Considering '05 LC, didnt sign yet, found this issue with A/C (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi there,
Considering 2005 Land Cruiser for wife DD. I plugged VIN into Toyota service history and came up with this:

IR COND-CHECK ~|~C/S STILL FEELS LIKE NOT BLOWING VERY COLD SINCE REPLACING
COMPRESSOR AND LINES ~|~CAN SEE LINES FOR REAR AC LEAKING GOING TO REAR
EVAPORATOR LEAKING - CAN SEE DYE ON THEM ~|~DECLINED ADDITIONAL REPAIRS AT THIS
TIME - WOULD NEED TO REPLACE THE LINES AND RETEST

Previous owner had compressor replaced and lines replaced, didn't resolve, looks like they wanted to replace lines for rear a/c. What is your reaction? Would you hold out for different car or is this inexpensive fix?

Thanks for any advice

If you don't care about rear AC (I never used mine) you can simply cap the lines. Inexpensive fix.

i think my wife/kids will care...i could deal but they wont

Will you be using 3rd row seats? Rear AC is set up more for that area.

Not unusual. Rear line corrodes through and is inaccessible to replace or weld. I had the rear AC welded close and only use the front. Even when the puppers ride in the back they seem cool enough.

From time-to-time. So it is mostly for that area?
Yes, the rear AC is directed at the 3rd row. If you need to replace the rear lines I believe it comes out to around $600 or so in parts.

I tested the vehicle. Wow--I see why these are amazing cars! Now, I am breaking my rule and considering a used car from a non name-brand dealership. They have high ratings on Yelp and other sites. The car fax shows the 1-owner took very good care of the car.

But....air conditioner blew warm air on max. Putting the VIN into my Toyota account, the service history is available. Before trading in, it looks like this A/C was a problem. Here is what Toyota did for previous customer. To summarize, Toyota replaced A/C compressor etc., didn't fix problem, second trip "lines" needed to be replaced, owner didn't want to deal with it, traded car in. Does this sound like an easy fix?

July 26, 2019: AIR COND-CHECK ~|~C/S STILL FEELS LIKE NOT BLOWING VERY COLD SINCE REPLACING
COMPRESSOR AND LINES ~|~CAN SEE LINES FOR REAR AC LEAKING GOING TO REAR
EVAPORATOR LEAKING - CAN SEE DYE ON THEM ~|~DECLINED ADDITIONAL REPAIRS AT THIS
TIME - WOULD NEED TO REPLACE THE LINES AND RETEST

July 13, 2019: REPLACE A/C COMPRESS ~|~ ~|~ ~|~A/C COMPRESSOR, R&R (ADD EVACUATE & RECHARGE)
05/07 W/ CLUTC

Here is the car: Check out this 2005 Toyota Land Cruiser on Dodah.com

Of course for a slightly different color, same year, 12k more miles on ODO, and not far away, there is a Lexus LX 470 sold by a Toyota Dealer that has no issues. But I worry about things like AHC needing to be attended to.

What is your opinion?

My bad!

Somewhat. The dealer has offered to replace two a/c lines. We will see how that goes. Out of curiosity...how does the frame look in terms of rust?
underside 1.png
underside 2.png
underside 3.png

dude, do not buy that pos. Even if it wasn't pretty rusty I'd pass because they sprayed paint all up over everything, hoses, clips, etc. probably bottom of crank pulley, oil filter housing.
front and middle stock skid splash plates missing also?
15k buys a whole lot of 100 goodness. This isn't it.

Last edited:
At some point it was definitely sprayed with something to conceal or protect the undercarriage from further rust. Also, you're missing your front skid plate and the splash guard that sits aft of the skid plate.

The rust coupled with the inop a/c would have me looking elsewhere.

Thanks so much! Probably just dodged a bullet. Wife loved how it drove but I see exactly the point of the corroded A/C lines plus disguised rust.

I am in NJ, it was NJ-owned, owner took care...but you know our reputation for snow/rock/salt treatments on the roads. That probably explains it.

Agreed with the other folks here, I'd pass on it. The attempt to coat the frame after rust had started is no good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom