continues duty relay (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Greetings S -

Is this for a dual battery application?

If so, you might consider something available locally. I used an Echlin ST36 in mine (Napa, and possibly other retail chains...) which is also rated at 200A. Been going strong for several years now without a hitch, and considerably less $$$. At the much better price, you can even carry a spare ;)

Cheers, R -

Hey thanks R
Yes I am working on gathering all the parts for a dual battery set up like George has. I was going to go hellroaring due to simplicity but after my lessons on 12v electrical work :flipoff2: I feel confident enough to tackle this one. I'll take your advise and look around localy. Hope you summer was good and that your Thanksgiving is great. My tank works great by the way, I can even toggle between tanks with a fancy custom switch a friend sent me. Pretty cool huh. :D
Take care R
Steven

I think this OEM does pretty much similar functions. In my case I think it distributes the charge rate from my alternator to my two batteries and also combines them for my 24 volt starter. All other accessories I have are 12 volts.

Unfortunately, I have no idea of what they cost as they are not available locally except as second hand parts. I've been looking for a source fopr this specific item for some time as mine has grown defective and I'm keeping it functional with an added relay.

Kalawang
026_26x.jpg

On my Dual setup I used a Ford Heavy Duty Solenoid for the continous duty. Ill look through my receipt book for a part number if youre interested.

Kalawang -

Just out of curiosity, where exactly does that solenoid mount in your truck?

Also, can you post the part number for us... just a bit too small to read in your pix.

Thanks! R -

I'd go solid-state if you can afford it. Solenoids are great when they're brand new, but there's a reason why they're the highest failure-rate automotive component. Wrangler has a solid-state isolator which is worthy of consideration should you choose to go the solid-state route.

ParadiseCruiser said:
Kalawang -

Just out of curiosity, where exactly does that solenoid mount in your truck?

Also, can you post the part number for us... just a bit too small to read in your pix.

Thanks! R -

It mounts behind the left side battery beside the fuse box with a flock of wires connected to it. I'm ignorant on the matter and the part number is not visible to me unless I dismount the unit again. I can probably do that later in the week if it's important to you.

A friend who is good with electrics told me this is a sort of solenoid that distributes the charge to each of my 2 batteries and also feeds my 24 volt starter. ( I drive a deisel ). The thing is no longer fully functional but I kept things going by adding a relay to it that boosts the electricity feed for the starter. The part is not available locally except as a second hand.

I doubt you would find it in the states as OEM though there might be substitutes of the do the same type.

Kalawang

So does anyone have rough dimentions for the Western solinoid? I tried localy but it needs to be ordered as well as costing the same amount as the mail order one. :mad: Being in Alaska makes some chooses limited. So for my cardboard mock up could some one post rough size?

Bluesea offers what I think is a superior continuous duty solenoid, and publishes the dimensions on their website.

K -

>> It mounts behind the left side battery beside the fuse box

Thanks for that.

>> I can probably do that [dismount] later in the week if it's important to you.

Not necessary, but thanks. Next time you have some other reason to dismount the solenoid, please make a note of the p/n and post it.

Cheers, R -

Steve;

The Wrangler relay 29-281 [not the one you are looking at, but will do the same thing] ; will occupy a rectangular box of these dimensions: 5 inches high, base to top of relay studs; mounting base is 2 1/8 inches x 2 7/8 inches.

Relay itself is 2 7/8 inches high x 2 1/8 inches x 1 1/2 inches.
Hope that helps a little.

dfmorse said:
Steve;

The Wrangler relay 29-281 [not the one you are looking at, but will do the same thing] ; will occupy a rectangular box of these dimensions: 5 inches high, base to top of relay studs; mounting base is 2 1/8 inches x 2 7/8 inches.

Relay itself is 2 7/8 inches high x 2 1/8 inches x 1 1/2 inches.
Hope that helps a little.

Yea :bounce:
That was just what I was looking for, thank you so much, off to cut cardboard :flipoff2:
Steven

Glad to help..

You can go to my public profile and see my web page on what I did.

Curious, why the 200 amp solenoid? This solenoid is responible for distributing the current from the alternator to the second battery. None of our alternators put out 200 amp so why the need for this mondo solenod? Even if the winch is connected to the second battery, the max current flow (under full load) is going to be the max capacity of the alternator at best.

When the winch is operated the max current flow is going to be the lessor of the winch's current demand or the batteries' max amperage output. You can easily be looking at 400 amps or greater, presuming the wiring is up to the task.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom