Considering a V8 swap...got questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It’s a lot to consider. Just trying to clearly define what I want this thing to do and attaching dollar signs to the different options.

I think the only definitive decision that’s been made so far is blue with tan interior:rofl:
yeah, i understand that as there's solid pro's for both camps, carb vs fuelie, old school sbc or ls.
the devil on my shoulder keeps whispering...454, 454, do it, you know you want to... i've got an affinity for old school rat motors. oh yeah remember the flys in the ointment, here's a couple of cockroaches, buick 455 or caddy 472/500 :flipoff2:
any one of those 3 can be gotten to almost sbc weight with rompin', stompin' rat hp/torque. yeah baby!!! good luck with which ever you decide to flog

@kirvesmies

I think I've settled on a good old carb'd 350 with a Ranger OD. I've been reading up and learning as much as I can over the last couple of days and think I'll attempt to purpose build a 350 for low end power. Looking at some proven combos, I could possibly get upwards of 300hp and 400 ft/lbs of torque. That's nearly twice what the 2F puts out...I'm sure it'll be a significant enough improvement for me.

The LS engines have their merits but if I want a more modern SUV like experience, I'll just go buy a modern SUV...or an FJ80 ;). I just feel like an FJ60 should be carbureted and have a manual transmission. Not disparaging the LS guys, but it's just not my thing in this instance.

I'll start gathering the parts as I figure out exactly which ones I want and sales/opportunities come up. I've got a lot of body and frame work to do first. I pulled the stock bumpers off this week to refurb and put on my 60 that currently runs. That now adds to the "to do" list. In no particular order:

1) body repair/paint prep and finish
2) C-channel repair and frame de-rusting
3) sound deaden the bejeezus out of the interior
4) fabricate bumpers
5) fabricate extra capacity fuel tank
6) interior - pretty much everything (I'm thinking leather)
7) un-fu#& the rat's nest of hack-job stereo/alarm wiring spliced into the stock harness
8) engine swap
9) new gasket kits on the trans and x-fer case

hey, whatever you do, DO NOT let your f.i.l. talk you into stupid lumpy cams, cavernous single plane intakes or double pumper, mechanical secondary carbs :flipoff2:

hey, whatever you do, DO NOT let your f.i.l. talk you into stupid lumpy cams, cavernous single plane intakes or double pumper, mechanical secondary carbs :flipoff2:

Haha...no, no, no...smooth idle, more torque, dual plane is the idea. He's just happy that he has a S.I.L that is interested in something similar to what he is. He recently told me that this hotrod he just finished a month ago was the last one. All the extra tools etc. will be heading my way before too long since I'm "the only one that would know what to do with them". He understands we have a similar interest with different perspectives...he'll defer to my goals or he'll get kicked off the job!

Anyone ever done a hood scoop on a 60?

Haha...no, no, no...smooth idle, more torque, dual plane is the idea. He's just happy that he has a S.I.L that is interested in something similar to what he is. He recently told me that this hotrod he just finished a month ago was the last one. All the extra tools etc. will be heading my way before too long since I'm "the only one that would know what to do with them". He understands we have a similar interest with different perspectives...he'll defer to my goals or he'll get kicked off the job!

Anyone ever done a hood scoop on a 60?
the only way i'd accept a hood scoop on a 60 would be if there was 6-71 blower lookin' for clearance atop 500 or more c.i. of whatever.
at least your f.i.l. is into mechanized mayhem, that's cool

Good luck with your 60! yesterday I set a goodwrench 350 with a rv (offroad/towing/whatever) cam, performer intake, eidelbrock 650, block huggers, mated to an Advance Adapters bellhousing to a stock 4sp and splitcase in my 83 fj60. Haven't even bolted it down yet. Kinda excited. I know everyone spouts about ls motors, I have one in a 73 fj40 with the 4l65e to 3sp transfercase and its fine, its my daily, but you know what else is better than a 2f(which I love) if you aren't in Africa? A good old sbc 350. Everybody's had a 350 in something, different personalities and different feel depending on how they're set up. No 454 or caddy 500! Do you live your life a quarter mile at a time, Toretto? If you answer yes, why in gods name do you have a Land Cruiser!? But.... If you want to switch to the ls later, you can bolt any ls up to any bellhousing that fits a 350 using a sachs 1050 flywheel and the same clutch and pressure plate, or you can throw an efi on the 350 if you dont like the carb. There is no right answer. Do what makes you smile. Plus a carb will work when the apocalypse comes...muuuaaaahahaha!!!

@kirvesmies

I think I've settled on a good old carb'd 350 with a Ranger OD. I've been reading up and learning as much as I can over the last couple of days and think I'll attempt to purpose build a 350 for low end power. Looking at some proven combos, I could possibly get upwards of 300hp and 400 ft/lbs of torque. That's nearly twice what the 2F puts out...I'm sure it'll be a significant enough improvement for me.

The LS engines have their merits but if I want a more modern SUV like experience, I'll just go buy a modern SUV...or an FJ80 ;). I just feel like an FJ60 should be carbureted and have a manual transmission. Not disparaging the LS guys, but it's just not my thing in this instance.

I'll start gathering the parts as I figure out exactly which ones I want and sales/opportunities come up. I've got a lot of body and frame work to do first. I pulled the stock bumpers off this week to refurb and put on my 60 that currently runs. That now adds to the "to do" list. In no particular order:

1) body repair/paint prep and finish
2) C-channel repair and frame de-rusting
3) sound deaden the bejeezus out of the interior
4) fabricate bumpers
5) fabricate extra capacity fuel tank
6) interior - pretty much everything (I'm thinking leather)
7) un-fu#& the rat's nest of hack-job stereo/alarm wiring spliced into the stock harness
8) engine swap
9) new gasket kits on the trans and x-fer case

Just a word of caution on the Ranger: fill it with oil before install and give it awhile to check for leaks. I had to pull mine out to reseal the front nosecone among other leaks.

Good luck with your 60! yesterday I set a goodwrench 350 with a rv (offroad/towing/whatever) cam, performer intake, eidelbrock 650, block huggers, mated to an Advance Adapters bellhousing to a stock 4sp and splitcase in my 83 fj60. Haven't even bolted it down yet. Kinda excited. I know everyone spouts about ls motors, I have one in a 73 fj40 with the 4l65e to 3sp transfercase and its fine, its my daily, but you know what else is better than a 2f(which I love) if you aren't in Africa? A good old sbc 350. Everybody's had a 350 in something, different personalities and different feel depending on how they're set up. No 454 or caddy 500! Do you live your life a quarter mile at a time, Toretto? If you answer yes, why in gods name do you have a Land Cruiser!? But.... If you want to switch to the ls later, you can bolt any ls up to any bellhousing that fits a 350 using a sachs 1050 flywheel and the same clutch and pressure plate, or you can throw an efi on the 350 if you dont like the carb. There is no right answer. Do what makes you smile. Plus a carb will work when the apocalypse comes...muuuaaaahahaha!!!
@mattcamp, think of the fat block as a clydesdale, not as a thoroughbred or what ever it is they race in an oval. our 60's weigh what, 4500lbs before we start with all the add ons? so why not use something that inherently has alot more torque right out of the box?
no, i've got nothing against small blocks, i've run them n probably will do again. n your above combo for the 350 is a solid set up that i could rock, even in a 60. as you said do what gives you a $h!t eatin' grin

Since we're talking ranger boxes and 5.7s... Has anyone managed to fit a L31 serpentine acc drive with mechanical fan with this setup, or is electric fan the only option? I have a complete serpentine accessory drive off a '98 5.7 Tahoe that I'd love to use if it will fit, 140A alt, A/C compressor, water pump and all. I'm waiting on AA to ship the ranger box (about a month out), so I have nothing at this point to mock up for measurements, and searching hasn't yielded any definitive answers. Anyone?

* while not the ranger, the mark's bellhousing adapter allows for the use of the front drive setup off a 5.7 vortec, clearance is tight but it does work with the matching GM fan clutch and GM radiator fan, requires custom fan shroud. At first glance I thought I was going to be limited to electric radiator fans, but the GM fan clutch with the large single stud, allows the radiator fan to screw down towards the engine...which gives critical clearance between the fan blades and the radiator core. The marks adapter positions the engine/drive line in the stock locations as far as mounts and spacing, so that extrapolates to have some idea on what things work, also gives some spacing between the firewall of the LC and the rear of the V-8.

At one time I thought I read that the ranger was suppose to allow the position of the engine / drive train in the stock location, if thats true then front drive accessories should work. All should work regardless except potentially the cooling fan.

my engine is a 5.7 vortec out of a 99 Yukon, front of engine is all stock GM stuff, to include cooling. Stock mechanical GM fan clutch and stock GM mechanical radiator fan. Transmission is Yota 5 speed manual which bolts in to stock mount / stock position.

You might want to clarify what transmission you are going to use. I don't think there are too many people running the ranger which may be a problem on getting good feedback.

@Elbert
Thanks for that info. I'm using the stock 4 spd. The Ranger also keeps the drivetrain in the stock location, and gives some firewall clearance for the V8. Dimensionally, I don't know how different the Marks and the ranger are. I know the ranger box is 7.5" , and mates to a GM bellhousing, Toy 4spd bolts directly to the back of the Ranger. Running the GM clutch and fan would be ideal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom