Continuous power steering Issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

So I have an ongoing problem with my power steering system. The power steering fluid just keeps leaking. The steering gearbox has been replaced twice within the past year. Pump and resivoir have also been replaced. Usually they don’t leak for a good week and then the leak just comes back. It’s a slow leak but it just never stops. I have 35s and about 4” of lift, I’m not sure if that would affect the power steering or not. But I don’t know a whole lot in this topic.

Please let me know what y’all think, or if someone could point me in the right direction to another thread addressing this topic. Thanks!

image.jpg

image.jpg

New hose? New clamps? Looks like leak from above getting blown to the bottom.

New hose? New clamps? Looks like leak from above getting blown to the bottom.
Yes, new hoses and new clamps have been put in as well. It’s is now making a whining sound when I drive it, so I checked and topped off the fluid and it still is leaking and making sounds.

On the bottom fitting with the o-ring, if the flat part that mounts to the pump gets tweaked even a little, it will drip. I have learned this the hard way on mine and dealt with it on a friends rig recently. On the last one, he pushed the reservoir back a little to gain access. this bent the fitting slightly. I had to flatten the mount almost perfectly before it stopped dripping. This was with a new o-ring also.

Is it an OEM pump? OEM O-ring?
Yes, everything is OEM.
On the bottom fitting with the o-ring, if the flat part that mounts to the pump gets tweaked even a little, it will drip. I have learned this the hard way on mine and dealt with it on a friends rig recently. On the last one, he pushed the reservoir back a little to gain access. this bent the fitting slightly. I had to flatten the mount almost perfectly before it stopped dripping. This was with a new o-ring also.
00D67302-B770-4216-99E9-E488A186CC86.jpeg

Is this the flat piece you are talking about?

yes

oops hit post before I was done. It can bend out towards the bolt. the leak will be where the tube goes in, farthest away from the bolt

Looks like two leaks - 1 on the pump itself and 1 from the res.
The res leak is either the res itself blowing fluid past the cap gasket (old cap?), running down the sides of the res, then underneath to the hose and down the outside of the hose to the pump...Orrrr, the res is leaking thru a weld on the res tank, then down the hose to the pump.

Had an inline filter on the return line to the res once that leaked like a first gen vape tank.

What type of fluid are you running?
Is it foaming? If you remove the cap, you might see this.
The fact that it's whining makes me wonder if it's foaming.
Is the seal under your cap soft? Mine was hard as a rock. It seeped until I replaced it.
On my year, there's an o-ring around the underside of the lid. You have to forcefully take it apart. I globbered FIPG on it and it's staying dry now.
Good Luck with it!

So I was finally able to check under the cruiser this weekend. I wiped everything up and drove it around for a while and then checked everything and it seems like the leak just disappeared. Sometimes its there and sometimes its not, I'm not sure what the problem is... I checked all the spots y'all suggested and everything looked just fine. It'll probably start leaking again soon, since my car has a mind of its own. But thank y'all for helping out on this! I really appreciate it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom