confussion on oil (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hevy duty oils are for diesel engines only? was going t o try delo 15-40 from chevron but the galon jug said it was for deisel engines. help dont know what to look for.

It's also good for your engine. I'm presently running 15-40 in my FJ62.

don't run deisel oils in your engine.

Deisel oils have a different additive package. you want an oul with an SJ, SG, SL, or S whatever rating the S stands for spark ignition which is what a gasoline engine is. I deisel engine is Compression ignition and thus has a rating of CD, C something for compression ignition. Deisel engines are different than gasoline engines, they run far hotter combustion tempuratures. As soon as you change the engine oil in a deisel it is black, I changed the oil in my gasoline truck 1,000 miles ago it is still yellow.

The owners manual says to use a specific "S" grade oil, why would you want to use an oil for a deisel? they make heavy duty oils for gasoline engines ...

I hope that this post helps,
Dave

Nowadays, most oils have a C and S rating.
There's nothing wrong with running a "diesel" oil in a gas engine. Just make sure it's got an S rating as well.
Where I work, we run a fleet on 1 kind of oil. Cheapest bulk 15w-40 "diesel" oil we can get. And we have everything from 22R-E powered pickups, Stihl block saws, Honda generators, Miller welders (gas and diesel), Chevy pickups, Cummins, Powerstroke and Cat diesel trucks and Cat and Case tractors/backhoes. Thousands and thousands of hours/tens and tens of thousands of miles and roughly 2 years of this oil, and we haven't had a single oil-related failure (aside from someone running their unit out of oil) at all.
And this is the desert, where it is currently 89°F and expected to reach 109°F by this afternoon.

just asking cus the one i saw said diesel and whanted to make sure. will check the "rating",
gracias!

That's true. I work at a Mercedes dealership and we use the same oil 10w40 synthetic in both deisel and gas cars. I beleive that it is rated both c and s. I wouldn't have any problem running 15w40 in my truck as long as it was rated "S" as well as "C".

djanis99 said:
Deisel oils have a different additive package. you want an oul with an SJ, SG, SL, or S whatever rating the S stands for spark ignition which is what a gasoline engine is. I deisel engine is Compression ignition and thus has a rating of CD, C something for compression ignition. Deisel engines are different than gasoline engines, they run far hotter combustion tempuratures. As soon as you change the engine oil in a deisel it is black, I changed the oil in my gasoline truck 1,000 miles ago it is still yellow.

The owners manual says to use a specific "S" grade oil, why would you want to use an oil for a deisel? they make heavy duty oils for gasoline engines ...

I hope that this post helps,
Dave

This is completely wrong. Heavy Duty oils like Delo are "mixed fleet" oils. As such, they are rated for gas and diesel. They do have a higher level of additives, some of which are to help suspend the soot that a diesel produces. They have a higher detergent level and keep your engine clean. They also have a HIGHER level of anti wear additives. It is better motor oil. I read somewhere that the heavy duty oils give you close to the performance of synthetics, without the synthetic price. All the heavy duty oils I have ever seen also have a "spark" certification-ie SL, or now SM. Since the can be used with diesel motors, they also meet a "compression" standard, like CH or what ever is current. Delo is excellent stuff, and is dual rated. It's great in an older Land Cruiser, gas or diesel.

Last edited:
Chevron Delo is a "mixed fleet" oil with a CI-4, CH-4 and API SL rating. Fours generations removed from the SG recommended for the FJ60.

HDEO's (heavy duty engine oils) like Castrol Tection Extra, Shell Rotella, Chevron Delo, have better additive packages and imo, are superior in lubricating to PCEO's (passenger car engine oils). Comparing only base II stocks of course.

The reason for the current split between the two oils, I believe, is because although superior in lubrication, no conventional HDEO's carry the "enery conserving" label so sought after by car companies to maintain fuel economy claims.

Personally, I'd rather have better protection.

I use HDEO's predominantly, but I've always had a couple of academic questions.

If a gas engine burns oil, how would the use of an HDEO affect egr and emissions, as well as the catalytic convertor, as opposed to a PCEO?

Some newer Heavy Duty oils now boast that they're EGR safe. Meaning that some newer diesels employ EGR. What was wrong with older HDEO's that would preclude them from being used in diesel EGR motors.?

Looks like i echoed Cruiserdrew with some of my comments.
Better start writing faster... ;)

my 2F has been getting rotella 15-40 for atleast 10 yrs now, both from the PO and myself.
that motor is spotless on the inside, no sludge or biuld up anywhere.

jwest said:
If a gas engine burns oil, how would the use of an HDEO affect egr and emissions, as well as the catalytic convertor, as opposed to a PCEO?

Some newer Heavy Duty oils now boast that they're EGR safe. Meaning that some newer diesels employ EGR. What was wrong with older HDEO's that would preclude them from being used in diesel EGR motors.?

The sludge that results from oil being burnt in the combustion chamber probably causes EGR passages to clog up faster than if there were no oil being burnt. Not to mention the intake runners (look at the runners in a recent Chevy EFI motor, like the Vortec 4.8 or 5.7).
At least that's what makes the most sense to me.

i believe rotella t is considered to be better thank delo. delvac is pretty good too, but not sure if it's s rated. rimula sucks. i, personally, use valvoline and don't have to worry about it.

HJ -
Not to be too dumb, but why are we looking in the intake runners of our Vortecs?

Here is a link to the Mobile Delvac 1300 Super which also indicates that it is SL rated for gasoline motors. Just more info.....

Tinker said:
HJ -
Not to be too dumb, but why are we looking in the intake runners of our Vortecs?

I was being rhetorical. :D
The couple I've had apart at work look like someone was using roof tar to line the runners nearest the throttle body.

Maybe we should start a poll on ...

What oil do you use ?

Me ... Rotella 15w-40. Do what I do not what I say ...

:D

Cahil

Amsoil Heavy duty synthetic diesel oil.

Amsoil dual filter/bypass filter mount.

Amsoil 75/90 synthetic gear oil.

I've run Rotella and Delvac in everyting I have owned (except the Supra-- it got Royal Purple) for the last 10 years, diesel or gas.

Some of my mileages:

1991 Volvo: 380,000 miles (Still ran like new when traded off-- no leaks, no burning)

1991 Honda Accord: 280,000 miles-- ran like new when sold, but did develop a bit of a leak (I still see it around town, too)

2000 VW Jetta TDI: 110,000 miles. Still own it, still runs like new-- doesn't burn or leak a drop.

My current MB Diesel has 90,000 on it, and the PO used nothing but AMSOIL synthetic.

That's just a sample. My Dad's old car had close to 500,000 on it when a jackass 16 year old t-boned him one day. He used Rotella religiously.

I've now switched to Delvac 1 Synthetic, and every car gets it. I buy it in 5 gallon pails at the Farm and Fleet store for a good discount.

There is nothing wrong with diesel oil in a gasser. The higher viscosity may cause mileage to suffer a bit though. I'll suffer a hit on mileage to have an engine last longer.

Steve

The PO of my 60 used Mobil 1 synthetic. I forgot about that (bad memory) and started using Rotella-T 15W40... the truck didn't seem to mind at all. I recently "remembered" the PO's previous oil, so I switched to Valvoline Durablend 10W30. I am going to run the blend for a bit and then make the jump back to Mobil 1. No problems so far (leaks or otherwise).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom