Considering new 2006 LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings,

I'm new here, and have been reading many of the posts regarding LC's, modifications and other interesting stuff.... and I've been sort of in a quagmire regarding purchasing a new 4x4, but now have come full circle. I haven't bought a new SUV for 14 years..... all I can say is things have sure changed over the years, especially prices. I always told myself I'd never pay over $30K for a vehicle.... but you don't get much unless the MSRP is $50K plus.

My questions:

1. I noticed the new 2006 LC comes standard with a "Tire Pressure Monitor System". I'm not real crazy about the stock 18" wheels, but like the earlier model stock 16's that came on LCs a few years ago----plus there's more of a tire selection in 16's.

Can the earlier stock 16" wheels adapt to the 2006 hub assembly and the new tire pressure monitoring system ? ...... how does this system work ?

2. I also noticed the 2006 has an option called: "Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS) with Adjustable Height Control (AHC) and automatic load leveling". I'm reluctant to buy a vehicle with this feature in case I want to install an OME 2" lift in the future, unless of course the AVS/AHC system is compatable with an aftermarket lift-----I fear the computer and sensor glitches to those experienced on Land Rovers.

Is this AVS/AHC system worth buying ? ..... or is it more a liability ?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Welcome!

you are talking about a truck that the majority of us have not seen.
1. Have no idea what this pressure thing is. Hope not a Hummer lookalike.
2. You may find some info on the Lexette side of things about the suspension.
This is indeed an area of potential trouble and considerable expense. OTOH it gives you a lift for free, doesn't it?

edit: OK "for free" was a poor choice of words....

It sounds like you're like me (I have a 19 yr old Toyota 4x4) and keep a vehicle for a long time, I'd go with as few electronic gizmos as possible...that means no DVD, no electronic steering wheel adjustment, no AHC (ideally, no power windows/seats, no ABS/VSC, no auto transmission/cruise control!). Those things are all nice, until they break down years later. You can add an aftermarket lift w/ the AHC if you get shock brackets (sold in Japan or have a machine shop custom make them) or recalibrate the sensors (you could always body lift, in which case, you avoid the above problems). Otherwise, it's easier to install a lift w/ no AHC.

Anyone know when the DVD nav units were first introduced in Toyotas? (I'm sure < 10 yrs) Are they still working?

I'm not sure how the '06 tire pressure system works but on most vehicles, there are sensors in each wheel. You would have to dismount the tire to get to them. You can use earlier style wheels without any problems except that the low pressure light might be lit all the time. It might be possible to remove the sensors and put them on 16" wheels.

There are enough 18" tires to choose from but if you want the earlier style, it would be no problem to sell yours or swap with somebody.

The AHC system is actually pretty nice. It adapts to the road and load. When you carry large loads or tow, it automatically levels out. I think you should try it first. If you don't like it, it is very easy to install an OME lift. All you have to do it plug the hydraulic lines and leave all the equipment on there in case you decide to go back.

Of course, if you are really concerned about all this... just go and find an '05 model. There are still plenty out there on the dealer lots.

well if you do get the stock 18"s i'd love to trade you my stock 16's for them. I have a 2001 Toyota land cruiser

1) AHC is standard on the Lexus. Nothing wrong with the system. Can be fooled into "high" position for "lift". Do a search as it has been covered by Slee (www.sleeoffroad.com)

2) Don't forget the 2006 comes equipped with the new VVTI engine and more power:D

3) Don't know how the pressure system works:confused:

Thanks for the info. I wish I could buy a LC with basic options, but they come fully loaded with all the gizmos around here. I'm not sure I can even buy one without ABS, I believe its standard equipment. I learned how to modulate the pedal way before ABS was on the planet. I'm not opposed to modern technology as long as it works and I can still feel the pedal.....

I read about the T-reg (money pit) .... I test drove a Lexus GX 470, nice V8 but can't warm up to the design, too small, too narrow or too cramped.... I can't figure out if its a SUV or what. I also drove my friends new LR3 HSE with the air-suspension and AHC. Although he hasen't had any significant quality issues yet, I wasn't impressed when he said he got it stuck in the sand at Pismo, especially with all those switches, dials and hieroglyphics..... a Toyota truck pulled him out BTW. Maybe he couldn't figure out the stuck-in-sand switch. Plus they kinda look like a refrigerator on large spoke wheels.... not far from what I'm currently driving.

The LC has a nice, classic, eye-pleasing design by today's standards. I'm pretty dead set on the '06 with 275 H.P. 330 lb Torque V8..... that's the primary reason for not considering a 2005. Plus the dealers around here won't move off the MSRP anyway. And the performance gain in the '06 is worth the additional $3K to me...... I would be hard pressed to get 40 H.P. and additional torque for $3K from the aftermarket without installing a blower.

As far as 18" tires.... I browsed several Web sites, e.g.: Bridgestone, Continental, Dunlop, Michelin..... and didn't find much in terms of multiple widths and sizes in 18". It looks like the LC will take a 32x11.5" tire without a lift..... any info on this subject will also be appreciated.

I'll browse the other forums to learn more about the AVS/AHC system.

Thanks!

BFG makes the ubiquitous All-Terrain TA in 285/65-18, which is basically a 33 x 11.5. This is currently what I'm planning on getting when the stockers wear out.

Here's some of the tires I've found. Some are very new though (read: backordered).

Toyo Open Country AT 285/60R18 31.48"
Nitto Terra Grappler AT *285/60 R18 31.38"
Toyo Open Country MT 33x12.50R18 33.0" --* manufacture states allowable width of 8.5"-11" though
Sumitomo HTR Sport A/T 285/60R18 31.4"
BFG AT/KO 285/65-18 33"

If you want to go up to a 35" size...

BFG MT 35/12.5-18 34.8"
Nitto Terra Grappler 325/65-18 34.88"
Toyo Open Country AT 325/65-18 34.93"
Toyo Open Country MT 35/12.5-18 35"
Mickey Thompson Baja Radaial ATZ 325/65R18 34.8"

IIRC, the tire monitoring system in some cars, including some Toyotas (don't know if all of them are the same) are actually part of the ABS system, the computer senses a difference in circumference of each tire as one wheel rotates a little further than the others, then sets off the warning light. If that is the kind of system on the 100 series then it won't matter what wheels/tires are on it, as long as the diameter of the wheels on all 4 corners are the same. The tire monitoring systems are going to be required on all vehicles with in a year or two, so best get used to it! :)

As far as the AHC/AVS, I think Slee had it on his LX that he took on a rigorous off road trip, and it held up and performed well, I think he modified it so he could have more control over the height. But undoubtedly when it is time to replace a component it will cost more to fix than a conventional set up.

The ABS and traction control actually work very well on the LC. I was pleasantly surprised.

I always opt not to get ABS on cheaper vehicles...

Thanks for collecting this info.....

But you can see my point relative to diameter. I haven't seen any 65 or 70 series tires for the 18" OEM wheel other than the typical BFG ATs in 33s----good tire but I was looking for more alternatives. It's a big leap from 31s to 33s with stock height without doing some trimming..... then it's a quantum leap to 34s or 35s without a major lift. I would be surprised if you can get 35s under a LC with only 2" of lift.... then you get into the cost of regearing to maintain performance. And anything higher than 2-3" and you run the risk of driveline problems. All very costly!

Of course, this is an assumption on my part as I am not familiar with LCs ....

hoser said:
Here's some of the tires I've found. Some are very new though (read: backordered).

Toyo Open Country AT 285/60R18 31.48"
Nitto Terra Grappler AT *285/60 R18 31.38"
Toyo Open Country MT 33x12.50R18 33.0" --* manufacture states allowable width of 8.5"-11" though
Sumitomo HTR Sport A/T 285/60R18 31.4"
BFG AT/KO 285/65-18 33"

If you want to go up to a 35" size...

BFG MT 35/12.5-18 34.8"
Nitto Terra Grappler 325/65-18 34.88"
Toyo Open Country AT 325/65-18 34.93"
Toyo Open Country MT 35/12.5-18 35"
Mickey Thompson Baja Radaial ATZ 325/65R18 34.8"

100's with stock suspension can run 33's w/o problems--that seems to be generally accepted. 100's with less than 3" of lift can run 35's.

But, yes, if you go 35's, you'll probably want to regear. The AHC 100's have about 2" of lift with just the push of a button. There's a blackbox that allows you to remain at the lifted height at any speed.

Do a search and read up on Sleeoffroad's LX470 and Shottts 100 since it seems like their suspension has been discussed in detail.

with running 35s you might want to regear but that may not critical for normal driving.

The 2" lift you'd need, though, may be a bit more of an issue. It's not difficult to crank up the TBs upfront but then you lose articulation, increase CV angles etc... Then you'd want to lower the diff maybe. Etc.

Altogether seems like an order magnitude more complications than the 33s which should fit fine as is. And should be also functionally fine for 95% of what a typical driver would want to do offroad anyway with a rig this pricey.

I just saw the 06 Land Cruiser today. It is at the local dealership. The only changes are the front and rear fascia, and then on the inside is the ride control, tire pressure control (I think) and a switch for the stability control gizmo. Also looks like radio controls for the rear.

The front headlights look pretty cool, the Toyota emblem looks like it increased in size, and the rear end doesn't look much different besides the LED brake lights.

Interestingly the sales man said that the 06 came in this week along with the 05 parked next to it. Personally, I would take the 05 if the price was right - which I forgot to check what the new 06 price is. I thought I might have read that the new 06 was only $490 more. I'm sure the dealership would have to take a hit to get the 05 off the lot.

my 2cents.

About 2 months ago, I called the fleet manager at Longo Toyota to see if they would make a deal on one, of the two, 2005 LCs they had on the lot ..... he said "no way" we don't discount LC's. They claim they are allocated to dealers and sell each and every one at MSRP.

Now they have sitting, four 2005s and three 2006s......... I guess sales aren't so good these days. I sure like the option to peek at their inventories on the internet.... nice way to shop. I bet they change their tune on those 2005s.

Here's some pics of the 2006 on Yahoo

Thanks, I agree 100%. I realize this isn't in the same class, but I'm still the proud original-owner of a 1991 Jeep Cherokee w/5.5" lift and live axles. I've put a lot of money into it over the years, its not a beater, but I don't want to use it for a daily driver.... too tall, it has 160K miles and its really not a good freeway cruiser anymore. I'm getting ready to retire it after all these years, but will continue to use it for local fishing trips......

Since I keep vehicles I enjoy a long time, I think the 2006 LC is the right choice... and can justify the cost since they have the best resale value of any 4x4 on the planet. Plus it helped when I came home and told my girlfriend I was buying a LR3 just like my friends. She's a designer and hates the LR3 look....... freaked, and told me to buy the LC. I guess a little reverse psychology goes a long way.

I think this will be the best time to buy before too many changes..... as I fear the worst based on the 4x4 trends I've seen over the past few years. Now I'm kinda glad I've been dragging my feet to buy something new.

I hope I'm still welcome around here.... I'm not your typical XJ owner.

ShottsUZJ100 said:
If you can afford an '06 100, go for it. It's the best overall vehicle on the planet. Deal with the details later as you learn the machine. Once you own you'll know what sacrifices/improvements you're willing to make.

1. Fitting 35s is cake.
2. Regaearing is extremely expensive, though is not needed IMO.

http://www.expeditionswest.com/vehicles/adventurepartners/john100.html

a990dna said:
I hope I'm still welcome around here.... I'm not your typical XJ owner.

Sell your XJ, buy an 80 Series, put half the money in it and wind up with twice the vehicle! :flipoff2:

Then buy the `06 for daily driving. BTW, `06 is supposed to have the VVTi engine, which adds about 40 hp and 12 more lb.-ft. of torque over the `05. Or wait for one of Christo's turbos for the 4.7 and blow away the VVTi truck... :cool:

a990dna said:
About 2 months ago, I called the fleet manager at Longo Toyota to see if they would make a deal on one, of the two, 2005 LCs they had on the lot ..... he said "no way" we don't discount LC's. They claim they are allocated to dealers and sell each and every one at MSRP.

Forget Longo, I've had bad service there and less than stellar repuation for selling cars.
The one bad Lexus service I had was from Longo.

Try some other dealers like John Elway or Symes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom