considering buying... any red flags? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

While the paint looks like a cheap macco respray; overall I don’t see any red flags. I would have expected to see bubbled paint or something weird underneath on the chassis. Neither exist, which surprise me.

I’d only be cautious because it looks like a budget build, and I’d expect multiple things to be covered up.

that’s not a v6. that’s the strait 6 these trucks came with. it’s pieces together though. an 82 should have barn doors. the dash leave something to be desired. and there was some rust in one picture along the bottom
of the tub outside the frame. worries me that there might be body patching covered by a paint job. it also doesn’t have a dash pad so makes me wonder what it’s history is? is it south american?

I wrote with some basic questions, and all I got back was :
Engine is new, trans is rebuilt
Arizona vehicle.
All works.

SA model. Nice looking but may be full of Bondo.

Not a $30k vehicle IMO.

I noticed the back doors as well. I noticed some scratches at the base of the shifter .

The other reasons above and the heater is aftermarket. The pictures leave out the heater area of the engine bay. And it had bumperette tits on the rear.

The second one looks better and is a NA model. I wouldn't buy it without a thorough inspection and magnet check for bondo. Especially from a dealer.

Its just my opinion, but there are almost no FJ40s out there worth that kind of money.

SA - ugh. How do you know?

The firewall tag says FJ40-LVKA, that is not a US model. Perhaps a Venezuela import.

The second one is in Washington, you are in Illinois. You need someone knowledgeable to check it out in person.
Don't want to be making buying decisions on 12 photos and a lousy video.

Lipstick on a pig!
Come on people, the ashtray bezel is upside down and the dash has some wrinkles where it shouldn't. Plus everything else noted. At $30k this has buyers remorse written all over it. This wasn't built by Cruiser folks.

Totally agree. Just learning through photos at the moment. It is a little $ but getting to know the market.
The firewall tag says FJ40-LVKA, that is not a US model. Perhaps a Venezuela import.

The second one is in Washington, you are in Illinois. You need someone knowledgeable to check it out in person.
Don't want to be making buying decisions on 12 photos and a lousy video.

yep read lots. there are a ton of threads on ih8mud with you’re exact same question. search them and you’ll learn a lot of what is good and what is bad. there’s no question that seeing it in person or having someone who can look for you (with landcruiser knowledge) will help make a good purchase

SA - ugh. How do you know?

The air cleaner, no heater, the bumper tits, the wrong rear doors are some of the visual cues.

There is no way that thing is worth anything close to $30K, Run Away!

It does have a V6 engine...
you can see where they welded the frame up to fix an old power steering setup. Also you can see how they patched the rear wheel well with some funky patch. They also did a quick and dirty black spray can paint job underneath the vehicle. You can see rust bubbles starting rear corner area. I wouldn’t touch it especially for that price, appears to be a South American cruiser. They usually okie rig everything and I mean everything then put a shiny paint job on to make it look decent and try to sell sight unseen on the internet.

I was wondering about the black paint underneath. Besides hiding things, could it actually help prevent more rust?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom