converting fj60 power steering to mini (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am picking up a toy minitruck power steering setup tonight to convert the combo setup to the remote setup. I haven't been able to find any info on this yet and was curious if anyone has done this conversion and what was involved.

brain dead me...on a 40 series? 60 series?

<--clueless, and late in the work day.....

FJ60?

I hate to sound repetitive, but I am a firm believer in a new Toyota PS pump vs anything else. $330 delivered is the best money spent on an item that should last 10+ years as the very first pump off the assembly line did (use a filter, use dextron III, and flush the system 100%). OH of a used pump can meet with success if a low mileage one, but if high mileage the tolerances are blown and no kit will resolve. Reman'd pumps same deal. I turn in terrible calipers for reconditioning and I would expect same for PS pump cores. Every remanufactured FJ60 pump I have ever seen leaked, period.

Using some ? mini truck pump or saginaw is a waste of time. effort etc. If you have a pre 1979 block, then an alternate is a must (as a FJ60 - late FJ40 bracket won't fit).

my $5 advice.

If I remember correctly, there is a pretty good reason for using the mini truck pump/resevoir. On an FJ60, the pump is bracketed to that tractor motor, and the resevoir is connected to the pump via a seal, whereas the mini has a remote resevoir. All the vibrations from the motor transmitted through the pump causes this seal to fail, then you've got a mess. I believe the mini truck pump is basically the same, it mounts up. And the resevoir can be mounted to the firewall avoiding sed problems. While I have no technical advise, I'll leave what I know. Go to a bone yard. Find a mini, and grab the pump/resevoir. Use the pump as a core for a reman, and mount away. How exactly..... ???

I don't really know.
If you find out tho, let me know. :D

2F's, 3F's, 3B's, 2H's all use reservoirs mated to PS pumps (belt drive).

HZ's, HD's, KZ's, FZ's are a gear driven pump and space does not allow a reservoir near them-but they are engine mounted

Diesel vibrate much more than a gas engine so I don't really believe that scenario.

(only the F's above are gas, all are heavy duty land cruisers)

I think that's where mine is leaking, at the connection between the reservoir and the pump. Is it difficult to replace that o-ring or seal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom