Converting ARB to vacuum?

Tinker

There's another AU company out there that has vacuum lockers for the FJ. I suppose you could have a device that uses vacuum to produce pressure, but I bet the efficiency wouldn't be very good.

60wag

SILVER Star

The ARB locker needs at least 60 psi to operate, 80 to be reliable. It is sprung open and uses the air pressure to compress the spring and lock it. Vacuum won't go over -13 psi. The piston in the locker would need to be lot bigger to operate at 13 psi, and would need to be sprung in the other direction. I don't think it can be done. It would be easier to source a set of OE cable operated lockers and add vacuum motors to operate them. That makes the ARB compressor or similar, pretty attractive.

South western alps south east part of France. Righ
Hi everybody!

Thanks a lot for the replies. 60Wag, true, i didn't think about the presure side of the story. It still can be done, but i would have to find a kind of dual action double air cylinder of sufficient surface to convert from vacuum to presure. KLF, thanks a lot for the link. Any idea on the price in australia? (i have a friend curently living down there) Tapage, that was kind of the idea, but i see what you imply by asking, why bother trying to avoid buying the compressor, when it's soo usefull for other purposes. Well, it's just that a vacuum would seem more Toyota to me, and i 'd rather use what's already on the truck, plus i don't like the idea of the ARB, don't ask why, i don't know. And i like the mac namara idea better! , while it's nearly the same!

Best regards.

Max.

jac mac diffs are usually about 200-300 more than arb's

so bank on about 1500 per diff... guestimate based on lite research a couple of years ago

Spook50

Get ready

bad_religion_au said:
jac mac diffs are usually about 200-300 more than arb's

so bank on about 1500 per diff... guestimate based on lite research a couple of years ago
GAWD I want one of those bad. Maybe a few years down the road...

Tapage

Club 4X4 Panamá
SILVER Star

Satamax said:
Tapage, that was kind of the idea, but i see what you imply by asking, why bother trying to avoid buying the compressor, when it's soo usefull for other purposes. Well, it's just that a vacuum would seem more Toyota to me, and i 'd rather use what's already on the truck, plus i don't like the idea of the ARB, don't ask why, i don't know.
I respect your opinion and idea .. :cool:

Top Bottom