Considering a 60 with a gm tbi conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm considering taking a look at (& making an offer) on a 83 fj60 with a gm tbi conversion.

Is this a common modification? Is it usually pretty striaghtforward or problematic?

Thanks

GM conversion

Seems to be one of the more common ones. Biggest question I would have is what did they leave behind the motor? Original Toyota or some GM tranny?

If it all seems to work - starts, runs, gauges work, then you have a lot more power to weight ratio than the 2F, and parts are easy to source - once you know exactly what you need. :)

Poke around on the 60 board and you'll see a lot of threads on the swaps, should be able to ask some of the fellas who have made the jump. It's probably easier on the wallet to buy one that someone else has done......so long as it was done right.

Here's some threads to have a look through.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/search.php?searchid=11712230

$.02

Glenn in Tucson

Last edited:
Thanks Glen

It still has the original 2f (157k) with the tbi conversion done by the previous owner. Has original 4 speed, txfer case and 3.73 gears.

Sounds like everything works and it runs good...

Here's the ad in question:
http://eugene.craigslist.org/cto/3800894846.html

Seem like his price is in the right area?

Ahh. I made the same assumption that I think tucson_sailors did that you were talking about a 60 with a GM TBI engine swap, not just EFI.

This is a conversion I have considered doing to my 60. If it runs well, and looks like the install was done by someone who has at least half a clue what they are doing I would go for it.

I think it would be good setup....make sure you drive it around a good bit to make sure you are ok with the way it runs and you fully understand any and all modificaitons done.

Thanks guys. I'm going to take a look at it and hopefully make an offer.

Wish somebody knew this rig already since the previous owner is the one that did the mods.

Looks like it could have a mild lift, could be wrong...

2F-E?

Thanks guys. I'm going to take a look at it and hopefully make an offer.

Wish somebody knew this rig already since the previous owner is the one that did the mods.

Looks like it could have a mild lift, could be wrong...

Hadn't heard of the TBI only conversion, I did indeed think it was the Chevy block with TBI. Most common EFI mod I've seen on the boards is from the later model 62's 3FE, thus making the Frankenstein 2F-E. Some dudes love em.....I'm happy to keep my all manual 60 away from any more electronics boxes that could break on the trail. :)

Good luck, and be sure to ask lots of questions about how it was done.

Glenn in Tucson

one issue with something like this...you better know how to work on it yourself.....don't expect too many shops to take on a converted I6 setup with a mix and match of GM/Toyota components.

one issue with something like this...you better know how to work on it yourself.....don't expect too many shops to take on a converted I6 setup with a mix and match of GM/Toyota components.

The good thing is , it's a Chevy motor so no one is afraid to look at it. Anything that is tabbed specifically for the truck and the motor will be on you to understand and be able to talk a tech through it .
I just bought one here on the east coast and paid less than that guy is asking , mine is a bit more of a project though. I'm still buying parts to get it road worthy .

OP says its an I6 with TBI throttle body conversion ...not a TBI 5.7 engine. See POST #3

Find the ECU and follow the harness out from there. You will either be pleased that is was done carefully, or you will be horrified and shocked that it works at all. The TBI system is very reliable, certainly more desireable than the abomination of smog trash that the 2F came with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom