Converting a 93/94 to a 95-97 engine and tranny (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ginericLC

Wagon Wheeler!
Threads
Has anyone done this.? I've done the engine conversion before but I just transferred the old harness over to the new engine and used the old ECU. What I want to do is run the newer tranny and transmission using the old dash harness. Is this possible? Swap ECUs for both tranny and transfer and use the donor 97 engine and tranny harness?

Has anyone done this.? I've done the engine conversion before but I just transferred the old harness over to the new engine and used the old ECU. What I want to do is run the newer tranny and transmission using the old dash harness. Is this possible? Swap ECUs for both tranny and transfer and use the donor 97 engine and tranny harness?
I'm trying it now.
I'll let you know.
I have a 1997 LX-450 engine and tranny with wiring going into a 1994.
Need to use the old transfer case.
Hoping I don't have to change much with the dash harness.

Perfect timing…I just picked up a 94 and have a 96 engine and trans in my shop and was thinking the same thing.
Following :popcorn:

I think to do a complete swap it may need all the OBDII emissions BS as well.

Not to bea debbie downer, but this has been brought up numerous times and it's never feasible. You'll not only be swapping dash harnesses, but almost certainly the dash itself due to the differences. Not only that, but the exhaust, in addition to the simple things like engine harness and ecu. You'd basically need a whole parts truck with a bad body and a lot of determination to make it worth it.
Most dress the later engine like an early one and be done with it.

I'm already running a 94 harness in a FJ60 body with the FJ62 dash with 60 series heater controls and AC amp. Basically all I wanted to know is if the tranny and ecu plugs would work in the under the dash harness going from a 94 to 97 engine. I really don't want to rip the dash apart again.

The 95-97 emissions stuff is actually easier to deal with than the 93/94 stuff. No Pair valve.

I'm already running a 94 harness in a FJ60 body with the FJ62 dash with 60 series heater controls and AC amp. Basically all I wanted to know is if the tranny and ecu plugs would work in the under the dash harness going from a 94 to 97 engine. I really don't want to rip the dash apart again.
They won't, unfortunately. Obd1 rigs have separate computers for engine and ecu, later rigs have it all managed under the ecu.
I hear you on the dash stuff. I kept the og harness on my 60 but added the bits of the 62 harness related to fuel injection when I did my 2fe, which was a lot to tackle but your project goes way beyond that. How's the 1fz in a 60?

If anyone is looking to do this swap, I have a running engine and trans out of my 97 sitting in my garage. Message me. Also, if I were doing this after ripping mine out and how brittle everything is, wits end has full wiring harnesses for like $700. Totally worth the money imo

I have never done it myself but the question has come up before and the answer is always the same.
93-94s are completely different then the 95-97s and not compatible. 🤷‍♂️

If anyone is looking to do this swap, I have a running engine and trans out of my 97 sitting in my garage. Message me. Also, if I were doing this after ripping mine out and how brittle everything is, wits end has full wiring harnesses for like $700. Totally worth the money imo
Partsouq has harness for under 500$ now that’s toatally worth it.

Partsouq has harness for under 500$ now that’s toatally worth it.
Still only half the battle as that harness is not going to plug into the rest of the 93-94 stuff 🤷‍♂️

Still only half the battle as that harness is not going to plug into the rest of the 93-94 stuff 🤷‍♂️
I don’t know anything about the 93-94. If it is still the 4.5L to my knowledge, they are the same if not really really similar

Yes it’s the same 4.5L but the 93-94 is
OBD 1 the 95-97 is OBD 2 and vastly different in terms of wiring, sensors, computer to name a few.

so the engine and transmission with all the harnesses. Gauge cluster, wiring to cluster. Transmission shifter and wiring to shifter. Wiring to OBDII port and port.

The dashes are different but not the physical size and shape of the cluster. I actually installed 96 factory selectable lockers into a 91 and used a 93 cluster to substitute the missing icons and have the proper shift display for a 91.

could be more but I think that's the bulk of it.

Yah for sure I was just saying you can save a lot by shopping around. I broke 3 tabs on my 94 harness when I pulled it and will be doing some surgery to it.

I pretty sure the 93-94 harness is NLA

I pretty sure the 93-94 harness is NLA
Confirmed.
I don't consider myself a search nazi, but this entire thread is beating a dead horse.
In my opinion the only compatibility worth looking into between the two setups is in the engine blocks themselves (simple), and the engine harness (not simple, but no choice as the earlier ones are, like you said, nla)

I have both a 93-94 and a 95-97 engine harness, and not too long ago I looked into the prospects of selling new 95-97 harnesses that are modified to suit the NLA 93-94 harness. I concluded that it's possible but the business case isn't there (for me anyway). If someone wants it bad enough to reach out to me, that's one thing, but it won't be a service I'd advertise.

Last edited:
The path of least resistance to install a 95-97 engine and PCM in a 93-94 would be to use the 95-97 PCM and engine harness, abandon the early TCM, use a dakota digital tach converter to drive the 93-94 dash tach with the 95+ PCM. You would have a dozen or so wires in a jumper harness behind the glovebox. You'd have the OD cancel button and the newer 2nd gear start button to deal with.

You'd have to sort out exhaust as well. You'd probably need the entire exhaust from the donor.

It would work though. You'd basically be doing all the same wiring you'd do swap an LS or Cummins plus some. And for what gain I have no idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom