constant/excessive panting in Boxer Lab mix. your thoughts please.

miked

the dog: boxer/lab mix. approx 7yrs old. runt of litter. timid and loving but beware if you step into our yard..
name: Cody, CodyMo, Codylisimo, Codums, Cochums, Codog, CodyWoo.
problem: excessive/constant panting.
backround: cody spent the first three years of his life under the care of my friend/roommate. i came on the scene about four years ago. all was well untill about one and a half year ago. Cody started panting all the time. even though the other two dogs were comfortable, CodyTron would pant as if it were 110+. of course i put forth the idea that there was something wrong with him but my roomy would counter "he's just hot", or "he's got a thick coat and he needs to cool himself". well, it's now to the point that i don't believe any of it. we've been through two cold winters keeping the house just warm enough for a sweater and it doesn't seem to matter if it's hot or cold... he still pants like...like he's starving for air.
my roommate has almost trained him to stop breathing because it is so annoying to him.

here's the current situation:
roommate is moving to virginia and doesn't think he will be able to find a rental that will take two dogs. based on that and some other things that i don't want to go into now <miked turns his head aside and mentions under his breath that Codiwon gets beat for just being a dog> i've agreed to adopt him. Cody likes me better anyways so i guess its for the best. in fact i'm sure it's for the best because i'm taking him to the vet for the first time in years. my roommate refuses to belive that there could be anything wrong with the dog because (i think) it would reflect negatively on him. ironic because he (at times) can be the biggest champion of animal rights you've ever seen. this is where the conundrum enters. he's all about treating dogs/pets to the utmost but he refuses to accept the possibility that there could be anything wrong with one of his pets unless there is an emergency. he really is an animal lover at heart but i just can't understand how someone can be so...ignant as to think there is no problem.

i guess my question is: what could make a dog pant ALL THE TIME?

i've done a preliminary inquiry on this and my fear is that the dog has heart or lung worms. i've tried to tell him this a few times but he denies that it could even be possible.

so, has anyone had a dog with this symptom? keep in mind i have other dogs and they do not pant unless i'm panting too. (meaning it's too hot and we need to find cool air quickly( we live in the imperial valley of so-cal and the temps can get really really amazingly hot))

If you were in AZ or the SouthWest I might guess at Valley Fever but if you're not then I don't know. Some short snout dogs do this worse then others. I have American Bulldogs as they are the greatest dog in the world (sorry to have to let everybody else know their dogs suck)...

Holly crap I'm ranting! Point is, they may be an issue there, dog may have an allergy (try feeding lamb based food instead of chicken) so I would switch dogfood.. If you can go to Costco use their Kirkland brand as it's EXCELLENT food for the money. Otherwise, smokers in the house, people blowing weed in the dogs face at parties... Could be many things but I'd try to figure out what changed then. Could have also gotten something from a tick if you live in the area of the Rockys.

I mean these are just educated guesses so don't think I'm a vet. Trying to think of things you may have overlooked.

With that said, I'm stapled my dogs shut when they've gotten wounded, given them antibiotics to make sure they healed well. Give them a HUGE yard to run around in with 3 water sources just in case, all are micro-chipped and well cared for. I love them but there are no vets in their future. I won't spend more on one of my dogs then it costs to replace them and I'm ATTACHED to one of them VERY much.

I have an old cowboy mind frame on them and if I were gonna blow $1,000 on a dog I'd buy a new one for $300 and buy a single mom in need a $700 yota. Hate to say it but if it's too sick to fix I have a $0.10 solution to any dog sickness..

Here's my cute little pup! I always wonder why neighbor hood kids just leave their balls in my yard if it goes over the fence....

Panting

Here are some very basic differentials for panting, with disorders more specific to dogs:
1) Thermoregulation-which you've ruled-out as a problem
2) Pain-may have tumor somewhere, hip dysplasia (I'm sure you'd notice him walking abnormally, though), other causes of pain
3) Metabolic Disorders-Hyperadrenocorticism (caused by either an active pituitary tumor or an adrenal tumor, causing excess release of cortisol from the adrenals), Another type of adrenal tumor, where excess catecholamines (adrenaline) are released from the adrenals, others.
4) Respiratory Disorders-a number of causes
5) Cardiac Disorders-Heartworm, Left sided heart failure causing pulmonary edema.
6) Regulation of Acid-Base Balance (metabolic acidosis)
That's all I can think of off the top of my head...
Probably where I would start, is to get a good physical exam--listen for arrhythmias or murmurs, palpate the abdomen for fluid or masses, listen for abnormal lung sounds, look at the skin closely for other evidence of metabolic disease, etc. Then, depending on what I found, I'd take rads of the heart and lungs, and probably the abdomen, and do some baseline bloodwork.

This dog could have a very serious problem, so I'd definitely recommend having him checked out. May be a bit spendy...

Like I said, I just pulled this off the top of my head...all my textbooks are on the way to Athens...I JUST graduated from veterinary school, AND I plan on being an equine veterinarian...I'm sure I've left a multitude of differentials off my list, but I hope I helped a little.
Good luck, and let us know how it goes at the veterinarian.
:princess:

miked

just thought i'd update the situation.
the roommate and i got to talking about Cody. he has agreed to pay for a visit to the Vet.
i'm going to have a full level 4 diagnostic done.
after reading the post from The Bear, i was worried about the cost but was going to do it anyway. i just felt burned sorta.
btw, Bear, thanks for the reply. i remember having seen your post about finishing veterinary school so when i saw you had something to say, i inched forward in my chair and read with interest.
i'll let you all know what it turns out to be.

Top Bottom