Considering buying a '69 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got a friend that wants to sell the above mentioned vehicle (one owner) for $10,000. There is a chevy 305? with 39,000 mi.
There is a lot of rust but it appears surface - lot's of sanding would be involved. A lot of the parts have seen better days: mirrors, shift levers, bumper, steering wheel, just about everything removable. So many parts would have to be replaced.
Two questions: Is $10,000 a fair price? and ballpark figure for buying and replacing all the beat-up parts to get it back to a nice looking (NOT showroom) vehicle.??

Toyota exterior.jpg

Toyota interior.jpg

Toyota rear interior.jpg

Toyota steering wheel.jpg

Price is decent. Not sure Its a
Friend price though. Doesn’t look like much rust to me but you would have to take a closer look. Check floor pans and rear sill for starters. From what’s shown looks like surface rust. Yes you will need to put some work into it but cruisers with good bodies are commanding a premium. Most here qould
Rather tackle mechanicals than a rusted out body. Make sure all the parts are there. Most cruiser parts can be refurbed at least cosmetically.

looks like it had dual tanks. You need to get more pics.

That has to be a trophy steering wheel repair.

Friend price though. Doesn’t look like much rust to me but you would have to take a closer look. Check floor pans and rear sill for starters. From what’s shown looks like surface rust. Yes you will need to put some work into it but cruisers with good bodies are commanding a premium. Most here qould
Rather tackle mechanicals than a rusted out body. Make sure all the parts are there. Most cruiser parts can be refurbed at least cosmetically.

Yes, dual tanks. Steering wheel repair, I understand , was in the field with a lot of epoxy. Thanks, I'll check it out and come back with more info.

Last edited:
Considering what I paid for my 40 in somewhat better condition earlier this year, try to get it for 8-9K. 10k is not unreasonable though.
Make sure the engine is running well enough to avoid needing a lot of work, too. You'll be spending plenty on deferred maintenance.

Considering what I paid for my 40 in somewhat better condition earlier this year, try to get it for 8-9K. 10k is not unreasonable though.
Make sure the engine is running well enough to avoid needing a lot of work, too. You'll be spending plenty on deferred maintenance.
Sounds good, person is more of an acquaintance than a friend so I will try $8K. Engine is supposedly 39,000 so fingers crossed.

Dual spares too

Less than ten years ago I tried to help the original owner of this 70 FJ40. At that time it wasn't selling for $10,000. Had a thread here on the value and almost all put it in $9K-$10K. With one where saying over $10K. Worse thing about it is the original owner put in 75 2F in the mid seventies. Someone had pulled a 2F for a V8 install. The one this thread is about is in California not the northeast where would expect this rust. Shows where the market has gone if this is considered close to a fair price.

The carrot 025.jpg

IMG_2516.JPG

It has two spare tires. One appears to be the OE Dunlop bias. Hardcore, or, bad luck?

There is significant rust on the parking brake. If the transmission floor conversion was done while the top is off, you might have a rusty gear box or two, as water finds its way down the shift cane.

I dig it. I can't believe the amount of rust on the inside. I suspect a repaint. I think that the hard top side has a harsh shadow at the bottom. Bondo? Also, there are no footman loops for the factory soft top. It could be that the original rear swingouts were replaced with a tailgate (probably because they became transparent around the inner bottom corners, or that the quarter panel has been filled. There should be a data plate with VIN on the driver door jamb, and frame. I see a gauge, but it might just be perspective.

It comes with extra

Dual spares too

Yes, dual tanks and all these extras, the lady's husband passed away and she wants to dump it. I'm thinking most of the extra parts are original after her hubby "beefed" up the drive train after installing the more powerful engine. I've still not seen it in person. I'm dying to find out if the tranny has overdrive. My old FJ40 did not like going over 65 because of the 4:11 differential and 3 on the tree. It would scream in defiance.

DESCRIPTION

• FJ40 with soft top body = handy tailgate.

• Hardtop and floor shift added

• Chevy 305 V8 engine, installed mid 1990s, mileage on engine about 39,800

• Warn winch

• Tow bar & roll bar

• Two gas tanks – total capacity 40 gal

• Two mounts for spare tires.

• Rear axle from 1968 FJ 55 Land Cruiser station wagon = heavy duty brakes

• Unrestored: vehicle needs battery, very minor bondo, and eventually paint.

• One-owner.

EXTRA engine accessories:

• Alternator, carburetor, water pump

• Rebuildable equipment available - clutch and brake master cylinders, brake shoes, etc

EXTRA drive train accessories from 1968 FJ 55 Land

Cruiser station wagon

• Front and rear axle/differentials

• Trans, transfer and skid plate

• Leaf springs, etc

It has two spare tires. One appears to be the OE Dunlop bias. Hardcore, or, bad luck?

There is significant rust on the parking brake. If the transmission floor conversion was done while the top is off, you might have a rusty gear box or two, as water finds its way down the shift cane.

I dig it. I can't believe the amount of rust on the inside. I suspect a repaint. I think that the hard top side has a harsh shadow at the bottom. Bondo? Also, there are no footman loops for the factory soft top. It could be that the original rear swingouts were replaced with a tailgate (probably because they became transparent around the inner bottom corners, or that the quarter panel has been filled. There should be a data plate with VIN on the driver door jamb, and frame. I see a gauge, but it might just be perspective.
Thanks, I'll check

Less than ten years ago I tried to help the original owner of this 70 FJ40. At that time it wasn't selling for $10,000. Had a thread here on the value and almost all put it in $9K-$10K. With one where saying over $10K. Worse thing about it is the original owner put in 75 2F in the mid seventies. Someone had pulled a 2F for a V8 install. The one this thread is about is in California not the northeast where would expect this rust. Shows where the market has gone if this is considered close to a fair price.

View attachment 2484771
View attachment 2484774
Talk about markets dropping - I sold my 68 FJ for $1,000 in the 80's. No rust, engine and everything ran well. The only problem was the roof leaked and the steering was so loose it wandered all over the road and I couldn't figure out how to fix it. It looked just like this except it was the light blue color.

Talk about markets dropping - I sold my 68 FJ for $1,000 in the 80's. No rust, engine and everything ran well. The only problem was the roof leaked and the steering was so loose it wandered all over the road and I couldn't figure out how to fix it. It looked just like this except it was the light blue color.

Yes, I bought my 1969 in 1986~ for 1200.00 dollars. Times have changed.

I picked up a '69 a year ago for less and it's in better shape. I would say $7.5k tops...
Remember when you are offering whatever you decide to:
most of the moving parts will be worn to the point of needing rebuilding or replacement. Doubly so due to the V8 swap.
These mechanical parts all cost as much or more than their modern equivalents if in very good or new condition.

Then again, most of the people here reflect to different times. Sometimes you can find something you took for granted and then later , screwed up. Just remember baseball cards and coins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom