Converting 4x series SF to FF using ruffstuff specialties? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ceylonfj40nut

Waiting for Barn Time
SILVER Star
Threads
Any one use these to convert a 4x series semi float housing to make a full float

I haven't ever used that, but I guess my question is why? :)

I understand the benefits of a full floater, just wondering why you want to convert? (not that you have to have a reason I suppose)

Why would you use the earlier full floater backing plate style? These do not support the 8/80+ style that could use 60 series backing that support having hand brakes on the rear axle. The link shows these flanges being welding on a custom housing. Personally think it is easier just sourcing 40 series 8/80+ rear full floater. Really hard core thought people started with a Dana 60 axle.

Thanks for the responses. Mainly benefits of a full floater. I am not sure if they have later 8/80+ style. Full floaters are hard to come by. Wondering if this is an option. I did see that it is welded on a custom housing. I will check into it with the vendor and report back.

Thanks for the responses. Mainly benefits of a full floater. I am not sure if they have later 8/80+ style. Full floaters are hard to come by. Wondering if this is an option. I did see that it is welded on a custom housing. I will check into it with the vendor and report back.

There is a 8/80 later style. Have one semi floater with hand brakes. Plus two full floaters, one from 40/42 series that has no sway bar tabs but hand brakes. The other is from a 45/47 series that only has the mount for the hand brake cable on the weld back plate on the diff. That one would need parts from 60 series rear axle to add hand brakes and few brackets for hand brake cable. I could rob all brake the brake part from semi floater but doesn't make sense to part out a rare axle in the US. Plus I bought a set off 66 FJ40 axles years ago. Owner had all the brake parts from a 60 series rear axle he threw in. Guessing he didn't realize all the differences in the backing plates. He also had Super Winch locking hubs. Another thing he couldn't use.

There is a 8/80 later style. Have one semi floater with hand brakes. Plus two full floaters, one from 40/42 series that has no sway bar tabs but hand brakes. The other is from a 45/47 series that only has the mount for the hand brake cable on the weld back plate on the diff. That one would need parts from 60 series rear axle to add hand brakes and few brackets for hand brake cable. I could rob all brake the brake part from semi floater but doesn't make sense to part out a rare axle in the US. Plus I bought a set off 66 FJ40 axles years ago. Owner had all the brake parts from a 60 series rear axle he threw in. Guessing he didn't realize all the differences in the backing plates. He also had Super Winch locking hubs. Another thing he couldn't use.

Wow. You have quite the collection of bits. Nicely done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom