Conversion to R134, Pulley mis-alignment, and jumping belts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Mis-aligned R134 Compressor pulleys - Is this a common issue?

Background: AC was R12 and not working, I had the system converted to R134, the compressor lost charge in 2 days, new compressor and belt, and everything ran fine for over a year.

I had another shop replace the Power Steering Pump (horrible whine) and Gear Box. My bright idea was "Replace all the belts while you are in there." Mistake and I forgot the AC belt was only a year old. It has thrown 3 belts in succession (shop to my house less than 2 miles).

It is going back to the original shop. I suspect they will be able to make it work again (I suspect a different belt may be the trick to "make it work"). I want to correct the mis-alignment eventually. Any recommendations? Is this common? If the new belts works - does this fall into "If its not broke don't fix it?"

The mis alignment is a little less than half a belt width from the compressor sheave to the tensioner sheave. The Belt is 5/8 inch wide (5/8" =10/16th" - so one half is 5/16th"). I measured the mis-alignment by laying a ruler on the face of the idler pulley and running the flat edge to the "V" of the compressor pulley. Almost center of the "V". Subtract about 1/8" (2/16ths) for the distance from the face of the pulley to the edge of the belt. That leaves a mis alignment of 3/16th of an inch (4.78 mm converted) (5/16 minus 2/16). It does not sound like much, but the two sheaves are pretty close.

Thanks in advance.

First step, what year is it?

Ugh. Yep. Rookie mistake and I know better. 91 FJ80 with 3FE engine.

The first compressor that came in - the mechanic said was definitely not correct. He relayed that mine was early in the model year and some stuff changed mid-year. I don't know for sure - just passing along what I was told.

Your original post has confusing information.
You wrote, "new compressor and belt, and everything ran fine for over a year." That tells me that there is no issue with belt alignment.
Then you say, "I had another shop replace the Power Steering Pump". After the PS pump replacement it started throwing belts.
How is that related to the AC compressor if the current AC compressor has been running fine for over a year?

The 3FE has 3 belts. Which of the 3 belts is not running correctly??
There is also a belt routing diagram with part numbers for the 3FE engine in the resources section.

It is the AC Belt. And it is currently staying engaged. Long story short - There is mis-alignment, and belts from one manufacturer are more sensitive to the mis-alignment than another.

Yes everything was working correctly (even with the mis-alignment), then I had the bight idea to change all the belts when getting a new power steering pump. That started the problem.

The shop that did the compressor replacement used a certain manufacturer's belt (not sure what forum rules are for naming specific manufacturers). That worked.

The shop that replaced all the belts (at my request) while replacing the Power Steering Pump used a belt from a different supplier. They just kept re-ordering the same belt from their supplier, and getting the same results (3 times).

After getting it back to the original shop that did the compressor replacement - they used the same belt they used the first time, and all is working again. Turns out it was a belt type section issue.

I still want to address the mis-alignment, but at least I have AC again now that the weather is heating up in Virginia.

How did you verify that there is mis alignment at the compressor?

Here you go, i have used a similar tool when i used to work for dealerships.;)

Ugh. Yep. Rookie mistake and I know better. 91 FJ80 with 3FE engine.

The first compressor that came in - the mechanic said was definitely not correct. He relayed that mine was early in the model year and some stuff changed mid-year. I don't know for sure - just passing along what I was told.

IF its a parallel alignment issue (not on the same plane) you might have a compressor with an incorrect nose length. I seem to remember there are two but might not apply to your model.

All. Thanks for your help.

It does appear to be a nose length issue, and the way the compressor is mounted - there is no finangling it with washers for added length to get it to line up. It is working fine with the new rubber belt (the fabric covered one was just jumping). Looks like I will be living with this.
Vipergrhd - When viewed from the side (thru the "window" between the inner fender and the frame - it is obvious that the belt has a angle to it.
Next question I will be posting is electrical in nature

E2737864-2533-4123-8155-F220F8D6F86A.jpeg

Surely there is way to shim the tensioner pulley out?

All. Thanks for your help.

It does appear to be a nose length issue, and the way the compressor is mounted - there is no finangling it with washers for added length to get it to line up. It is working fine with the new rubber belt (the fabric covered one was just jumping). Looks like I will be living with this.
Vipergrhd - When viewed from the side (thru the "window" between the inner fender and the frame - it is obvious that the belt has a angle to it.
Next question I will be posting is electrical in nature

I wouldn't live with it - I would get the correct compressor and a Toyota belt and fix the problem.

I’m in the states. Sourcing parts is tricky. I called Toyota with a part # that I got from cruiser outfitters and it came back that the number was invalid. If I can figure out what compressor I need I’ll buy it. Or if I could figure out the correct clutch Id just swap the clutches

How much offset are we talking there? Is the tensioner/idler pulley replaceable and held on by a shoulder bolt?

I guess I'm not seeing why you can't shim it out 1/4" or so. You don't need to be completely inline with the compressor pulley in order to keep the belt from coming off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom