Considering an 80! I had a 100 - What was I missing? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys!

I remember when I was shopping for my first LC that the 80 guys loved their solid axles over the 100 guys. I needed more highway power and road worthiness at the time and got a 2003 100 (5 speed automatic) as it was my daily but now I have space for a toy. I'm looking at the following 80 on BAT:

It would be an overland rig build eventually and the only upgrades I know I'd want are the BP51 suspension and more power. This is a manual transmission and carbureted. Questions:

Could I still add a turbo kit for more power or would I need a different engine?

What would be the ideal "Premium" build?

What rack?

What fender flares?

What else to do with suspension and lockers etc?

What to do with the power plant?

Thanks!

Best-
Don

1993_toyota_land_cruiser_fzj80_with_barn_doors_1593816456b8e8543b60a419a15919255969519fkjp-260...jpg

Wit's End has a turbo kit for the 95-97 that is well sorted if you want more power so if that is important to you I'd be looking at those years. Before installing that though I would get a rust free well preserved vehicle, refresh the top end, refresh the cooling system to make sure it can handle the extra power etc....it would be a bit of work and money and not likely as smooth a ride or as powerful as a 100 but I've never been in 100 or a turbo 80 so take it with some skepticism :).

What you get is a 20+ year old vehicle that has character, a great community of people here with a wealth of knowledge and a big hole in your pocketbook :).

You could type most, if not all, of those questions into the search box and get a head start. Those are very basic fundamental questions. Then maybe ask some more pertinent questions about your particular wants/needs.

I have the benefit of working on both an 80 and a 100. Have you driven an 80? if so was a built for off-road or stock? did you like the ride? You will have some part limitations that you don't have on newer LC. Also baseline is more extensive on older vehicles, might even be more expensive.

I have the benefit of working on both an 80 and a 100. Have you driven an 80? if so was a built for off-road or stock? did you like the ride? You will have some part limitations that you don't have on newer LC. Also baseline is more extensive on older vehicles, might even be more expensive.
I have not driven an 80. I like the look. We have a 2020 MB GLS with E Active Suspension and an off-road mode that did very well on the beach at 15psi. A/S 21” tires were its only limitation but it was trouble free.

Last edited:
Well I recommend an 80 to everyone. I think they are great, but I recommend you test drive one and see how you like it. It definitely feels a lot more manual and "sturdy". Just to make sure you like it.

Well I recommend an 80 to everyone. I think they are great, but I recommend you test drive one and see how you like it. It definitely feels a lot more manual and "sturdy". Just to make sure you like it.
I miss my Dads old Ramcharger. “Sturdy”. I liked that.

I've never driven a 100, but I know that when it comes to comfort and amenities, the 80 is sparse. That particular truck you're looking at is doubly so, and I wouldn't want to try to find parts for it. I'd look for a US spec 95-97, personally.

Why do you want a carbureted 80 series that is imported from South America when you can buy a fuel injected US spec 80 series that has lived an easy life?
Because it looks cool?

I've never driven a 100, but I know that when it comes to comfort and amenities, the 80 is sparse. That particular truck you're looking at is doubly so, and I wouldn't want to try to find parts for it. I'd look for a US spec 95-97, personally.
This is a cool rig, but it is not the one you want. Find a 95 - 97 model that already has fuel injection, fender flares, and the possibility of adding a turbo.
Why do you want a carbureted 80 series that is imported from South America when you can buy a fuel injected US spec 80 series that has lived an easy life?
Because it looks cool?
Did you guys all miss the '5 speed' part? Barn doors? I mean, I wouldn't want it for an offroader, but that's some serious cool factor. If it fell in my lap I'd keep it, bone stock. I wouldn't pay twelve grand for the privilege, though.

Last edited:
I think your post is looking for opinions, so here is mine... I'd skip it and get a NA spec 80 series. I love my auto trans though. For long trips, offroading, traffic, I'll take it over a manual. But that is personal preference. If you are a manual guy, then this may be one of the few you'll come across.

Did you guys all miss the '5 speed' part? Barn doors? I mean, I wouldn't want it for an offroader, but that's some serious cool factor. If it fell in my lap I'd keep it, bone stock. I wouldn't pay twelve grand for the privilege, though.

Can't deny the cool/unique factor, but he's looking for a rig to build. When I think overland I think reliability and, should something go wrong, the ability to fix it easily. Not to mention he's talking about going from a 100 to a rig with manual windows and vinyl flooring :rofl:

I think he is going about it 100% wrong. if you want overlanding then go buy another 100 series. they ride better, have more power, sit better, parts are easier to find, last longer (sorry but i will fight you if you say the 1FZ will last longer than any UZ engine) and are just a better all around vehicle for a first world country.

That is a cool 80, no doubt, but not a practical one to own. 5-speed would be awesome on the highway (I still miss my 5-speed 4runners *sometimes* )

Carbureted = no turbo or supercharger for you, some repair parts will need to come from overseas, diagnosis will require real mechanical ability (as opposed to a quick MUD search or watching a youtube video), if you do a lot of high-altitude travel it will suffer more than a regular 1fz-fe, which still suffers at altitude quite a bit.

Just buy a regular US market 80. A 95-97 if you'd like to add a turbo or supercharger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom