Considering another 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We have a 97 LX 450 with about 109k miles. I bought it in 99 with about 40k miles. My :princess: drives it now hauling kids and stuff around town. She likes it so much that I only get to drive it when I "work" on it ;) . Seriously, this truck has been wonderful to us. So now I have been thinking of buying another one, probably another 97 LX450 or a LC. However, reading several threads on this forum about the headgasket issue push me towards spending some more and buy a 100. I would rather spend less on the rig and fix it up. So here are my questions before I take the plunge:

1. Is the HG issue primarily limited to LC or is it a design fault thus span across LC and LX450?

2. Do I significantly reduce my chances of having a premature HG issue if I buy a truck around 75-90k miles (with known service records)?

3. Is the HG issue purely random or is dependent on where the vehicle is driven (climate conditions) and how it is driven (off road vs. city as example)?

4. Any ball park estimate on how much will it cost to fix the HG at a reputable mechanic? At a Toyota dealership? How many hours does the job take in a shop?

5. Is anyone here aware of any major issues with 99-01 100 series? (I will post this one later in the 100 section)

Thanks.

1. both
2. Nothing guaranteed
3. no data showing either
4. 2k or so
5. search 90k service in the 100 section

1. Both
2. Probably no difference
3. ??
4. I was told $1000-$1300 by a shop that does Toyotas (Not dealer)
The head gasket kit itself is about $200. Beer and food could buy help from other cruiser heads in your area who have done it.

5. ??

Agree. Ignore the head gasket issue. We discuss it ad nauseum but it's definitely not a concern. If you wanted to really do the best, then only buy one you can verify has had the coolant changed every few years. By far, this one variable is the biggest impact on head gasket life. An 80 full of fresh coolant all its life is nearly impossible to abuse.

DougM

HG way over blown....look at how many of us there are and how high milages some of these trucks have and the fact that most are over 10yrs old etc. Just like the media you hear alot of noise from the very small minority.

I have 2 80s.
As already stated, I'd say ignore the HG issue in making your decision.

The 100s are not much more expensive -- why not get that?
There are pros/cons for each model.

It's nice having 2 of the same vehicle:
The mainteance is the same for both;
I order 2x parts from CDan when I place an order, so I always have stuff for both.
I know what's considered "normal" behavior for both.
...I'm sure I'm leaving a bunch of stuff out...

Having said that, it would be nice to have a 100 too.

LC's are like crack. One hit and you want more!
The 100's are so nice I want one too... one day I'll be able to afford it!

honestly tho, if buying new, I would have a very hard time passing up a GX470. They are awesome as well.

Thanks for all the encouragement. I couldn't agree more

FirstToy said:
LC's are like crack. One hit and you want more!
The 100's are so nice I want one too...
The best way I think I will be able to drive an 80 is if I buy a 100 for my :princess: . Should work out the best for both of us. ;) . Anyone knows of a good 99-01 100 series truck with less than 65k miles? I guess I better get busy :)

Ebay prices are dropping like a rock on all large luxury sedans, lux SUVs and things with big horsepower....

DougM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom