Converting 94 1fz to 97 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Fj80oregon

GOLD Star
Threads
So I have been researching converting the earlier years 1FZ-FE 93/94 to work with the later 1FZ-FE 95-97. The information is there but you gotta read a lot of threads so I figured I would compile it here. I have a 94 that has been completely rebuilt new pistons .50 bored, new bearings, timing chain, slipper, and dampener. Block decked and head rebuilt. I have had a lot of interest but everyone wants a 95+ motor. So I am swapping Over parts to make it compatible with all years.
First off you need to swap the upper oil pan because it contains the crank position sensor that only the 95-97 obd2 motor use. These are NLA so you would have to source a used one. The lower oil pan is the same for all 1fz years.
Second you need to change the Gear pump
Drive shaft to part # 13522-66030.
Third you need to install the rotor crank position sensor part # 19315-66010

9074AFD0-84D5-4442-8AA2-24A1269E1786.jpeg

EF76DA6A-4684-4791-9428-3A97D906033C.jpeg

7952C427-A622-4A0B-8985-0AC6001AA9C9.jpeg

The earlier year oil pump drive gear has the large shoulder built into it to accommodate the missing crank position sensor gear. I already had this motor completely sealed up pans on head on. You can pull the upper and lower pan to remove the timing chain cover. The head does not have to come off. Easily said as it’s on an engine stand. You will have to remove the timing chain tensioner and the timing chain slipper as you have to remove the oil squirter to fit the new crank position sensor gear. Make sure your timing is correct with the darker colored links lined up with the corresponding marks on the gears.

28AFB57A-4232-4616-9874-0D030C281497.jpeg

618964E7-5039-4C2A-A371-EA32153E9236.jpeg

423F2281-09B2-408B-87E5-58236186A273.jpeg

F92CB858-D149-423D-8FAC-2BE634F4B8D3.jpeg

2C64D2F0-597C-40B0-B1AD-2EA0DE63AD6B.jpeg

At this point you have made the engine ready for all 93-97 years. If you had an earlier year you just would not plug in the Crank position sensor. Clean the surfaces for the timing chain and reseal with Toyota fipg 103. Don’t forget to keep the two O-rings in place with some silicone or fipg. Also fipg goes on top of the timing chain cover between the head and cover. install timing cover bolts and two bolts through the head into cover. Then re-install the upper oil pan. Don’t forget the square o ring on the bottom of the timing chain cover.

pic of what your motor should look like if you care!
Now wait just a dam minute. Some of us use the engine.
Beautiful.
But no way in hell I'd swap to OBDII. Usually not knowing the insignificant minutia results in a more enjoyable experience (scanner anxiety).
Plus I've never seen OBDII heal itself like my OBDI does. lol

Now wait just a dam minute. Some of us use the engine.
Beautiful.
But no way in hell I'd swap to OBDII. Usually not knowing the insignificant minutia results in a more enjoyable experience (scanner anxiety).
Plus I've never seen OBDII heal itself like my OBDI does. lol
Amen.

To reinforce the swap done here this is not converting a ob1 truck (93/94) to a obd2 truck (95/97) I am simple showing the easy way to change the difference in the engine. You would still want to run your trucks stock engine accessories and ECM. My reasoning for this post was to show how simple it is to make an older engine work with a newer model.

To reinforce the swap done here this is not converting a ob1 truck (93/94) to a obd2 truck (95/97) I am simple showing the easy way to change the difference in the engine. You would still want to run your trucks stock engine accessories and ECM. My reasoning for this post was to show how simple it is to make an older engine work with a newer model.
Right, I didn't mean to refer directly to your efforts. They are another option in keeping the 80 alive.
It was a neckjerk response to the thought of going from from I to II by choice. lol

Right, I didn't mean to refer directly to your efforts. They are another option in keeping the 80 alive.
It was a neckjerk response to the thought of going from from I to II by choice. lol

why would you not go to OBDII?
what's the disadvantage? OBDII is capable of managing boost if that's your thing, OBDI is not (beyond a few PSI)

So I have been researching converting the earlier years 1FZ-FE 93/94 to work with the later 1FZ-FE 95-97. The information is there but you gotta read a lot of threads so I figured I would compile it here. I have a 94 that has been completely rebuilt new pistons .50 bored, new bearings, timing chain, slipper, and dampener. Block decked and head rebuilt. I have had a lot of interest but everyone wants a 95+ motor. So I am swapping Over parts to make it compatible with all years.
First off you need to swap the upper oil pan because it contains the crank position sensor that only the 95-97 obd2 motor use. These are NLA so you would have to source a used one. The lower oil pan is the same for all 1fz years.
Second you need to change the Gear pump
Drive shaft to part # 13522-66030.
Third you need to install the rotor crank position sensor part # 19315-66010

View attachment 3373576

View attachment 3373577

View attachment 3373578
great timing.

I might add a handful of parts to my parts list while I have an engine in pieces.

Looks like a few more bits, and the engine could possibly be compatible to 100series management system with cam angle sensor, and distributor-less ignition, coil on plug etc

gonna go digging on this I think!

Should be a sticky ad this question comes u frequently.

The 1FZ-FE in any incarnation is just a gloriously magnificent hunk of inline obesity and durability. Those pics like above out of the engine bay really tell the whole story too.

The old "they don't make em like that anymore" cliche sure holds true.

why would you not go to OBDII?
what's the disadvantage? OBDII is capable of managing boost if that's your thing, OBDI is not (beyond a few PSI)
I'm just a simple farmer.
Adding boost can be another level of hell that anyone is welcome to join. lol Have at it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom