Considering an FJ60 - Thoughts on this '82 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This 1982 FJ60 popped up locally and I made arrangements to check it out today. Overall, I'd consider it in very good shape, just thought I'd ask those of you here with much more experience for your thoughts. I'm a prior 100 series owner and have never looked at or owned a 60 series.

Details:
  • Mileage is 250k
  • Current PA inspection
  • Said to be bought from Arizona 21 years ago and has spent the rest of its life here in PA
  • Owner has put 20k miles on it over the last 21 years
  • Stored inside and not driven in winter
  • Motor is all original, carb was rebuilt many years ago, AC does not work, but new AC pump included
  • Newer radiator in recent years
  • Front axle rebuilt within last year
  • New OEM shocks sometime within last 10 years
  • New steering stabilizer installed in last few years
  • Aftermarket sunroof installed in '99
  • Seats reupholstered at some point

The body presents well. Passenger side doors appear to have shiny clear coat. The rest of the vehicle does not appear to have a clear coat, except an area around the driver side rear wheel arch where the rust is. It's shiny in that area as well, possibly pointing to a previous repair attempt. There are a few tiny bubbles around the top windshield frame. The frame and underside have some surface rust. No apparent scale or rot. See pictures in album.

The truck started right up. The seller/owner offered a test ride, but no test drive. We went on a 20 minute drive and I didn't notice anything concerning (as much as I could from the pass seat). It drove well, rode well and appeared to shift well. Clutch is original to the seller's knowledge and seemed grabby (enough). We did have a steep hill start and the clutch grabbed well. 4x4 hi and low work.

Asking price is $13k. I get the feeling the gentleman will take a little less, but not a lot less.

So...what are your thoughts? Does this appear to be a crap deal, fair deal or good deal? I plan on checking out another 60 series in the coming week. It's an '86 with 260k miles, OME lift and not nearly as original, but the frame appears cleaner and it's advertised as NO RUST. I'm also considering a local 100 series but need to find time to go check it out.

Thanks for reading this far (if you made it). I'd certainly appreciate any advice!

Pics below, full album with more detailed pics available here: 1982 Toyota Land Cruiser

IMG_20200729_172014.jpg
IMG_20200729_172023.jpg
IMG_20200729_165348.jpg
IMG_20200729_172031.jpg
IMG_20200729_172111.jpg

It has had a respray to cover up the rust but the rust repair underneath the paint was not done properly which is why it is poking through. Expect more to poke through requiring proper treatment. C channels look good so underside frame rust isn't too bad.

Price seems high considering the body rust that will need attention, rendering that nice paint job moot.

Windshield rust is always sketchy and for $13k, I’d pass. Especially if they won’t let you drive it. If it’s got the original suspension under it, you’ll want to replace it soon, so maybe hedge your bets on the one that’s got the OME.

It has had a respray to cover up the rust but the rust repair underneath the paint was not done properly which is why it is poking through. Expect more to poke through requiring proper treatment. C channels look good so underside frame rust isn't too bad.

Price seems high considering the body rust that will need attention, rendering that nice paint job moot.
Windshield rust is always sketchy and for $13k, I’d pass. Especially if they won’t let you drive it. If it’s got the original suspension under it, you’ll want to replace it soon, so maybe hedge your bets on the one that’s got the OME.
Appreciate the insight, guys. Good point on the suspension, I'd certainly have additional cost there.

To me, It looks about as rust free as you’re going to get, unless you ship one from across the country. I’m not convinced it’s had a respray either. Looks like both passenger side doors have been replaced with doors from a later year truck.

if there was rust repair, they did it right. Seams around the wheel wells are there and have not been patched.

I wouldn’t worry about the suspension either. Mine is an 84 and I drive it on 400 mile trips with the stock suspension.

That said, it’s not worth $13k, and it’s asinine someone would expect you to pay that without driving it. Otherwise, looks like a solid rig to me.

That paint looks too perfect to be original, especially from Arizona. Look how clean the yellow is inside the wheel arches. I don't think the rust on the body is terrible. It will just need to be fixed properly which is going to ruin the paint job in those areas.

I wouldn't pay the asking price but I am sure someone would. It looks nice enough to satisfy the overeager buyer but it looks to me like it needs a lot of mechanical refreshing with body work. There are little alarm bells ringing in my mind about the paint and bubbling as compared to the condition of the rest of the truck. Just feels like if the body were that clean the frame would be a lot cleaner looking. That roof repair is weird too and I see lots of little rust dots lurking which makes me think respray too.

I say get the 100 if you're not a 60 fanatic.
Don't fall in love at first sight with the 60s pant job appearance. Imagine what it used to look like before it got repainted. Most people repaint their cruisers when the original paint job looks like utter crap.
Non rusty frame is a big plus
But plan on a new clutch, brakes, head job at a minimum. Long term plan on an engine rebuild .
$13K isn't bad if engine runs great - but if engine is all original - it'll eventually need work.

Also be aware that most parts from Toyota for the 60 are no longer available but there's still lots of parts available for the 100 series (that's why I suggested it).

Along the lines of what @OSS is saying...the market on the FJ80 and FZJ80's is just starting to accelerate but there are some really nice looking stock trucks out there for less than half of a mediocre 60.

Looks like you will need an axle rebuild before to long. It has that tell tail sludge coming out. Also it had alot of road dust build up on the steering box. Looks like something was leaking on it for a long time and collecting grime. All in all it looks well cared for. But not being able to drive it would make me walk away. That just sends red flags up for me.
One other thing to look at is the rain gutters. If they have not been resealed you may have more rot and rust than just by the windshield.
Good luck and be patient.

All i can tell you is RUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNN!!! :rofl:
That pop up sunroof just made even less desirable, i'm sure it's free of rust right?

All i can tell you is RUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNN!!! :rofl:
That pop up sunroof just made even less desirable, i'm sure it's free of rust right?

I think the rust is free

For a 39 year old truck it seems pretty honest looking to me. For PA, the rust-free condition of the frame & rear c channels might be a State record.

I’m sure the west coast guys wouldn’t pay $13k for it, but I bet it sells for pretty close to that in the north east.

I wouldnt call that a rust free frame. Rot free maybe but not rust free. It scaling and shedding surface layers in places. Its at a point where it could be media blasted and painted/sealed and look nice and last a long time.

In that part of the country, that's obviously a pretty clean truck, but unless you do the rust repair, paint, and suspension yourself, you'll quickly be at 20K. For 9-10K, that would be a better deal. You might point out the repair costs and see what he'll do on the price.

I test 'rode' a '91 Blazer with a 4 speed manual (ex-gov't) vehicle, as the seller wouldn't let me drive it. It turned out to be as much of a steaming pile as most Blazers are, but I just couldn't buy a vehicle I could not drive, and sellers like this tend to be odd. He didn't want to sell it very badly.

I think $13k is a little high for what it is, but I'm more interested how/why you're looking at a 60 and a 100. Will this be a DD? It looks like this 60 is definitely lacking on PM and you can expect to spend lots of $$ or time on fixing things over the next few months. A 100 is a completely different animal (as you know you've owned one before). All that to say, what will be the purpose of this next cruiser you're buying?

Thanks for all the comments and insight guys. Fair points all around. This wouldn't be for DD duty. Just a fair weather family adventure/camping rig. I'm leaning towards the 100 series at this point. If nothing else, it's a platform I'm familiar with. I still need to schedule a time to go see it, but I doubt I'll find the time before next week. Hoping it's still there! Thanks again, guys!

Just an update. I checked out the 100 series and the other 60. The 100 was crusty underneath and the 60 was pretty clean, but it needed some work to get it running right. The guy with the 60 said, "Hey, I have an 80 series I might sell, too, if you'd be interested in that". Well, yes...yes, I am. Checked it out and it was everything I was looking for. 166k miles, zero rust on frame or body, ran well and up to date on maintenance, OME lift, newer tires, etc.

I absolutely love the way it drives and rides. Not a single creak, squeak, rattle or otherwise from the driveline or suspension. Just want to say thanks to all here for your input and advice.

IMG_10082020_092337_(3120_x_2080_pixel).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom