Confused on EGR Delete? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My system is still all there but I eventually diagnosed an apparent bad VSV and resulting metal vacuum lines rusted shut. Installed a resistor into the connector and the light disappeared.

EGR delete would solve the problem of the EGR + PCV creating a nasty mess inside of the intake.

EGR delete would solve the problem of the EGR + PCV creating a nasty mess inside of the intake.

The EGR has nothing to do with the PCV. It is the blow by from high mileage engines with poor oil control that creates the mess inside the intake. The good news is that the engine doesn't care that the intake is messy.

My EGR delete will happen next weekend. Parts are just sitting and waiting for my time.

I want to start this project this weekend.

Do you guys plan on taking pics for this project? I've been wanting to do this for a while. Right now I'm lucky to get 9mpg city, so cat delete and new 02 sensors are happening as soon as I get a free day. Then I want to do the EGR delete. I've seen some good write-ups on the EGR delete, but my simple self really tends to appreciate pictures to help me get a good frame of reference for everything.

I replaced the O2 sensors and saw a huge jump from 6 mpg to 10+ mpg. I'm planning on doing the EGR and Smog delete this weekend. I will be taking lots of pics and will post a thread.

The EGR has nothing to do with the PCV. It is the blow by from high mileage engines with poor oil control that creates the mess inside the intake. The good news is that the engine doesn't care that the intake is messy.

I was under the impression that the PCV dumped oil into the intake and the hot EGR gas cooked/burned the oil into the nastiness that accumulates in the intake?

I was under the impression that the PCV dumped oil into the intake and the hot EGR gas cooked/burned the oil into the nastiness that accumulates in the intake?

On a normal engine with good oil control, there is little oil or smoke in the PCV gas. The EGR gas is cooled before it enters the intake. The EGR gas temp is an important parameter that is monitored by the ECU and if it is too high or too low it sets the check engine light.

Old school engines that lack an EGR or PCV accumulate black gunk in the intake manifold, so it isn't necessarily due to either the EGR or PCV. The main point is that it doesn't matter. It looks ugly but it doesn't significantly impair the intake flow. Oil leaks look ugly too and they don't make any difference on how the engine runs.

please post your link here and take lost of pics!

Will do. I'm keeping my O2 sensors and catalytic converter as the O2 sensors are brand new and the cat was clean as a whistle (because my O2 sensor was hanging out creating a huge exhaust leak hahaha).

If I forget to post it here check back to this thread Monday or Tuesday and remind me to link it up. It's pretty straight forward. I have to pick up the EGR gasket and four bolts (instead of the 1/4" NPT threads) on Friday. They are sitting at the dealer waiting for me. Some people use RTV instead of the EGR gasket but it made more sense to me to use the gasket since that is what it is made for. And I didn't like the idea of using the 1/4" NPT threads instead of the bolts that Mr. T designed for this application.

Got it done today. Overall it probably took me about 8 hrs. Did a little Saturday night. Some Sunday. Finished it today. The worst part was the damn VSV manifold. Those were a pain in the a$$!! You could bypass that step but to me, I wanted it done right and clean. It turned out great. My truck feels more responsive on the low end and just seems to run smoother. And so much more room under the hood. Holy crap!

Here's a before and after.

Before

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1432612128.998813.jpg

After

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1432612157.901317.jpg

And had to dress up the valve cover a little bit. ;)

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1432612186.520303.jpg

Let me know if you have any questions.

Got it done today. Overall it probably took me about 8 hrs. Did a little Saturday night. Some Sunday. Finished it today. The worst part was the damn VSV manifold. Those were a pain in the a$$!! You could bypass that step but to me, I wanted it done right and clean. It turned out great. My truck feels more responsive on the low end and just seems to run smoother. And so much more room under the hood. Holy crap!
Very nice! The valve cover looks suh-weet! Are you planning on putting any step by step instructions for the guys like me who need it more dummie-proofed? ;) Do you have any plans for that unused space now? Do you think that's enough surplus room for an aux battery? That's what I'm hoping to do with mine when I finally get around to doing this.

Yes, I will. I'll basically add some to Spock's write up. There were a few things that I wasn't real sure or clear about. I'll add those in. I'll also add a couple of additional part numbers and a couple of things that I ran in to to help.

There is definitely enough room for an additional battery. That is the main reason I did it. The holes and nutzerts are already there for a 93-97 battery tray. I believe they are about $80 new OEM. Probably can pick one up cheap used too.

Ideally I hope to be able to add a bigger alternator (hopefully 140 amps like out of a Tundra). I don't know that anyone has done it on a 91-92 with the 3FE. I know they do it on the 93-97 but I'm sure something can be done. Just don't know what yet. Also kicking around the idea of adding a York 210 air compressor in the spot where the air pump was. Both of these could easily be done still with the second battery tray.

I'll post a write up tonight about my process for EGR delete.

Do you adjust the timing to keep it from pinging like a mother without the EGR?

Do you adjust the timing to keep it from pinging like a mother without the EGR?

I have not yet. I haven't noticed any pinging. But was planning to advance timing anyway. Wanted to be able to compare the before and after.

Please elaborate why it would ping like a mother with the EGR removed (or non-functional)?

Any firsthand experience removing the EGR & noticing it pinged like a mother?

I haven't adjusted the timing at all. I have run one tank of 87 Octane (10% ethanol) through it and got 12.8 mpg. The three tanks I ran through it prior to the EGR & VSV delete I got 10.1 and 10.2. I didn't change my driving much, if at all. I'm not willing to say that my MPG improved by 20% after one tank but I have noticed a huge improvement in low end torque and it appears, at least so far, that my mileage is better. Both I consider bonuses on top of the loads of room under the hood.

I'd really like to know what resistor and where it goes to get rid of the CEL. I already missed one code that went unknown for months because I assumed it was the 401 that has plagued me for years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom