Contemplating Purchase of FJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
*UPDATE* PIC ADDED - Contemplating Purchase of FJ62

attachment.php

First off this is my first post on here and I am looking for some approval for what I am about to do - LOL. If this is not a sane move however please chime in and let me know...

My brother-in-law is selling his '89 FJ62. He just purchased an LR3 - which has prompted the sale. Here is the skinny on it - as I know so far - as I have yet to talk to him directly:

He bought it brand new
He has taken good care of it but it has a small amount of rust
It has on door ding due to a delivery guy
New brakes were just put on
It needs an exhuast - already have that covered with a buddy of mine - cheap

I am in CO and he is in MD so I am going to ask for some pics. He says that it runs great but I am sure it will need to be tuned once it is at altitude.

There is a bunch more info that I need to find out and I will post once I know it. He has been offered as much as 10K in the past for it. So here is the skinny.

He is willing to sell it to me for $1500. Shipping will be around $850. So in total, to my door from MD, it will cost me about $2350 - unless I can make him split the shipping cost with me - LOL.

So... what do you think? I am thinking it could be fun and I would have about $6K in the near future to make sure it is mechanically sound - and have some fun with it too :D

I would love some input if you think this is worth it.

Thanks in advance......
HPIM1519_small.JPG

Last edited:
As long as the body is not rotted away, and it runs well, I'd say go for it. It seems like a real good deal including shipping. You might have more fun and get to know better what it needs by flying out there, looking at it firsthand, and then driving back. It'll be the beginning of your cruiser adventure.

Nope the body is not rusted away at all... very minor. Before he bought the new rig he was going to get it fixed... but alas...

I thought about flying out there and driving back but with the cost of it all (time off, airfare, etc.) it would be cheaper just to have it shipped.

I have ridden in it before... about 4 years ago... and it was in good condition at the time. He is 42, paid cash for it, and has taken very good care of it - he is very anal. So, with all that I have read today, I am thinking this may be a good deal.

Go for it. Even if you end up hating it and sell it, you'll come out ahead. The change in altitude doesn't require any changes. The fuel injection will take care of it.

Kind of what I have been thinking as well. I guess I will just take the plunge and see what happens.

Right now I am just going to start passing the time thinking about the different things I can do to it - i.e. suspension, wheels, tires, etc.

The exhaust needs to be replaced - I believe cats too. I have a friend here in town that works for a shop that will bend everything up for me and get cats at a cheap price. Anyone recommend a good muffler? Should I stick with the stock diameter or increase? Increasing should up perf but I do not want to give up low end either. Thoughts?

I guess I will just try the search too... lol... I am getting excited.

I am off to try and get in touch with the in-law :bounce:

Assuming it's in reasonable shape, you can't loose on this deal. The cost of buying it plus shipping is less than (or at least equal to) the market price. Sounds like maintaincance is good, so the only worry is rust. If that's not too bad, then you're golden.

I say buy it.

Of course, I'm biased, as in I like cruisers....

Tis what I am thinking as well. I spoke to him more about it and he states it is in good shape.

It has all the power options
He recently replaced both electric mirrors on it
New rubber
New brakes
Does not leak any fluids - this kind of shocked me
Interior is in good shape
Has only seen light (trails) offroad use
153000 miles on it to be exact

The other good thing is that he is a bit on the OCD side and takes care of things well. He is going to be taking some pics and sending them to me in the near future.

He indicated it has some light rust where the trim meets the metal. He had a quote of $1K to get it fixed but has yet to do so - so if I buy I may be looking to do this.

I guess at this point I am just waiting to hear back from him with the pics.

Dude guys are paying around 4k for 60 series wagons with that much mileage. Sounds like a fat score of a deal to me. Hell if I had the loose cash I'ld be willing to buy it out from under you for a $500 profit to you, but alas I do not.

DO IT!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom