Converting 3speed transfer from dash to floor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GeoW5

SILVER Star
Threads
I am moving the dash transfer case to a floor shifter.

Anyone have a way to cut the three speed tranny tunnel cover to add the floor shifter for the transfer case or do i buy another cover. if i buy another what fits a ‘65 FJ40?

Drill starter hole, then use saber saw with a hacksaw/metal cutting blade.
Hey sorry to butt in but, I sent Downey a message the other day regarding a v8 swap. Downey's original tech instructions suggested the original frame mounts could be used. Is that still true today as the best option for mounting a 5.7L 350? If it can be done is there a recommendation on what motor mounts to use?

I am moving the dash transfer case to a floor shifter.

Anyone have a way to cut the three speed tranny tunnel cover to add the floor shifter for the transfer case or do i buy another cover. if i buy another what fits a ‘65 FJ40?

George,

I would add to Downeys advice the following: if I were doing this, I would purchase the upper and lower boots for the FOUR SPEED tcase lever and use them as the template for cutting the hole.

The stick is noisy, and the lower boot (not available for the early stick) helps cut down the vibration.

I’m not up to date on who carries the repop lower boot, but the upper is a readily available dealer item.

Last edited:
Cripes Texas, I read your message about the motor mounts, then lost the message somehow due to my illiteracy. I would not use the front bolt-in front cradle mount that uses the stock Landcruiser frame mounts, not as strong, plus then very difficult to install a power steering pump when the time comes. I'm down to 2 sets of reconditioned front side weld-in motor mounts, one set for the earlier Generation I Chevy V8 engine (3 bolt pattern), and one set for the Generation III Chevy V8 engine (4 bolt pattern). Lemme know if interested.

Cripes Texas, I read your message about the motor mounts, then lost the message somehow due to my illiteracy. I would not use the front bolt-in front cradle mount that uses the stock Landcruiser frame mounts, not as strong, plus then very difficult to install a power steering pump when the time comes. I'm down to 2 sets of reconditioned front side weld-in motor mounts, one set for the earlier Generation I Chevy V8 engine (3 bolt pattern), and one set for the Generation III Chevy V8 engine (4 bolt pattern). Lemme know if interested.

I may have one of your NOS sets on the shelf yet Jim. Not exactly a prime businessmodel.

OK cool, Then I'll remove the stock frame mounts. My engine is a Gen 1, so I would be interested in what you have.

George,

I would add to Downeys advice the following: if I were doing this, I would purchase the upper and lower boots for the FOUR SPEED tcase lever and use them as the template for cutting the hole.

The stick is noisy, and the lower boot (not available for the early stick) helps cut down the vibration.

I’m not up to date on who carries the repop lower boot, but the upper is a readily available dealer item.

to get the center of the hole would you lay the cover over the shift lever attach point and then make starter hole. to me it looks like its going to be on the side or sloping side of the tunnel cover. i would love to see a pic of one someone had done

It definitely slopes over the side. It is tedious getting the hole ’just right’ but IMO, you’re better off doing your own cut-to-fit. I’ve seen several factory holes that were off a little, but just enough for the customer’s truck to bump out of gear while four wheeling when the stick hit the edge of the hole but the powertrain was still torquing.

Hey sorry to butt in but, I sent Downey a message the other day regarding a v8 swap. Downey's original tech instructions suggested the original frame mounts could be used. Is that still true today as the best option for mounting a 5.7L 350? If it can be done is there a recommendation on what motor mounts to use?
Check out ADVANCE ADPATERS: They will have everything you need, decent prices, great tech support

It definitely slopes over the side. It is tedious getting the hole ’just right’ but IMO, you’re better off doing your own cut-to-fit. I’ve seen several factory holes that were off a little, but just enough for the customer’s truck to bump out of gear while four wheeling when the stick hit the edge of the hole but the powertrain was still torquing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom