Wanted Connecticut FJ43 BJ46 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 40 Series
Mileage
Color
Green
I'm a newbie so here goes, I've been reading the FJ43 threads about FJ 43's from South America. I used to own a 1978 FJ40 US spec LHD which was a bit too much of a project and too I found the bed too small. I would like to take the time to buy the "Right" LHD FJ43 or BJ46 would I prefer to pay for body quality and outsource only mechanical work. In terms of priorities, I like the look of a Green FJ: John Deere Green, mint green, forest green - in that order. If I have to I'm willing to re-paint a car that's an excellent body condition, but I'd prefer not to do it. I'd also prefer a hard top model (Live in CT = COLD winters). One of the factory OEM hard tops would be great OR one of the Columbian MPR fiberglass hard tops with the large 1 piece door would be fine. I never liked the ambulance doors due to the limited visibility. Budget is in the $18k-28K range. Willing to stretch for quality. I Have researched at least four currently on the market and could use some knowledgeable pre-purchase advice regarding mechanicals here or perhaps on the phone. I have inspected 2 of the below - both have issues but seem solid enough. here are some of the candidates so far:
Key questions that I need advice on regarding mechanicals are:
  • Do the post 79FJ43's from the South American market have the updated split transfer case and front disc brakes that the US spec FJ40's had? If not how important is that for drivability? Some of the above have factory PS-it is "good" enough? I like PS! I cant determine if they have OEM PB? or missing mechanical in engine bay- I am knowledgeable, but no mechanic on the finer points of the 2F engines.
  • How difficult is it to mount aftermarket Vintage Air heat and AC units given the mechanicals did not have the "right" taps or temps sensors, hoses etc. in the engine bay?
  • In CT it looks like we do not need to pass emissions for cars prior to 1995 so what I care about is getting a truck that has the correct carburetor headers etc. It is hard for me to tell how "correct" many of these engines / bays are from SA.
  • Importing a MPR top from SA is between $2- $4Kw shipping - Seems better to buy a truck here that has it already. If I want to retrofit a soft top I see several vendors that can do it new for around $2600 including the cage and fabric.
Very much appreciate some advice and comments on those who have owned FJ 43's and or have significant experience and insight into their mechanicals. I'm open to people pointing me to trucks I have not seen or they know of privately on this forum, but I am focused on finding a green paint truck. I assume everybody part can be fixed, I just would prefer not to spend the money or time fixing a "project". For example I'd rather buy a truck that's a little over priced in great condition, then buy a "bargain" and have to spend 10k to bring it up to a nice driver. This truck will be used on weekends and holidays to go driving and take the dogs for a walk. I don't want to show Car, but I don't wanna car that becomes a rust bucket in 2 years either because it had a cheap paintjob and then started to rust out. It should be a nice weekend driver that can be fixed a little bit over time here and there by a mechanic- I don't have the expertise or time (BTW recommendations for a mechanic in the NYC long island area would be welcome for Pre purchase inspection-(compression test etc) happy to pay for that). It's a lot to ask but I'm sure all of you know the sweet spot I am looking for. Appreciate everyone's comments and patience for a new member.

RP,

You asked for advice, so:

You are wise to want a good original body and frame--mechanicals can always be replaced or rehabbed.

You are wise to say you are willing to stretch for quality--that would be the French truck you've shown, but more photos and details are a must.

You would be wise to avoid any used vehicles from below the US southern border. So much has been written about the Central/South American Land Cruisers, and how down there they were/are viewed as mules and work horses, long before the rush to patch them up and ship them to the States. Caveat emptor--and for trucks from that region, know that you are being targeted.

@rprhj45

As on any market there are sound, good, and very nice FJ43's out there, learn the ins and outs and have patience.

:cheers:

"One of the factory OEM hard tops would be great OR one of the Columbian MPR fiberglass hard tops with the large 1 piece door would be fine."

I don't think there is such a thing as an OEM hardtop FJ43. I have seen one FJ43 since I have been in Saudi. I think they were only imported for military use here and none of them had heaters.

The one in France looks pretty nice but not 46k euros nice. You would be pushing $60k by the time you got it imported.

thanks for all the comments thus far- I will keep them in mind and continue the hunt

FJ43 will mostly be soft top and mostly LHD, the BJ46 will mostly be Hard Top and RHD.

Getting a good body will be a hard road to travel as most have rust and those that don't have usually just been well covered.

You can't very many A/C Kits for the BJ46 as it is RHD. You can get any 40 kit you want for the FJ43 if it is LHD

I have an FJ43 and a BJ46 if you have any specific questions.

Best models to get IMO, but I am bias

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom