Connecting rod question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is this hole in the rod supposed to be open to oil the wrist pin? (1997 1FZ-FE)
087863F5-C6E8-43D1-849F-429EA51829F0.jpeg

I've never seen wrist pins compression oiled through the con rod. Not to say its never been done, but I've never seen it.
When wrist pins are force oiled its generally though the oil ring groove in the piston.

The bearing has a oil hole that lines up with the place in the rod. I'm on the fence about it because of that.

We have floating wrist pins. My engine guy said they were worth 5 hp for what that’s worth.
We need all the horses we can get for these things.

I have to tell my jeep buddies to slow down when we travel on the highway. "It's a land cruiser, not a land speeder!"

Usually I would make a joke about passing the Jeeps back when they broke down, but...

5ADC9467-D7FA-412C-803F-DE1C9FA21B76.jpeg

I have to tell my jeep buddies to slow down when we travel on the highway. "It's a land cruiser, not a land speeder!"

Well, that's just the reality of it.

Some speed limit signs represent more of a 'goal'....than a legal limit for us. I'm good with that.

Land Cruisers are built to shine OFF road, not on.

Last edited:
Damn. Nice garage/shop man. What's the proper term for those supports you have under the axle?
We still call them "jack stands" but Amazon has them listed as "Underhoist Support Stand".

I can now answer my own question. Yes, this hole is supposed to be open. No, it doesn't oil the wrist pin. If the rod it stranding straight up, the hole on the outside is at 2 o'clock.
I'm guessing it possibly oils the cylinder walls?

1753D884-9A26-49BE-83F0-43364E637429.jpeg

I can now answer my own question. Yes, this hole is supposed to be open. No, it doesn't oil the wrist pin. If the rod it stranding straight up, the hole on the outside is at 2 o'clock.
I'm guessing it possibly oils the cylinder walls?

View attachment 2823200

I was looking at this last night after reading your post. The hole definitely looks like it's there to allow oil to spray out.
It tapers down to a small orifice at the outer edge of the rod.

Those squirters are mounted to the block at the bottom of the cylinders.

This is separate to the oil squirter nozzles bolted to the oil gallery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom