Considering the update (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Shhhhhh - don't tell any of the 60 series guys I'm over here!

I've got a few 80 questions, as I am considering the update. My poor old 60 is not only tired, it's a pain in the ass.

I don't want to make a big jump - I like the idea of the 3FE 80s, plus, they are cheap. I know that they don't have the horse power of the 1FZ, but I don't really care about that. Here are my questions:

1) What sort of basic problems would I be looking forward to with the?
a) electrical
b) mechanical
c) amenities

2) How hard is the AWD on the drivetrain? I know that knuckle service is a bigger deal with the 80s, but does it wear anything else out that I should look at?

3) I assume that the gas mileage is terrible, but is there a way to improve on it? I'm currently getting 15mpg out of my 60 - yes, I'm a miracle worker...

4) What needs to be looked at @ 151k miles? Does the 3FE have a stupid timing belt (2F is gear-on-gear action, baby!) or anything else that wears out every 200 miles?

Here's what's come up...what's been up on the Autotrader for nearly a year and a half. The price started out at $9500, and is now down to $7300 - still a little high for a '92. Here's a link: http://autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?c...th&advanced=&start_year=1981&isp=y&cardist=11

I've been amazed at how long this thing has been up for sale. I haven't talked to them at all, but I'm considering it. My gut tells me they are looking for the "right" buyer - why else would it be in the autotrader for more than a year? Also, what's the real market price on a truck like this - high and low end?

Let me know what you guys think. I don't care about lockers or any of that - this would be used for the same thing as the 60 - light wheeling and expedition/travel. Also, my price range is on the low side, so the other option I'd have is a high mileage 1FZ, but I'm tired of topping up the oil, fixing little things that go out and all the rest that go with a 200k mile vehicle. (There's nothing quite like fixing your A/C and then having the fan/blower burn out in 100 degree heat...I've had enough of that crap.)

Any advice would be appreciated.

It's still around because it is way over-priced. Fuel mileage is what it is and there is nothing that can be done to improve it unless you start tossing bits overboard to lighten it. The front axle service is very much like what you would do to a 60-62 and the parts prices are comperable. The 3FE is a gear driven cam like the 2F. Overal maintainence would be similar to what you would do to care for your 60. One possible trouble spot would be the EFI relay curcuit. The wire used was a bit smaller than it should have been. That vehicle may have already been upgraded but if it hasn't it's easy to do.

Personally I would not spend more than 4 grand tops to purchase a 3FE powered 80 and it would have to be a puff at that.

D-

hmmm.... going to the dark side, eh? Luxury vehicles for mall-cruising stay-at-home wives of pig capitalists that are oppressing the working class, destroying the environment and resisting full assimilation of highly-valued alternative lifestyles that should rightfully be taught in elementary school? That kind of vehicle?
:D

Swank80? Kinda has a nice ring to it. :)

There are quite a few cream puff FJ80s in my area for a nice price... I'd be more than willing to take a look at any of them for you. Of course that would mean a road trip back to TX for you.

As CDan said, that one's overpriced. I've seen a few 93/94s go for that price around here.

Everything here is overpriced. '94 and up are in the $10-12k range, usually. I don't really want to finance - want to pay cash and be done with it. If I could find a 91-92 (in white, please) with 150k miles (or less) for $4k, I'd flat-out freak. I also don't want to pay 20% above the national average price, but then again, I'm lazy, and don't want to travel very far to pick one up.

Want-want-want. I'm a :princess: I know.

Swank -

If you are considering an FJ80 and not the FZJ80 then I would think that you could be looking at 62's as well, they have some creature comforts the 60 doesnt, 3FE and tranny same as the 80 etc, would expand your possibilities .... however people with 62's seem to think they are made of gold?

With that said, the one on Autotrader seems grossly overpriced. It does look like it has an aftermarket bumper and those running boards dont look stock either, worth a call and a low-ball offer IMHO.

Best of luck - :cheers:

Swank, I have a 91 and it is slower than my 60 was off the line. MPG is about 12 on highway but I have gotten 15 with a tail wind. as Dan mentioned, the maintainance is very simmilar but the raod manners and ride a worlds better. The prices round here, MN, for that year are in the mid 4's to mid 5's. I think that's a lot of truck for the money. I cpmpare that to the 97 I looked at last week with 85,000 on it for 19,000 and it makes the 91 look pretty good. I have added an ARB front bumper , Warn 9000, ARB "J" lift and am looking into a Slee rear bumper, BFG AT KO's in 33x10.5. Tha MPG went directly to 10 and is a bit slower on the uptake. The nice thing about the lift is I can sit up with crossed legs and work on the rear end with the spare removed. No lockers FR on the 91 or 92 unless they were after market, semi floater rear, front disc and rear drums, cloth interior which I prefer. Take out the factory stereo and put in an after market and a CB. Good luck on your search. PM me if you have any specific questions. I will try and answer them.

hey swank --

-- i would look at cars.com -- do a national search and you'll get the price down -- just watch out for the rust-belt --

-- $4K will be easy, just plan on a knuckle job --

-- if I can help with looking or transporting, I will --

-- my '91 was a NJ car, where they don't seem to have much snow and don't use a lot of salt, so I've got a nice rust-free vehicle that I love --

-- I like the FZJ, too, but it's different -- it's not as much a "truck" to me as the 3FE -- my opinion --

e

Gumby said:
Check out Gumby's Cruiser delivery service. We currently are having a special on the Chicago to Texas run. :D

You aren't selling your beloved 80 are you? ("Oh 80 series, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways…" --Gumby reflecting on the 80 series TLC) :D

Not to steer you away, but do you know anything about this one? I talked to her, name's Ginger, she has had it about 4 years, has been her DD.

http://autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?c...th&advanced=&start_year=1981&isp=y&cardist=38

I'd buy it, but need to pay cash, so I need something under 5K right now.

I watch the DFW area a lot as well. 60-62's are at a premium asking price, but I don't think many in that area are selling, either.

Good luck with your search.

I've seen that one up for a while now. The price has come down a bit - but it still seems a little high.

Yeah, as stated above, 62s have some sort of gold built into their construction somewhere. I think that 60 owners run a close second (Doc is selling his for $3k and that seems more than fair - but I keep seeing them for $5k plus, and for not-so-great rigs. :rolleyes: )

Maybe I should pull an FSUSteve and just sell the 60 and buy a boat... (wait, I'd need water for that...hmmmm...)

swank60 said:
You aren't selling your beloved 80 are you? ("Oh 80 series, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways…" --Gumby reflecting on the 80 series TLC) :D

No, no. I just got back from driving Patride71's 60 series to Austin. It was a good trip. I'd do it again. Especially in an 80. i am way more sold on the superiority of the 80 series after driving a 60 for 1100 miles.

Couldn't you feel a disturbance in the force? I doubled the number of progressives in Texas for about 18 hours. :)

I'm pretty sure I doubled the mean amount of teeth when I drove through Arkasas. ;)

Gumby said:
No, no. I just got back from driving Patride71's 60 series to Austin. It was a good trip. I'd do it again. Especially in an 80. i am way more sold on the superiority of the 80 series after driving a 60 for 1100 miles.

Couldn't you feel a disturbance in the force? I doubled the number of progressives in Texas for about 18 hours. :)

I'm pretty sure I doubled the mean amount of teeth when I drove through Arkasas. ;)

hmmm.... a bit of sensitivity training needed, Mr. Progressive? :D

Balanced it for ya.

Gumby said:

I was in Austin the last two weeks....so, I balanced any progressiveness you brought to the area. Wish I knew you guys were there though, I could have shown you the town.

Swank, I'll keep my eyes peeled down this way.

ahh dork dont get rid of the 60 just get the 80 to go with it....

....and yep one of the 60's guys caught ya :flipoff2:

Hmmm...I like Gumby's LC transport idea.

If you find one in NorCal that you like, I'll drive it to TX for you...you cover gas and a Southwest Airlines flight to SMF airport. I could use a nice 2 day drive through the Southwest again :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom