Considering some DD tires (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm looking for a set of AT's as well, but I want 35x12.5's. On the trail I run 37" MT/R's and on the street I run 35" XTerrains. I HATE the Xterrains with a passion. I could play it safe/smart and run 35x12.50 BFG AT's, but I've run them so much in the past that I want to try something different.

Right now I am looking at Goodyear Silent Armor AT's and Toyo Open Country AT's both in 35x12.50. Anybody have any experience with either of them???

I run 33x12.5 Firestone Destination ATs on my 60. I love them. I got them for a great price when the guy that ordered them flaked. I paid $500 for the 4, mounted and balanced. They retail at around $150 apeice, so I was stoked.

We just got 11" of snow Thurs. and I pulled 6 vehicles including a GMC box van off of the hill in front of my house.

I took it out of 4WD with 4" left on the ground and only spun on a steep hill on icy slush.

We have Kumho 825ATs on the wifes 4Runner and have been very pleased with them too. I would have put them on the 60 too, but they were unavailable in 33s.

Tirerack rates both of these tires higher than the BFGs.

Hodag

I got Bridgestone desert duellers on my 73 series and BFG A/T on the 75 and they are both great road and sand tyres.

If the revos are the same as the duelers pictured above, avoid them. They suck in the snow

I have had BFG ATs on 3 vehicles and I love them. Grip great in the snow and wear very well, perfect DD tire for all conditions. Just don't get into too much mud in them.

I can't comment on the Geolanders except that they look cool.

BTW, the revos are so far from aggressive looking! Who said that?

GEOLANDERS two thumbs up

Instead of buying another set of tires use the money to add sound deadening material if the noise of the tires is that bothersome. I doubt that swapping on a set of AT's will noticeably improve mileage.

On the 3FE'd FJ60 with a H42 I've run 32" radial swampers, 33" Bridgestone AT's (never again), 33" Wild Country mud tires, 33" BFG MT's, and currently 33x10.5 BFG AT's. No matter what the tire the mileage has been ca. 14-15 mpg.

I guess it is a lot of personal opinion, and opinions vary by what you do with them and the conditions in which you use them. You would probably be better off talking to people in your area. And yes the Dueler and the Dueler Revo are different tires, and I think they are both good tires. The Uni-T compound is designed for the rain, and the AQ2 compound used in the Revo is actually a different compound at the bottom of the tread, so that as the tire wears, the wet handling performance isn't sacrificed, and in my experience they are both good tires, both on and off road.

I used BridgeStone Duelers since I bought my toy mini in '85. Tried the BFG T/A and did not get a solid a feeling on the road. I didn't keep them long enough to try them off road.
BridgeStone Dueler AT 693 ( not Revo ) were on the FJ62 after the OEM DumbLop threw a tread. Have always been pleased w/ the Dueler AT 693. I get little opportunity off road, but have never gotten stuck when I did. A few yrs ago was out w/ a few friends. The rain made the hill out of the valley almost impossible (one truck had to be pulled the last few feet up the hill). I had no problems even w/ minimal tread left.

if the point is to save $$ on fuel, the height/width of the tire may make more difference than the tread. Go with a tall & skinny that has a mild tread pattern and you might notice a couple more miles/gallon and should get longer life out of the tire with less noise

tires

We were having some blasting done to level a home sight in the desert and the company had 3 trucks on our job and they all had Geolanders on them. I inquired about his choice of tire and he said a large amount of their travel was over very rough terrain and The G gave them far better service than any other tire they had used.

I wouldn't put anything on my restorations to sell but BFGs But only Geos on my rig.

Keep it in the Japanese family and get some Yokohama Geolander AT +IIs, can't really see the entire tread, but I like the pattern better than anything else.
14.jpg

Check out the Toyo Open Country A/Ts. Nice smooth quiet ride, and great traction for light offroad. The tires were also rated for 40,000 miles.

Keep it in the Japanese family and get some Yokohama Geolander AT +IIs, can't really see the entire tread, but I like the pattern better than anything else.

Bridgestone is a Japanese company.

Instead of buying another set of tires use the money to add sound deadening material if the noise of the tires is that bothersome. I doubt that swapping on a set of AT's will noticeably improve mileage.

On the 3FE'd FJ60 with a H42 I've run 32" radial swampers, 33" Bridgestone AT's (never again), 33" Wild Country mud tires, 33" BFG MT's, and currently 33x10.5 BFG AT's. No matter what the tire the mileage has been ca. 14-15 mpg.

My biggest factor is road/highway comfort and noise level. I've gone as far as I can go with sound deadening (I Dynamat'd the hell out of it last summer), and it helped considerably, but I'd like to have less noise when on the road, and be able to preserve the M/Ts for when I want to take a day and hit the trails or logging roads.

You can buy a lifetime supply of ear plugs for the price of a new set of tires :)

FAWK ear plugs. I have to wear them too often as it is. Plus, again, I would like to preserve my M/Ts for strictly off road use.

the geolander MT's are too soft for lots of highway km's, the AT's are good, My Ford had a set of Yokohama 911's that got just under 100,000 kms before i put the MT's on it.

The michelin LTX's last pretty good but id buy the geolander AT or Toyo AT.

If the reason your doing this is for mileage, you could throw synthetic in the diffs, T-case and trans, as well as a bit of engine maintenance you might get a bit better MPG, if you dont already keep up on it. Or go to propane. Hell just go SOA throw on some Boggers and put a diesel in it!;)

A/T daily driver tires nixed in favor of buying an old Mopar for my DD :grinpimp:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom