Considering some DD tires (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spook50

Skål
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Since my mileage is so crummy with the M/Ts (and now that they're broken in they're starting to sing more on the highway), I'd like to get an extra set of wheels (can get a set of aluminum wheels for cheap from a buddy of mine) with A/Ts on 'em and just store the M/Ts on the stock wheels and bolt 'em on when I feel like taking a day to go wheeling.

So anyhoo, for the A/Ts I'm lookin at a set of Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos. Anyone have any experience with 'em, or other recommendations for an A/T? These are rated pretty highly on Tirerack.

i have them on my 60. great all around tire and the still look somewhat beefy. if you want a more off road look go for the bfg. but the bridgestones are great for highway driving and offroad:cheers:
IMG_0403.jpg

X3 BFG ATs

had some duellers, then some dunlops (both A/T) didn't like either one... bought my BFGs and I'll never ever go back. ever.

duellers felt like hell in rain- I just didn't feel safe. dunlops were nice on the freeway, and the rain too- but I had four flats in 15-16 months (lots of Baja roads). the BFGs have been to Baja twice now and NO FLATS!!! they're great on roads and snow as well...

Geolanders are rated pretty high, too. Pirelli even has a couple models.

TireRack is your best source of info (besides MUD).

had BFG's on my 4runner then the 62, hated them. Put dueler revos on the 4runner and loved them, Great tread wear, great ride, great traction.
But very pleased.
Put yokohoma geolanders on the 62, great traction, great ride, great price, not as great tread wear. But overall very pleased. I think they have better traction than the revos

Then put dueler revos on the 80 when I bought it. Love them.

The BFGs I found loud, didn't wear well and really didn't find the traction all that great. I deal with snow probably more than anything else so take that into consideration. Did throw a couple of belts on some of the BFGs so really not pleased.

I would vote geolanders if price is an issue, or revos if price is not an issue

Good luck
John

X27 on BFG ATRs. My favorite tire of choice. I'm aired down to about 12 or so here.

Had them on my 93 Xtra Cab too for years.

Wish I had ATRs on the 100 though...

Last edited:
I had duelers on for a while, good street tire, on dirt roads they would hold rocks in the treads and sling them out to bang around in the wheel wells, then click click down the pavement till they all came out. Wore good, very solid feeling on the highway. BFG ATs are gonna be my next tire..(running BFG mts now, mine too have gotten very noisey as they wear)

tires

BFG AT are dope.

my 86 fj60 bought new came with factory tires that were bridgestone duelers :were lousy offroad, didn't last that long either. unless it has been improved since 1986, i would go with bf a/t which i found handles "better" . my second set and current third set of tires are bf a/t with 130,000 + miles today. 1st set bf a/t at 40-50,000 miles. believe that 2nd set bf a/t i bought were improved,eg. reinforced side walls. just my two cents. :) bottom line for dd(eg. hwy/street)it's not too noisy for a/t tire vs. m/t tires and i'm happy with them.

tires

how about Michelin LTX A/T I am looking to buy a set of these ....................

Yokohama Geolandar A/T is a great tire and it wears very well. This tire is very good in all weather and on all road conditions, on or off.

Revo's wear poorly and are not good in rain or on ice. In fact they can be downright dangerous. They tend to get chopped due to a faulty tread compound. Many places no longer carry these tires for this reason.

BFG tires are lots of hype. Never liked them.

I second (or third) the Yoko Geolander. They wear like iron. Feel great in any condition I've experienced. and when new there's something like 3/4 of an inch of tread. They rock.

I also like the BFG AT's - I have 31" on stock.
But - what are the opinions - lettering in or out?
I went with the lettering inside for the all black tire with my freeborn red(orange) 87 FJ60

There is a difference in just duelers and the Revo's. The revo's are a great tire. If you are looking for a great hgwy tire that will do a little off-road then the Revo is great and in my opion will last much longer then the bfg's. I can get more than about 35k on bfg's while I have had numerous 60k efforts out of the revo's. If this is the tire you will use on and off road then I would get the BFG and sacrafice the mileage. Also I think the Revo's are more money. Sams has BFG's at unbeliveable prices

just put a set of 33x10.50 BFG ATs on this weekend - had them long ago on the D90 and really liked them for a DD tire

Winston - I too put them black-out on my freeborn red '88

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom