Convert JDM front axle from RHD to LHD (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MauiUZJ

Gotta have duct tape...
Threads
So I have found a complete FZJ80 locally that someone took the axles out from underneath. It is otherwise complete and could well be put back together.

I recently bought at auction a totalled JDM 94 FZJ80 that had been rolled over very shortly after being Fresh off the Boat.

I’m wondering how feasible it is to install these axles into a US spec 97 80. I expect the rear axle and traction bars are the same.

I hope all I have to source to convert the Right Hand Drive front Axle to work in a Left Hand Drive chassis are the steering linkage and the top of the knuckles for both sides.

Pictures to follow; I pickup the JDM Landcruiser from the tow lot tomorrow.

Last edited:
I hope all I have to source to convert the Right Hand Drive front Axle to work in a Left Hand Drive chassis are the steering linkage and the top of the knuckles for both sides.
Panhard mount?

Would the pan hard mount point need to be cut and swapped to the other side?
I've never examined it in that context. I suspect it either can't be done that way or it would be much easier to get a new OEM mount (no idea if they are available) or fab one.

Last edited:
I've never examined it in that context. I suspect it either can't be done that way or it would be much easier to get a new OEM mount (no idea if they are available) or fab one.
Need to look at both my 93 US Spec 80 and this 94 JDM RHD chassis side by side. guess I’ll find out more when I get both of them side by side.

Need to look at both my 93 US Spec 80 and this 94 JDM RHD chassis side by side. guess I’ll find out more when I get both of them side by side.
You wouldn't be swapping the frame mount, you would have to modify the axle. The panhard must mimic the drag link. (Also, it would be a lot more work to modify the frame link.)

You wouldn't be swapping the frame mount, you would have to modify the axle. The panhard must mimic the drag link. (Also, it would be a lot more work to modify the frame link.)
For sure. I get that all mods should be done in the axle if it’s reasonable possible. I just meant I would be able to compare all the differences with both vehicles side by side...

Well she was rolled really hard. my other 80 is home, so I’m not sure if this pan hard rod is on the opposite side.

58BF12E7-3664-4DDA-87DA-A038E26B0CEB.jpeg

82638620-7D18-4DFC-B9C1-937093658558.jpeg

E77EE805-A846-4DA7-BC84-6EB07D38CDD1.jpeg

You wouldn't be swapping the frame mount, you would have to modify the axle. The panhard must mimic the drag link.
Well she was rolled really hard. my other 80 is home, so I’m not sure if this pan hard rod is on the opposite side.

It is. What spike is saying is that the panhard and drag link have to be perfectly parallel or you'll be in for an adventure come your first road bump. So they originate on the driver's side and mount on the axle passenger side, regardless of rhd or lhd

It is. What spike is saying is that the panhard and drag link have to be perfectly parallel or you'll be in for an adventure come your first road bump. So they originate on the driver's side and mount on the axle passenger side, regardless of rhd or lhd
OK, so I am in for hunting down another front axle to resurrect another 80 I found that has no axles under it.

Switched the wheels and tires to my US Spec 80. I am missing one of the silver center caps with the black center and gold Toyota logo.

58bf12e7-3664-4dda-87da-a038e26b0ceb-jpeg.3271659

Looking at this pic, is that a crack by the ball?? Looking between the steering stop and the track bar bracket. Hard to tell if its just grease build up or a crack.....

58bf12e7-3664-4dda-87da-a038e26b0ceb-jpeg.3271659

Looking at this pic, is that a crack by the ball?? Looking between the steering stop and the track bar bracket. Hard to tell if its just grease build up or a crack.....
It was just a lot of grease buildup. I looked up under there close. No apparent damage to the drivetrain. There is a damaged rear shock and rear drag link.

I've done a complete RHD to LHD conversion a few years ago. You can't buy panhard mounts from Toyota. Fabricating one from scratch was the easiest option. Not terribly difficult - just used a square steel pipe (with correct wall thickness) cut into various shapes and welded together. End result was virtually identical to original.

20200926_152530.jpg

20200926_152539.jpg

20200928_153335.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom