles and then install aftermarket lockers.
Sell the e-locker third, modify the axle assembly for a non-locked third and axle shafts, buy non-locked third and axle, then install aftermarket locker.

If you haven't bought the axles yet your choices are:
Buy non-locked axles, then install aftermarket lockers.
Buy e-locked axles and run them as above.
Buy e-locked axles, sell the e-locker third, modify the axle assembly for a non-locked third and axle shafts, buy non-locked third and axle, then install aftermarket locker.

The last two scenarios on each list seem to be what you are asking about, which would not be the choices I would prefer.
Hi again,

I’m getting ready to start on my fj45 project by working on my fj80 elocker axles.

Do you know if I buy the aftermarket Toyota elocker wire harness I still need the OEM ECU?

Not sure if youve seen this thread, but makes it pretty easy to see how it they work. I ripped the harness outta mine and used a power probe to lock and unlock the front a whole weekend at Badlands without any issues. I think you could make your own harness for them pretty easily. You can still get the plugs from Toyota, but then the pig tail is additional. When I looked into it a few months ago, it was ridiculously expensive. It wouldve been a lot cheaper to go the Deutsch connector route and make my own. I ended up finding another factory harness so never went thru with it though.

view-source:Factory E- Locker Troubleshooting - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/factory-e-locker-troubleshooting.1147142/

Not sure if youve seen this thread, but makes it pretty easy to see how it they work. I ripped the harness outta mine and used a power probe to lock and unlock the front a whole weekend at Badlands without any issues. I think you could make your own harness for them pretty easily. You can still get the plugs from Toyota, but then the pig tail is additional. When I looked into it a few months ago, it was ridiculously expensive. It wouldve been a lot cheaper to go the Deutsch connector route and make my own. I ended up finding another factory harness so never went thru with it though.

view-source:Factory E- Locker Troubleshooting - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/factory-e-locker-troubleshooting.1147142/
Thanks, good read. However I still don’t understand if I need the ECU? These fj80 axles are going in my fj45.

Thanks, good read. However I still don’t understand if I need the ECU? These fj80 axles are going in my fj45.
You need the control box. It contains a relay h-bridge to power the motors.

I do not know where you heard that BS, they are fine are you going to re-gear them to 4.88 or 5.29 ??
im on 38s with factory elockers... i need to upgrade the axles

Like I said, I used a power probe to lock and unlock mine all weekend, Not sure what youre trying to accomplish with your project, but if you make your own harness I see no reason to keep the computer. Making your own harness to lock and unlock wouldnt be hard at all, even include the indicator light if you need or want it. Putting the computer in, youll have to "dummy" it out to get it to think its in 4 low/center diff locked for it to let them work anyways. Also going that way, youll have them in the factory sequence. Another reason I would make my own if I was using them in a non 80 project. Would let you lock and unlock them individually at will.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom