Confused about which grease to use on axle hub... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm replacing the front rotors on my 80. I've got everything disassembled and cleaned and I'm attempting to put things back together (driver's side). I'm following this FAQ here.

I've repacked my inner bearing and outer bearing races with Red sticky grease and I'm about to reinstall them back into the axle hub. Should I pack the hub assembly with that red sticky grease and use it everywhere?!

I'm not sure if I should use the black Molly fortified grease in this part of the install or not. Could some clarify if sticky red is all I need for the rest of this job?

What I do is the Cv and swivel hub are packed with Moly grease.
The bearings are packed with bearing grease. Be it red sticky stuff or similar.

Another issue: the FAQ instructions state: Install Outer bearing, Install Thrust Washer..... I believe that's part 43510D in the diagram below.

I never found a part like that during the disassembly and it wasn't part of Beno's kit (mostly because I didn't order it). I only have the Adjusting Nut (43521). Am I screwed?

front-20hub-jpg.56360

Last edited:
That is a washer, with a locator tab that sticks out to stop it from spinning when you tighten the first nut.
Are you sure it's not there? If it really isn't there, you need it. Have you done the other side yet?
Make sure it's there too.

Yes - I found the thrust washer on the passenger side, but the driver's side one was missing... :bang:

The one that's on the passenger side has a deep grove worn in it. Will need to buy 2 new ones I guess.

I don't think I've ever seen one of those thrust washers without a groove worn in it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom