Considering saying goodbye to the 200 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I appreciate everyone’s thoughts. I owned a Ram previously, and a tesla model S, before the LC.

I don’t tow much at all, but I like the idea of the 2500 diesel for gas mileage, space in the cab for the family, and the size of the truck bed.

Not helpful to the OP, but my wife says we should be thinking about when to let our 200 go. Seriously, she is targeting when one of us can no longer step up to get into it. And we have step sliders, so I'm not real clear on her intent.

So, I have had a somewhat similar path to you.... I started with a 2015 Ram 1500, and while I really did enjoy driving the vehicle and all of the modern tech, it was pretty finnicky. I only made it about 8mo in the vehicle before deciding that I needed to get out of it before it started really costing me money to fix. I traded it in on a 2015 4Runner, which is now my wifes vehicle. Personally, I cant stand the 4Runner, but the ruggedness led me to my current 2009 Land Cruiser which I absolutely adore. I dont think I could ever get back to a Ram from my Land Cruiser.

For the record, we have been toying with the idea of dumping the 4Runner for a Tundra... Trade-in values on the 4Runner are absolutely wild right now. I went and test drove a couple Tundras, and they felt VERY similar to the Land Cruiser. So much so that if I were to let her drive my Land Cruiser, and I took on a Tundra, Id probably be okay with it. So for me, having had the Ram, the 4Runner, and the LC200.... the only thing Id even be able to tolerate would be a Tundra.

Vehicles are so subjective but I'll give you my similar story for what it's worth. I had a 200 and sold it for a 2500 Ram. The Cummins is legendary and has amazing power. The tech and 12" screen is cool if you're into that.

But reliability is a problem with any FCA vehicle. They cheaped out and put CP4 fuel pumps in the new 2500 diesels (google or take a look at the Cummins forums to read all about it). There are a lot of fuel pumps grenading on those trucks and I think there's a class action lawsuit because of it. Don't buy it for fuel mileage. It's a little better than the 200 but you won't get more than 16mpg or so on a good day and probably more like 13-14. Towing you'll get 8 or 9. Interior cabin space is about the same as you have in a 200. You do get a 6ft bed which is nice if you need it.

In the end, I missed the LC and came back to one. I've owned lots of vehicles and there's nothing like a 200

Vehicles are so subjective but I'll give you my similar story for what it's worth. I had a 200 and sold it for a 2500 Ram. The Cummins is legendary and has amazing power. The tech and 12" screen is cool if you're into that.

But reliability is a problem with any FCA vehicle. They cheaped out and put CP4 fuel pumps in the new 2500 diesels (google or take a look at the Cummins forums to read all about it). There are a lot of fuel pumps grenading on those trucks and I think there's a class action lawsuit because of it. Don't buy it for fuel mileage. It's a little better than the 200 but you won't get more than 16mpg or so on a good day and probably more like 13-14. Towing you'll get 8 or 9. Interior cabin space is about the same as you have in a 200. You do get a 6ft bed which is nice if you need it.

In the end, I missed the LC and came back to one. I've owned lots of vehicles and there's nothing like a 200

They went back to CP3 in the 21's, so problem solved. I get 19 in city and 13-14 towing my Airstream in ID, UT, CO at altitude, and about 16 in OR at sea level.

I like the idea of the Ram 2500 and they are really nice, comfortable, and good looking vehicles. If I were going to buy an American pick-up truck, that is what I would get. But there is no scenario where I would buy any American made truck. I have family on my wife's side that scoff at anything non-americas and refuse to buy anything but Rams when it comes to trucks, but they complain incessantly about how frequently they break and go through them like they were made of money.

Me as well as 3 of my friends with LCs have deposits.

Rivian is main reason I didn’t get a new 200 to replace my ‘13 LX here in the last year. The future is EV.

I may not do it for a couple of iterations, but I cannot wait until there is a hybrid or fully electric vehicle with the capability and reliability of the 200. I have a 2012 Highlander Hybrid that seems like it will easily go 500k miles in its lifetime. It runs and drives today exactly as it did when I bought it 9 years ago. No rattles, no creaking, no loss of power, no loss of efficiency. Its just a great example of how to engineer a vehicle. Give me a LC that does what my LX does with a hybrid powertrain and I am all in. I'd go pay cash for one tomorrow if it was available. If the Rivian can show reliability, I'd be all in on it.

Get what will make you happy. Its only money and you can't take it with you.
FYI never been a boomerang buyer. Keep most things till they die or start giving me more problems than I figure they are worth. Only owned 5 car/suv/trucks. 1st truck died, 1st car died, still have 2nd truck, 1st SUV was just getting old and found great deal on used LC and still have LC.

I may not do it for a couple of iterations, but I cannot wait until there is a hybrid or fully electric vehicle with the capability and reliability of the 200. I have a 2012 Highlander Hybrid that seems like it will easily go 500k miles in its lifetime. It runs and drives today exactly as it did when I bought it 9 years ago. No rattles, no creaking, no loss of power, no loss of efficiency. Its just a great example of how to engineer a vehicle. Give me a LC that does what my LX does with a hybrid powertrain and I am all in. I'd go pay cash for one tomorrow if it was available. If the Rivian can show reliability, I'd be all in on it.
We have had 2 Tesla’s, a 2014 S that we sold and got a 2018 3. Both are rock solid. I probably won’t get a gen 1 Rivian but the other guys probably will get one ASAP. They have 80’s and early 200’s. My ‘13 LX with 85k miles will go for a while.

I picked up my 2019 LC last August and while I like the truck I have been caught daydreaming about a ram 1500 or 2500. I had a 2013 Ram, traded for a 2020 TRD Pro 4Runner, and traded that for a 2019 LC. I just felt like the ram was more comfortable and certainly has more technology (yes, I know everyone here likes the reliability over the technology aspects). This has me toying with the idea of selling the LC and going back, but I was wondering if any of you were boomerang LC owners. did you ever sell a 200 and then come back to a 200 later?

Here is my hero, who is a boomerang LC owner.....

he was considering the TRX.

Not helpful to the OP, but my wife says we should be thinking about when to let our 200 go. Seriously, she is targeting when one of us can no longer step up to get into it. And we have step sliders, so I'm not real clear on her intent.
This is when you step over to an LX, we have a button for that! Brings it right down to your aged level.

Well with this national shortage there is good new and bad news:

Good news: your land cruiser is worth a lot more money

Bad news: you will pay msrp or over msrp for your Dodge Ram.

People in texas are paying up to 20k over for land cruisers now. I sold 3 in the last two months at MSRP but it's nuts here.

for perspective in Austin, people are paying 150k over asking price for real estate right now

Ive never seen anything like this before. Everything is NUTS right now!!!!!

are the dealers that are doing markups really getting the $20k? even if you have insane money, would seem worth it to spend $2k and have a LC shipped to your house from another dealer.

are the dealers that are doing markups really getting the $20k? even if you have insane money, would seem worth it to spend $2k and have a LC shipped to your house from another dealer.

For real. My wife wanted a hybrid Subaru. In Cali the waits were crazy because they qualified for an HOV sticker. I just called a dealer in New England who sold me one for a couple of thousand under MSRP to cover shipment costs and it arrived 3 weeks later while everybody waited for 4-5 months.

It boggles the mind why people wouldn't shop around anyways. I understand for a used car where there are a lot of unknowns, but you can go drive one locally and get the same vehicle from anywhere in the country. The Subaru showed up wrapped in plastic and had 1 mile on it.

For real. My wife wanted a hybrid Subaru. In Cali the waits were crazy because they qualified for an HOV sticker. I just called a dealer in New England who sold me one for a couple of thousand under MSRP to cover shipment costs and it arrived 3 weeks later while everybody waited for 4-5 months.

It boggles the mind why people wouldn't shop around anyways. I understand for a used car where there are a lot of unknowns, but you can go drive one locally and get the same vehicle from anywhere in the country. The Subaru showed up wrapped in plastic and had 1 mile on it.
Lots of dealers seem uncomfortable or unfamiliar with selling over the phone without physically being in the store. When I was searching for my HE, I had a bunch of dealers tell me I had to physically come into their dealership.

Agreed, buying a new car shop nation wide and buy from whoever has the best deal. We bought our 200 from a dealer in Chicago and shipping enclosed to Denver was less than $1,500.

to the OP: do you boo, it’s just a car and if you decide you don’t like it, sell it and buy something else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom