Contemplating a move to Aiken SC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All!

My name is Mike and I have been offered a decent job in Aiken SC.

I currently live in Southern California and I am wondering if anyone here has some insight to the Aiken area.

I have a 78 FJ40 that I like to take wheeling/camping pretty often:

1600793318157.png

I'm afraid I would miss the ability to 4-wheel like we have out here in CA.

Are there a lot of fun trails within drivable distance of this part of SC?

Any opinions on the area?

Thank you,

Mike

Hi Mike! I haven't been to Aiken, but I moved here to Charleston from Palmdale, CA over 10 years ago. It is definitely different in so many ways, but I think you'll be happy with the decision. Admittedly, the humidity really stinks, but it's also nice not having your skin dry out.

Regarding trails, there aren't a whole lot of offerings in South Carolina compared to our neighboring states... But you're not far from Gulches ORV Park and up the road in Asheville, NC there are some trails. If you're willing to make a few hour trek, there are plenty of places to go and there's bound to be something that jives with the type of wheeling you like to do. Check out the Georgia Traverse, Hurricane Creek (NC), and Windrock Park (TN, a bit of a drive, but worth it).

Sounds like quite a transition from Newport Beach!

I'm from NY and my sister is in Raleigh so I know the humidity.

I'm going to fly out next week to check the area out...

Thank you for the advice!

Mike

Moved from Charleston, SC to Boise, Idaho a year ago and I don't miss the Humidity at all. Loving the dry climate out west and the access to beautiful sights all around. My friends in SC are jealous of the weather daily. Almost enough reason in itself to never go back. But thats just my 2 cents :) Definitely saw a lot less cruisers on the east coast from my experience.

Did you make this decision/move? I have family in Aiken. It is a small, charming town with a slowish pace. Depending on your personality/family needs, that may work great. Or it might be trouble if you need energy and buzz in a town. It is filled with great people though, and I have always enjoyed going to the horse races during visits. I have no experience with wheeling in the area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom