Considering importing from Nicaragua- open to advice or sharing a container (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What would be your list of weak points on SA 40s? I hate that NONE of them have stock wheels. The grill emblems apparently all grow legs too.
None of that is available anymore as your business model is like 10 years old

The good and original ones left, are long gone and/or tucked away.

Try to buy ones that dont have issues like these

Cracked/repaired frame (and decently well hidden, most wouldnt notice), collapsed and poorly repaired spring perches (i see this on all of them)

This was a 43 that had a frame-off and is for sale for $33k right now btw

It came to my shop on a trailer from another shop because they couldn’t get it running, or the F/R drum brakes working

1EB76D97-0EAB-4DD3-8DDC-34E0D1F425B3.jpeg

5D80545D-C4E0-44DE-9269-DF900861426C.jpeg

C8297FF2-164D-4847-A9C3-049A5254CDA9.jpeg

Last edited:
Try to buy ones that dont have issues like these

Cracked/repaired frame (and decently well hidden, most wouldnt notice), collapsed and poorly repaired spring perches (i see this on all of them)

This was a 43 that had a frame-off and is for sale for $33k right now btw

It came to my shop on a trailer from another shop because they couldn’t get it running, or the F/R drum brakes working

View attachment 2786836
those little cracks?...thats nothing to worry about....

those little cracks?...thats nothing to worry about....

My pictures are not very good. It’s difficult to show but both frame rails were split the whole way, welded back, and then the weld ground and bondo-d over to make it appear like it never happened, is see this on all the 43’s, including my own, behind the front springs hangers

My pictures are not very good. It’s difficult to show but both frame rails were split the whole way, welded back, and then the weld ground and bondo-d over to make it appear like it never happened, is see this on all the 43’s, including my own, behind the front springs hangers
forgive my sad attempt at sarcasm.....i can assure you im much better at it in person.

As the owner of a SA 1980 FJ40 originally from Equador I can provide my perspective. My truck came through diplomatic channels so there was no cost of importation for me. There are a few positives and many negatives to SA rigs and I’ll also clear up some mis-information in this thread.

Positives:
1) The cost of SA rigs is lower than in the US but it’s offset by cost of importation and the “creative engineering solutions” aka hack jobs you’ll most likely have to repair.

2) Most SA rigs have H41 transmissions which have lower first gear ratios and are a desirable feature for the off-roading crowd.

Negatives:

1) Most SA rigs are heater-delete models and you’ll need to acquire all the heater/blower motor components to make the truck suitable for NA.

2) This is the biggie: Prepare yourself to repair the most unbelievable problems you can imagine. Things like bent frames, bent axles, cracked bell housings, cracked transfer cases, bent spring hangers, chiseled spindle nuts, mis-matched differential gear ratios, modified accessory brackets, oil leaks due to complete lack of gaskets, galled axle splines, and on and on and on, are all the norm. If you enjoy getting kicked in the balls repeatedly fixing problems that nobody should have to fix, then a SA rig could be for you.

There are no Toyota dealerships in the jungles of South America. Using my own rig as evidence, the most commonly used tool for repair in SA is a stick welder followed closely by a hammer and chisel. Look for evidence of factory-incorrect repairs prior to purchase because you could spend years and tens of thousands of dollars making trucks like this “right” for the NA market. It is possible, but choose wisely. Underneath there’s no difference between SA and NA rigs. Which leads me to my next point:

There’s an incorrect perception that all SA rigs lack NA upgrades and that they're mostly all diesel, heater-delete, emissions delete, bench seats, no roll bar, no dash pad, no disc brakes, no power steering, etc. This is incorrect. While some may lack NA features, many, including my rig, have all the same upgrades as the NA models. My truck has a 2F with emissions, disc brakes, 3.70 gears, factory power steering, bucket seats, 4 speed H41, roll bar, and all the rest. The only difference is that it was a heater-delete which has recently been rectified.

Good luck on your endeavors.

Last edited:
As the owner of a SA 1980 FJ40 originally from Equador I can provide my perspective. My truck came through diplomatic channels so there was no cost of importation for me. There are a few positives and many negatives to SA rigs and I’ll also clear up some mis-information in this thread.

Positives:
1) The cost of SA rigs is lower than in the US but it’s offset by cost of importation and the “creatively engineered” problems you’ll most likely have to sort through.

2) Most SA rigs have H41 transmissions which have lower first gear ratios and are a desirable feature for the off-roading crowd.

Negatives:

1) Most SA rigs are heater-delete models and you’ll need to acquire all the heater/blower motor components to make the truck suitable for NA.

2) This is the biggie: Prepare yourself to repair the most unbelievable forms of creative engineering you can imagine. Things like bent frames, bent axles, cracked bell housings, cracked transfer cases, bent spring hangers, chiseled spindle nuts, mis-matched differential gear ratios, modified accessory brackets, oil leaks due to complete lack of gaskets, and on and on and on are all the norm. If you enjoy getting kicked in the balls repeatedly fixing problems that nobody should have to fix, then a SA rig could be for you.

There are no Toyota dealerships in the jungles of South America. Using my own rig as evidence, the most commonly used tool for repair in SA is a stick welder followed closely by a hammer and chisel. Look for evidence of factory-incorrect repairs prior to purchase because you could spend years and tens of thousands of dollars making trucks like this “right” for the NA market. It is possible, but choose wisely. Underneath there’s not much difference between SA and NA rigs. Which leads me to my next point:

There’s an incorrect perception that all SA rigs are diesel, heater delete, emissions delete, bench seats, no roll bar, no dash pad, no disc brakes, no power steering, etc. This is incorrect. My truck and many others have all the same upgrades as the NA models. My truck has a 2F with emissions, disc brakes, 3.70 gears, factory power steering, bucket seats, 4 speed H41, roll bar, and all the rest. The only difference is that it was a heater-delete which has recently been rectified.

Good luck on your endeavors.

This should be posted on all sites like ebay, BAT etc.. Buyer beware. I do know FJCO uses these rigs as a starting point, but, I have to believe for the price in the end certainly solves all the jungle issues they had.

This should be posted on all sites like ebay, BAT etc.. Buyer beware. I do know FJCO uses these rigs as a starting point, but, I have to believe for the price in the end certainly solves all the jungle issues they had.
FJCO is a outlier.
Have you seen pictures of their facility?

I think it sounds like fun, but the profit margin looks tight unless the trucks are really nice without needing repairs. Even at 30k per truck it doesn’t leave much room for repair prior sale. North of 30k I think you see fewer buyers and those that will spend that amount want clean trucks.

But, good luck

If I were starting down a path like this, I'd be shooting for selling $200k + rigs. Icon, and FJ Company have two year or better waiting lists. To the best of my knowledge, basically the only thing left original is the VIN.

I imported one from Costa Rica once. It was a 45 and it was much cheaper than (what seemed to be comparable condition) trucks here in the states - if you could find one for sale. So it seemed like a good idea.

I didn’t have connections down there but felt like I thoroughly vetted the seller who was an expat living there. When the truck arrived half of the stock components like dash knobs and door panels were no longer in the truck. Lights didn’t work, ignition didn’t work, glow plugs didn’t work. Etc etc etc.

I spent hours on that and thousands just trying to get it to what I thought I was buying in the first place. I lucked out and sold it and still made a few thousand. Never again for me. Lesson learned.

I have not seen pictures of their facility. Are you saying they are sketchy ? Nothing surprises me any more, anyway..

No, quite the opposite

That was what I originally thought. From what I hear they mainly use non USA trucks for their customers.
on account they are regularly available, and they reuse so little of it.

Their facility looks extremely nice and professional. i am fairly certain it is in Colombia.

I brought four Cruisers in from Nica. I didn’t make money on any of them. I lived there and selected the Cruisers myself.

You are going to have a hard time finding Cruisers that will meet US standards and what folks consider a “good” Cruiser. Cruisers also hold their value in Nica and trade hands for $5-15k+ depending on condition. The few I came across that had potential were snatched up fast local and these were not 40-series these were 70-series.

I lost money on them because they are not $2500 in Nica to buy, export/import is expensive from there and they all needed $5k+ in work to be suitable for sale in the USA. They also really like silicone in Nica.

Anything pre-1990 has survived one if not two civil wars. 🙁

Rust is real in Nica, so is heaps of bondo. Subpar work as well.

If you want to make a few bucks at it, go for 45’s and 75-series Troopies and pickups. Forget all the rest unless you stumble upon a very rare bird. You will be able to sell decent to good 45’s and 75’s. The occasional 80-series as well if it is an HDJ80 not an HZJ80. Good 80’s are probably easiest to find. 43’s are extremely rare in Nica, I saw one BJ43 in many months in the country. Good 45’s are plentiful but extremely hard to find in good condition since they are old and have been used for work for decades. 75-series Troopies and pickups are fairly plentiful too but also have been used as work trucks.

I know some true craftsman in Nica but what they have to work with is so much lower than what folks up here even understand. Examples; torque wrenches are not used. When I showed some Cruiser mechanics my bearings and seal driver kit they had no idea what it was. FSM used? Forget that!! Fabrication is all stick welding, you can’t even really get mig gas in Nica. Things like die grinders for body work? Forget it.

I know some wonderful people in Nica. Really solid friends who are my boots on the ground there. I got it all in place down there too, lawyer, shop to inspect and hold them, inland transport to port, ect ect.

Nica is the second poorest country in all of Latin America so that should give some insight as well. Doesn’t mean good Cruisers are cheap there.

If you got a few in the pipe, I would get them out ASAP. October/November/December is going to get real nasty in Nica. It is election time in November and their dictator does not want to give up power. In fact the political strife there is why I left and canned any plans to import more on top of it being a money losing venture. To export you got to deal with the government and I refuse to deal with a government that murders its citizens. 👎

Good luck, very few people who import Cruisers are honest and successful at it.

Cheers
MAN I love everything you said here! We are moving the project to Panama for the exact political reasons you mentioned. The family is getting out of dodge there. We want to be the documented, earnest, and passionate examples of who is doing the importation right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom