Considering buying a FJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you are planning on getting an 80 series, my advice is get the newest, cleanest one you can afford. Lockers are not that important unless you plan to do a lot of serious wheeling, and even then can be added later. I like the 1FZ engine a lot, I like my air bags a lot, I like the dash on the 95-97 80 series a lot more than the prior years. Plus, even if you buy a 1997 you are almost already buying a 20 year old vehicle. If I were looking to buy one now I would wait for a white 1996-97 one. They are all over 150K miles now, many over 210K. Just be patient and be ready to snap it up when you see it come up. In my area at least (SoCal), clean 80 series with lockers (what I bought) go very very fast.

OP, $5K isn't a great deal for an FJ80 with high miles. Don't worry about someone snatching it from you-show us what you find.
Love my 3FE in the FJ62, but wouldn't care to DD a lot of miles with it. Gas mileage is probably a bit lower than 1FZ, but they're both terrible: Maybe 12 MPG vs. 11 MPG-big deal! Other than the dipsomania, I think 3FE may be even more durable than the 22RE, of which I've owned two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom