Converting Factory fridge to 12V (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for suggestions on converting the factory fridge (cool box) in the center console to 12v. Has anyone done this on an 80 series?

with electric compressors being efficient these days. It makes a lot of sense to convert the original fridge to electric type. Keeps drinks cool while the truck is off and easy access.

The Secop would make for a great compressor. This guy is the smallest one and offered in HD for additional vibration handling (off-road driving)

BD1.4F-VSD /-HD

While the compressor is small and would fit under the switches. My concern is condenser and ventilation. I don't think these would package well under the factory AC switch along with the compressor.

Has anyone done a remote compressor, condenser and evap setup for a fridge?

I don't have a lot knowledge on fridges but I think it's worth the shot.

146404-ca4995d90a495ebe04efb69170220f03.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Looking for suggestions on converting the factory fridge (cool box) in the center console to 12v. Has anyone done this on an 80 series?

with electric compressors being efficient these days. It makes a lot of sense to convert the original fridge to electric type. Keeps drinks cool while the truck is off and easy access.

The Secop would make for a great compressor. This guy is the smallest one and offered in HD for additional vibration handling (off-road driving)

BD1.4F-VSD /-HD

While the compressor is small and would fit under the switches. My concern is condenser and ventilation. I don't think these would package well under the factory AC switch along with the compressor.

Has anyone done a remote compressor, condenser and evap setup for a fridge?

I don't have a lot knowledge on fridges but I think it's worth the shot.

View attachment 3127433

View attachment 3127434
I mean, how much cpacity oes it have? Like 3 cans of pepsi? Im not sure it would be worth modifying for such little storage. I would just toss a new electric fridge of your choice in the cargo area.

I did it.
Sold OEM Console for $100 on Ebay.
Bought this on Ebay for $300.
We like it way more than I thought.
I let the Wife Drive and I can have a Road Pop.
Kids love it for Juice Boxes and Sammiches.
It's also very handy for bringing Ice Cream Home or Meat from Grocery Store - It's a Freezer.
It can be taken inside and Plugged in at Hotels, but I have intentions to Wire it to Secondary Deep Cycle Battery.
If you review their stuff, they have a Great Reputation Down Undie.
I built a 1/4" Plywood Tray with Edging for it to sit on.
The Cup Holders will NOT hold a Nalgene (Which all cup holders should).
I leave 2 Nalgenes in it at all times and fill rest with Adult Pops.
Dometic.jpg

I mean, how much cpacity oes it have? Like 3 cans of pepsi? Im not sure it would be worth modifying for such little storage. I would just toss a new electric fridge of your choice in the cargo area.
12-13 cans of pepsi ;)

^ I think some of you are confusing replacing the factory non-fridge center console with an aftermarket fridge console. OP is looking to replace the factory center console fridge (that uses the air conditioning system for cooling) with an electric cooling system, but leaving the rest of the console in place.

I'm subscribed for updates. I'd love to do this to my truck.

It holds about 11 to 13 liters. fairly good for on the road access.

Might go to electric fridge if converting is difficult to do. The factory fridge console looks the best in the 80 but I may have to go with a different option.

I have a dometic CDF11 in my 60. Had it in there for years. It's the reason why I'm considering this conversion for the 80.

I did it.
Sold OEM Console for $100 on Ebay.
Bought this on Ebay for $300.
We like it way more than I thought.
I let the Wife Drive and I can have a Road Pop.
Kids love it for Juice Boxes and Sammiches.
It's also very handy for bringing Ice Cream Home or Meat from Grocery Store - It's a Freezer.
It can be taken inside and Plugged in at Hotels, but I have intentions to Wire it to Secondary Deep Cycle Battery.
If you review their stuff, they have a Great Reputation Down Undie.
I built a 1/4" Plywood Tray with Edging for it to sit on.
The Cup Holders will NOT hold a Nalgene (Which all cup holders should).
I leave 2 Nalgenes in it at all times and fill rest with Adult Pops.

Yup may go to a CDF11 if I exhaust all options.

Delta makes a mount

Nice to know! I already have your beautiful manual console in my 80. What a work of art. Highly recommended to anyone looking for a console. Very practical too.

12-13 cans of pepsi ;)

Yup something in the range of 11 liters plus 2 cubbies for ice.

^ I think some of you are confusing replacing the factory non-fridge center console with an aftermarket fridge console. OP is looking to replace the factory center console fridge (that uses the air conditioning system for cooling) with an electric cooling system, but leaving the rest of the console in place.

I'm subscribed for updates. I'd love to do this to my truck.

Yup exactly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom