Continue building my 2014 or go to 2016+ and build from there? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m kinda at a crossroads. With the realization that LCs are no more - at least for the foreseeable future, do I trade up or continue with the 2014?

Is the 2016+ a move I should make? I’ve only done suspension, rack and bumper on the 2014 so far but planning a long range tank, rear bumper and a bunch of other stuff.

The interior on the 16+ is a big upgrade and that’s kinda what has me on the fence. It’s just so cozy on the inside. I love my truck but I’m seriously considering selling it and buying a 16 or 17.

Do you think it’s worth it?

I love my 2016. The interior is definitely a huge selling point, along with the new transmission, the updated exterior, and the assorted new features. Since it's being discontinued, I always say it's "new forever" - there will not be a newer or nicer Land Cruiser for the foreseeable future in the US.

Resale is great on 200's right now, so it may be the best time to sell your '14 and get a '16+. The '18+ adds the power liftgate and a few other small goodies.

Most of your mods will transfer over, and it will be exciting to have mods on your new one. It feels like a whole new Land Cruiser, just familiar.

However, if you're very attached to yours, then it may be worth sticking with it for sentimental reasons. I know that a '13+ 200 in Amazon Green, for example, is something I personally would reconsider replacing with a '16+, and I prefer my non-HE '16+ to the Heritage Edition.

The way I see it, the only regret with upgrading will be the hit to your wallet :)

I went recently through this. I have a 2015 that I planned to build and bought a 2021 to build instead. But I am keeping the 2015 (in mostly stock form).

I don't think it's worth it. HE tipped the scales for me, but a base 2016+ wold be less compelling. I don't think interior makes a big difference, except black headliner, which I think will be easier to keep clean (especially the A-pillars and the grab handles), but this is a marginal difference. OTOH makes it feel more claustrophobic. But to get one you need to get terra interior (not everyone likes it), or HE.

For me the big plus is sleeker looking TJM bumper on the 3rd gen of 200. I also liked the 2-row (but that's HE 2020 or 2021 only), so I did not have to remove the jump seats, but again this is rather marginal difference. If I end up with drawers it's more hassle, will have to drill to uncover captive nuts in the floor. 8-speed may or not may be the plus due to lower crawl ratio, but it's clunkier and less proven transmission.

2016 and 2017 are my least favorite years because you get the mandatory screens. You can delete them but you'll end up with fugly covers.

Do it if you want to make yourself happy, but don't kid yourself it will be be huge difference. In the long run, the 2nd gen 200 (2013-2015) may end up being most sought years due to the updates/options over 1st gen (2008-2011) but still with the 6-speed. There is fewest of them around. Fewer produced than 1st gen and 3rd gen.

Last edited:
You haven't said what you plan to do with it. They all wheel the same. The 16 has a nicer interior with better switch layout, nicer leather and the 8 speed tranny. My 2014 is awesome and never let me down. It has the 6 speed tranny which is also the same tranny the Canagru team races their 200 with. I also have had no issues or concerns with the 6 speed towing a 4000lb trailer up steep MTN passes

The interior to me is the bigger upgrade and there are mods here to remove the screens. I debated on the upgrade and thinking of just moving stuff over. I drove a 16 and yes it was nicer (Interior) with about the same ride. For me it wasnt worth it, but for you that might be different. Its personal choice

I spent my extra cash upgrading my BMW Z4 to a new one with a much nicer interior. My 2014 LC only has 80K miles on it and its in perfect shape. With the Z4 I am only putting under 8K miles a year the last few years, and much of that is wheeling/trip miles. Actually with Covid that's probably closer to 3K the last year

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I think I'm going to just continue with the 2014 build. The 16+ interior is great but having a hard time justifying the cost. Not just the truck, that's not that big of a deal but when I also factor in the mods I've already done and starting over it gets a bit less attractive.

Thanks again

The cost is the whole issue.

I was in your same situation about 3 years ago. I had an '11 that had about 130K miles on it, only had it for a year, but I was just starting to invest in it, and decided I should really be working with something newer with more life before I put a ton of $$$ into it for mods. I also really wanted some of the goodies that the '13-15 had, like radar cruise, etc. The '16+ at the time were just out of my budget. I found a super nice '15 down in CT (only had 40K miles) that already had RW wheels on it so I made the swap. I was VERY glad I did.

Get what you want, as long as you can afford it.

I was in a similar quandary, and ended up getting a newer one. For me, it was a way to get into a lower mileage vehicle to get a longer service life. It was a lot of work moving all of the mods from my '13 to my '16, and if I had to pay someone to do that work, that would have pushed me in the direction of staying with the '13. Fortunately, I did all of the work, so it was cost neutral.

To me it all boils down to how many miles you have on your '14. If it's still a rather low mile vehicle then I'd stick with it and charlie mike. The 2016+ is definitely nicer in many ways but it'll come down to money in the end and I just don't see the upgrade worth it in the long run. Sure you'll get good money out of your 2014 right now but you'll also have to turn around and spend top dollar on the newer one making it even harder to justify. Unless your current Cruiser has super high miles I vote you keep it and carry on.

That's the thing - my 2014 is just about paid off and I'm not thrilled with the prospect of having another car payment. It has about 100k on it, so just passed the break in period. :cool:

It's also loaded with cold weather package, radar cruise, projector headlights, etc.

Renewing a car payment plus starting upside down with about $5k in mods....eh.

I do believe you just answered the question for yourself.

It does but the infotainment is still years behind everyone else.

I've had both pre and post 16 200s. The 16+ interior is a little bit nicer (I find the exterior styling to be the more significant factor), but the 8 speed and MTS is unquestionably better off road. I actually prefer the 6 speed on road however, and the 13-15 gets most of the upgrades of the 16+, just slightly less refined. The values of all 200s have risen in the last year which helps when you sell, but it also hurts when you buy. Keep in mind there are a lot of buyers out there looking at every single 200 for sale, so it is not easy to find a good deal or the right combo of colors/miles/history. Parts to build vehicles are also hard to find right now with covid restricting supply at the same time demand is at an all time high. I recommend keeping what you already have, and I can tell you from having a 2 year old 2016 with under 40k miles and a 13 year old 2008 with nearly 200k on it - they all drive basically the same if well maintained!

Reading your story, I think it's best you stay with the '14. Make it look sensational to you, take care of the mechanicals, and enjoy for a long time. The upgrade down the road will happen naturally I think. Good luck and have fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom