Considering a 2011 Taco (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been off the board for sometime now after selling my 05 GX470, but I know this is a good place to seek input. . .

I am looking hard at buying a 2011 DC 4x4 from a private seller. The truck appears (by photos) to be in excellent shape, has a clean 1-owner Carfax, and has less than 70K miles.

The problem is that because of the holidays - and the distance 2+ hours on a good day - my time to really inspect the truck may be limited.

Any issues that I should look closely for? I've had two Tacos previously (03 DC & 96 XC), and currently have a 12 4Runner. I'm confident in the quality of the product, but just want to know if there are issues with this particular model?

Did you run the vin for any recalls? I have a 2011 myself and I like it a lot. I honestly can't think of anything off the top of my head to look for. Other then they usual stuff you would look for in any pre owned vehicle. Check for recalls though, the rear leafs are pretty soft. Not sure if the 2011 were effected by the frame recall either.

My 2011 had two recalls and one TSB that I remember. One for the rear leafs which was a TSB that you had to complain about to get the service department to do anything about and the other was for the plastic amber day time running light lens that was melting. They replaced both headlamps with new ones. The frame recall was for people in states that salt their roads and because I try to keep mine clean I didn't suffer the problems that others had.

Ask if there are any additional warranties that came with the truck when new as mine came with a free lifetime engine warranty as a sales incentive since Toyota was still reeling from the whole floor mat covering the accelerator insanity.

As to points of interest to look at for price negotiations...

• Run the blower and listen for high pitched sounds coming from it, fan is passenger side below/behind glove box. Easy fix.
  • Check to see if center console lid latch is still operational. If slammed allot the latch mechanism will fail. There was a useless console organization net included, some will have it and others won't.
  • During test drive try to find a place where you can hold the speed at 40mph to feel for a strange vibration/grinding from the front driver side axle bearing where it fits into the differential clamshell. This can be replaced with an upgrade from ECGS or with most lockers.
  • Check the rear leafs. If factory they will most likely be flat or even showing a slight negative arch.
  • The factory tool kit and bottle jack will be under the rear seat bases. While looking for them also check behind the rear seat backs for the black plastic tubs as many owners remove them.
  • 2011 year models should have the monitor for the back up camera built into the rear view mirror.
  • If it has factory towing package check to see if the wiring plug is smashed. Due to it hanging below the rear bumper it's a common thing to see them beat up.
  • 2011's came with four of the adjustable tie down points - a pair for each side - in the bed, and some dealers threw in a pair of small ones for the bed rail against the cab.
  • And lastly, 2011's came with two black head keys with fobs and one grey head key. The black head keys can be used to program new keys and the grey head cannot and is commonly referred to as the valet key.
Hopefully this is the perfect one for you and the deal works out and you love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom