1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

converting fj60 power steering to mini

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by HighToy, Jan 22, 2003.

1. HighToy

HighToy

I am picking up a toy minitruck power steering setup tonight to convert the combo setup to the remote setup. I haven't been able to find any info on this yet and was curious if anyone has done this conversion and what was involved.

2. woody

woody unhelpful spotter Staff Member Admin

Media:
    Albums:
    brain dead me...on a 40 series? 60 series?

<--clueless, and late in the work day.....

3. rick_d

rick_d

FJ60?

I hate to sound repetitive, but I am a firm believer in a new Toyota PS pump vs anything else. $330 delivered is the best money spent on an item that should last 10+ years as the very first pump off the assembly line did (use a filter, use dextron III, and flush the system 100%). OH of a used pump can meet with success if a low mileage one, but if high mileage the tolerances are blown and no kit will resolve. Reman'd pumps same deal. I turn in terrible calipers for reconditioning and I would expect same for PS pump cores. Every remanufactured FJ60 pump I have ever seen leaked, period.

Using some ? mini truck pump or saginaw is a waste of time. effort etc. If you have a pre 1979 block, then an alternate is a must (as a FJ60 - late FJ40 bracket won't fit).

my $5 advice.

4. Man Jerk

Man Jerk

If I remember correctly, there is a pretty good reason for using the mini truck pump/resevoir. On an FJ60, the pump is bracketed to that tractor motor, and the resevoir is connected to the pump via a seal, whereas the mini has a remote resevoir. All the vibrations from the motor transmitted through the pump causes this seal to fail, then you've got a mess. I believe the mini truck pump is basically the same, it mounts up. And the resevoir can be mounted to the firewall avoiding sed problems. While I have no technical advise, I'll leave what I know. Go to a bone yard. Find a mini, and grab the pump/resevoir. Use the pump as a core for a reman, and mount away. How exactly..... ???

I don't really know.
    If you find out tho, let me know. :D

5. rick_d

rick_d

2F's, 3F's, 3B's, 2H's all use reservoirs mated to PS pumps (belt drive).

HZ's, HD's, KZ's, FZ's are a gear driven pump and space does not allow a reservoir near them-but they are engine mounted

Diesel vibrate much more than a gas engine so I don't really believe that scenario.

(only the F's above are gas, all are heavy duty land cruisers)

6. Guest

Guest Guest

I think that's where mine is leaking, at the connection between the reservoir and the pump. Is it difficult to replace that o-ring or seal?

7. toyofj60

toyofj60

Media:
    Albums:
    what ever happened with this????