Confusing Electrical s***e! (kinda long) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BGarcia88FJ62

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey Ya'll,
Drove the 88 FJ62 up to North Georgia the weekend of Jan.7th (house hunting)
No worries whatsoever. Hop in it on Wednesday the 11th turn key and Nada.
Thought it was the starter I had rebuilt adout six weeks ago acting up again give it a few taps and still Nada. So Saturday the 14th I start with things obvious to me. Pull the Alternator and have it checked, output is right on.
looked at my fusible links and the wires were in really poor condition (cracked and split insulation) order up some new OEM ones. Installed last night. Got in the truck gave a nod to the gods and she fired right up. Let her run for a while up to operating temperature. Reset my stereo memory and clock. All being well,
I cleaned up and called it a success. This morning hop in she fires right up but my clock is all wrong and my stereo settings ar are all gone as if the battery
had been diconnected?. Happend again today after sitting for a few hours.
I'll be scoping this out this weekend checking all my grounds and stuff but when it comes to electrical s***e my head starts spining. If anyone has experienced something like this or can point me in the right direction or has any input at all it will be greatly appreciated.
Thank to ya'll in advance.

Check your ground cable from battery down to the engine mount of passenger side. The cables coroded?

Don't forget to clean the battery terminals...And while your at it inspect them for cracks, etc. My 60 wouldn't start the other morning so I got out the battery termial cleaners and cleaned them up. While I was putting the positive terminal back on, it broke where tightening nut is. Luckily, I had a positive cable that I never got around to installing.

It's amazing the positive impact of having good cables from battery to starter, battery to alt, and to ground. Clean connections on all of these, and everything works better. Good news is that "fixing" all this is usually free.

lovetoski said:
It's amazing the positive impact of having good cables from battery to starter, battery to alt, and to ground. Clean connections on all of these, and everything works better. Good news is that "fixing" all this is usually free.

Agree to that

One dirty (High Resistance) joint and when you try and pull a lot of current across the connection it effectively drops the battery voltage to a big fat 0.

Then you loose all the radio settings etc.

was it fine before YOU rebuilt the starter? I usually find it is the things WE did that cause the problems

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom