considering buying... any red flags? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The air cleaner, no heater, the bumper tits, the wrong rear doors are some of the visual cues.

There is no way that thing is worth anything close to $30K, Run Away!

The ambulance doors go back to 1972. Not sure when the barn doors and hatch ended, but think until the end of the 40 series. Just because the US was getting only ambulance doors at the time doesn't mean barn doors were wrong for all markets. Not saying this is a good cruiser just that the configuration probably correct for the market it's from.

We have a classified section here that can be trusted. For my $30K, this is what I would be buying:

SOLD - Central Coast, CA 1970 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 Original paint Matching#

Unless I'm mistaken no one monitors the classified for accuracy. If Mud was doing that think they could be held liable for anything sold here. Have seen people question thinks on something for sale but I would still say it's like anywhere else BUYER BEWARE.

$32K, makes me wonder if isn't time to sell my 70. Thought Covid 19 was effecting the value of these but maybe not.

The ambulance doors go back to 1972. Not sure when the barn doors and hatch ended, but think until the end of the 40 series. Just because the US was getting only ambulance doors at the time doesn't mean barn doors were wrong for all markets. Not saying this is a good cruiser just that the configuration probably correct for the market it's from.

Yeah, he was asking how to tell a South American market truck; in that context I meant the wrong doors for the U.S. market, but I could have written it more clearly.

Lipstick on a Pig.

With the clevis pin hitch she was likely worked hard and put away wet and the dash showing 70 km; I can hear the salesman now. . .

Screen Shot 2020-08-02 at 6.07.56 AM.png

Looks like a lot of red flags. The light on the right fender looks like it points at various angles in various pictures. Painted tires are a red flag. 1 hubcap for a $30k truck ? Just take them all off already. Paint underneath is an old car lot trick to hide rust and leaks. Look at the sale ads here. There is a red one local to me that needs some body work for 1/2 the price here in the ads.

You could buy a decent FJ-40 for $15K and throw another $15K at it and have a very nice vehicle.
or
You could buy the listed one for $30K and your pain begins.

I agree with most of the above...

The bottom line is I do not think this is a $30k FJ40. You could get one a lot nicer for that price.

Without seeing it in person it is hard to say, but this looks more like a $17k - $22k rig.

Be patient and you can get a real nice one if you have that much to spend.

MM

I agree with most of the above...

The bottom line is I do not think this is a $30k FJ40. You could get one a lot nicer for that price.

Without seeing it in person it is hard to say, but this looks more like a $17k - $22k rig.

Be patient and you can get a real nice one if you have that much to spend.

MM

I am in no hurry, and appreciate all the tips! I’m learning so much with all the responses.

What’s with the “double” bumper and tire sizes. Still learning...

Oh you know, Montana guys overcompensating for somethin' ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom