Consensus on sc's... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Space limitations look like a pain to me w/ the stock fan.

Maybe top mount and a WRX style hood scoop.

ctsturbo sells some cheap cores.

Air to air is only beneficial when moving, when your crawling its effective as not having one

top mount air to air with a WRX hood scoop has been done. IMO having an intercooler sitting on top of a hot engine is never best. Even the WRX guys when they want to make power switch to a front mount air to air intercooler.

But I agree the packaging for an air to air is very difficult that is why I recommended and I personally use water to air, mounted in front with a fan.

Air to air is only beneficial when moving, when your crawling its effective as not having one

It should take at least a little while for it to heat soak.

water/meth injection + air/air IC is the only reasonable answer IMHO.

air to water can only cool your air to the temperature of the engine. air to air alone can get down to ambient temperature outside the engine compartment and with water injection can get below ambient.

No this is not correct....

You do know that you do NOT use your engine coolant in an air to water system right? It is its own self contained system that is not as hot as the engine that would be stupid.

An air to air only cools when you are moving and air is flowing over the intercooler. With a water to air system you have a heat exchanger with a fan, outside the engine bay and I see IAT's that are 25+ degrees cooler with my turbo when in traffic than I did when I was stock.

Last edited:
No this is not correct....

You do know that you do NOT use your engine coolant in an air to water system right? It is its own self contained system that is not as hot as the engine that would be stupid.

An air to air only cools when you are moving and air is flowing over the intercooler. With a water to air system you have a heat exchanger with a fan, outside the engine bay and I see IAT's that are 25+ degrees cooler with my turbo when in traffic than I did when I was stock.

Oh, ok.

Sounds expensive.

If you want to see examples of intercoolers on 80's, head to the diesel section. The vast majority are A/A...

No, check out Lilevo's build he did one for fairly cheap.

I know EMS wanted a volunteer for anyone with a TRD SC to loan them their truck and they would make a kit but and they would get it for free but no one came forward.

Well I did! I contacted them through the Forum but never heard back. Shucks!

Rob

I couldnt find a bolt on kit intercooler after looking for quite some time.

Before we picked up our new Casita (17' travel trailer, ~3,000 pounds fully loaded), we installed the TRD S/C. Our '96 80 had about 150,000 miles at the time. Planned trips to Colorado and Utah with a stock 4.5 wasn't too appealing to me, so I went with the S/C for more towing capability. Along with the S/C, I replaced the radiator with OEM, new hoses, juiced the fan clutch, new water pump (which it clearly didn't need!), new thermostat.

Now in our third year of towing with this set-up (probably over 20,000 miles) I am completely pleased. Gas mileage has been surprisingly good (OK, that's a relative statement), and the increase in power is a godsend. I have no idea what kind of HP gains might be realized from a turbo installation at "towing" RPMs (~2,100 plus or minus), but the S/C delivers in that RPM range to our satisfaction.

I'm sure that it would be great to have water/meth injection or a functioning intercooler, but right now, "it ain't broke" so I'm not inclined to "fix" it!

Rob

Given the overall need to do top end work, extra cooling measures etc., why not just convert to an LS motor and be done? More power and better MPG...

The OP may not have the equipment available to do the conversion, I'm just throwing the idea out as an option. The more I read about FI the more I'm leaning in the LS direction. Especially since I have a nice little '07 4.8 sitting on a stand right now in my shop.

The TRD setup is worth it to me. I installed mine at 153k, and other than verifying the absolute top notch condition of the cooling system I installed it in about two days and didn't do anything else to it. I've had no issues with anything in the 20k miles since. I added a top mount a/a inter cooler but haven't installed a scoop yet(life in the way). I love the added power and wouldn't go back.

Given the overall need to do top end work, extra cooling measures etc., why not just convert to an LS motor and be done? More power and better MPG...

The OP may not have the equipment available to do the conversion, I'm just throwing the idea out as an option. The more I read about FI the more I'm leaning in the LS direction. Especially since I have a nice little '07 4.8 sitting on a stand right now in my shop.

sounds great but in the real world it is a ton more work to do it right. Personally I have been down the conversion road and with the 80 I prefer to keep it original as possible. The TRD setups are made for the engine and installed by toyota dealerships, that is worth alot in my opinion. I know this topic has been beaten to death and others will disagree but.....

No top end work is required on the 4.5 to install a SC...?

The LS1 I certainly a sweet conversion but will cost you 2 to 3 times more to do this swap properly. If I had a nice 80 with a bad engine then I would consider it.

Also, there aren't too many people who know how to properly integrate a computer controlled GM engine into the 80's system so everything works as if from the factory. The parts list just to make this happen beyond the eng/trans/ecu is very extensive and add$ up fast. Unlike a 40 or a 60 series Gm transplant, the interfacing of systems on a newer rig like an 80 series requires a unique set of skills and knowledge.

Those who can and have done it can attest to that I am sure.

No top end work is required on the 4.5 to install a SC...?

The LS1 I certainly a sweet conversion but will cost you 2 to 3 times more to do this swap properly. If I had a nice 80 with a bad engine then I would consider it.

Also, there aren't too many people who know how to properly integrate a computer controlled GM engine into the 80's system so everything works as if from the factory. The parts list just to make this happen beyond the eng/trans/ecu is very extensive and add$ up fast. Unlike a 40 or a 60 series Gm transplant, the interfacing of systems on a newer rig like an 80 series requires a unique set of skills and knowledge.

Those who can and have done it can attest to that I am sure.

well put, not to mention the nightmare of smog laws to deal with here in CA......

If one were to go Vortec swap, make it worth it and go 6.0 or larger imo.

The Supercharged 4.5 for will make about the same horsepower and produce more overall torque than the 4.8 LY2 which has about 275 HP and 300 lb-ft torque.

Original specs for the 4.5 are 212hp/275torque. TRD claims 312/375 after the SC which I personally feel might be a little generous. Even if it was two-thirds that at 287/350 you'd want to go big with the six liter and get the mid 300's hp and upper 300's torque to feel a difference.

One day if I have the chance to get on a dyno, it would be interesting what the true results would show on the SC 80 and also be able to measure with meth on and off to see those numbers as well. Seat of the pants is one thing, measured results are another. I am seriously looking into this and will post up some #'s if I can do it at a reasonable fee.

Been very happy with my SC. Wifey, who has no sense of horsepower, noticed a big difference afterwards. I bought a used SC and had Slee install. His techs recommended a couple parts that i should replace during install and I still ended up saving a lot buying used.

Only thing else I will add is to recommend a new brass radiator not a new aluminum one. That will be the only consensus out of this thread.

Thanks all, don't want to do an ls swap, just seeing if everyone thinks the sc is worth it, ill add an ic later, sounds like people are running them without just fine, my truck maybe sees 5k a year, hg has been done already, so what's with the 3fe fan?

that's the one you want instead of the (explodable) ring fan that the S/C originally came with - part number is 16361-61020

oh, and as far as consensus ? our 2 supercharged 80s agree :hillbilly:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom