Conflicted information (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just purchased new tires and rims and was soo happy, but then when they were being mounted I noticed that driver side knuckle seems to be leaking, not terribly, but very wet. The passenger side seemed dry. There is play(if you shake the tire) on driver side, passenger side has very little movement. Steering is fine and no noise turning. I was told that there should be no play when rocking the wheel back and forth, and by another there should be. I was also told that you want the knuckles to look a little wet, as long an it is not dripping or seeping through to the hub. I am sure the seal need to be replaced, but I cannot do this at this time. Because this is my daily driver, am I doing damage by continuing to drive it? Also should I just add more grease to the passenger side knuckle? Is the rocking (when car is lifted, physically shaking tire) on the driver side mean that the bearings need to be replaced? Am I overreacting? I have tried reading posts and have found no answers.

Hi All:

Yes, it sounds like there is "something up" with the driver's side knuckle. If one can grab the tire at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock (i.e. top and bottom) and move it there is a problem with the bearings inside.

The ends of the front axle have two sets of bearings:

A) the wheel bearings, that ride on the spindle which bolts to the hub housing. These are the bearings that support the wheels/tires.

B) the trunnion bearings, that fit into the top and bottom of the "bell" at the end of the axle tube. These are the bearings that allow the steering knuckle to pivot.

All of these front axle bearings will wear-out over time.

Good luck!

Alan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom