Considering an 80! I had a 100 - What was I missing? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok...if you go out of USA to buy a rig, get something better, over here plenty have 5 speed and are either diesel or turbo diesel models, a few 1FZ with the 5 speed attached to them, heck, you can get 105 or 100 with 5 speed on them...thing is...carburated?

The BAT 80 is for folks already seasoned in the cruiser world and know what they are signing up for, not a newcomer to 80s who is used to a Benz and 100. Sounds harsh but you'll thank me later.

Try before you buy, I really like my 80 and if you were close I'd let you take it for a spin.

If you are overlanding in America and want a Toyota get a 100 series. Or a 200 series. Or a 5th gen 4Runner. Or a Tacoma. Or a first gen Tundra.

if you want a cool rig with style points that is less refined, getting harder to find parts for, and really excel (compared to a 100) in more “hardcore” off-roading get an 80.

I had both. The 100 was waaaaaaay more comfortable to drive. I love my 80, but when I get where I’m going I’m usually glad to be out of the car. This said, my 80 is a trail rig and my 100 was for road driving and fire roads.

**edit** don’t buy the 80 on BAT. carburetors suck 😬and the automatic helps make up for the lack of gearing off-road.

(sorry but i will fight you if you say the 1FZ will last longer than any UZ engine)

You and me are goin' next time I'm in Georgia. Not that I have any evidence to the contrary (have owned both), but just on general principles.

I think he is going about it 100% wrong. if you want overlanding then go buy another 100 series. they ride better, have more power, sit better, parts are easier to find, last longer (sorry but i will fight you if you say the 1FZ will last longer than any UZ engine) and are just a better all around vehicle for a first world country.
I don't own a 100, but I have both a 2UZ-FE and a 1FZ-FE. IN MY OPINION, the 2UZ-FE is a better engine. I don't even have the VVT-i version but it makes a lot more power than the 1FZ, gets better fuel economy, and just feels a bit more durable. Not that the 1FZ-FE is bad, I just like the 2UZ more.

As previously mentioned, the 80 is a great off roader. Good overlander too, but IFS might be better for that, especially for highway driving. A front solid axle is never going to drive as nice on the highway.

If OP still wants an 80, I would suggest a 1995, 1996, or 1997 US spec model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom