Confirmation on dashboard for stereo install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm in the process of doiing research for installing an Alpine HU I just bought.

I want confirm that the following instructions I copied from SOR is enough for me to get behind the dash to do the stereo install. (The following instuctions were taken from the installation instructions for the Center Diff Lock Switch):

# Removal of dashboard trim piece, 1993-94 models

1. Remove ashtray
2. Remove the two screws on either side of the ashtray sliders as well as the one about 2" inside the opening, on the top of the metal plate. Be careful not to drop it.
3. Remove the screw located under and to the left of the 3 switches along the bottom piece of the dash. (RHD Models)
4. Lower the steering column
5. Now place one hand at the ashtray opening and the other on the upright between the stereo and heater controls and pull gently.You should now have enough access in behind the dash to find the plug required.

Will this give me enough space to do the install of the HU?
Ron

The dash section has to be removed? Can I just crack it open and work on it while the dash is still there. or does it have to be removed from the vehicle? Any other screws to remove other what was listed on those instructions?

Pulling the whole piece off will give you much more room to work and see into where you are placing the radio. Makes it a little easier IMO.

When my Alpine was installed the factory plug couldn't give the unit enough power so a separate power cable had to be run from the battery.

Good luck.

apcoleman said:
When my Alpine was installed the factory plug couldn't give the unit enough power so a separate power cable had to be run from the battery.

Good luck.

Did anyone else have this problem? I've never heard of that. Tony, just curious, how did you wire everything else up? Did you use a special harness(circuit city, crutchfield) and cut and reconnect everything?

I had to unplug ALL of the switches and remove the panel to get enough room to install my Alpine.

Something like 16...I dunno...A LOT.

Cruisin'Carolina said:
I had to unplug ALL of the switches and remove the panel to get enough room to install my Alpine.

Something like 16...I dunno...A LOT.

I do believe the 95-97 dashes are alot easier for installing a CD player, it looks like one square panel that needs to be removed where as the 91-94 models it is one long piece that is a pain to take off and put back on, i've done it alot, after awhile you learn the trick and can pull it in a few minutes.

Brandon,

Anything in particular I need to know about removing the dash? I have a '94 as well. Any trick spots?

So the whole dash comes out for the install?

Ron

roncruiser said:
Brandon,

Anything in particular I need to know about removing the dash? I have a '94 as well. Any trick spots?

So the whole dash comes out for the install?

Ron
Ron, the whole dash does NOT come out to put a stereo in.
The piece that comes off is the black plastic portion. This piece is below the clock radio and runs around the stereo, heat/ac controls and it also runs over the steering wheel and around your power mirror and hopefully diff lock switch.
Take a look at it, its one big piece.

Start by removing the ash try.

Inside you will see two philips head screws, take those out.

The you should have one or two additonal screws where this black trim meets at the bottom, close to the cupholder.

After that, just pull and play with it. It may make a loud pop when it finally comes free but dont worry. You'll then fine a million conections to all the buttons.

Remove some of those so you can work with the cd player.

There should be 4 screws that hold the mouting brackets in place.

After that, its easy.

My high tech drawing for you....im bored.
dash.jpg

Ahhh.... that was a big boost in my understanding department. Thanks for the pic. Thet was very helpful.

Ron

If you're ever going to want the iPod adapter, do it now. It is pretty nice to have all that music along on a road trip. You need to plug the adapter cord into the back of the head unit. I tried to do it with the HU still installed, but no dice. I had to remove the HU to get the plug to line up.

Cruiserhead05 said:
Did anyone else have this problem? I've never heard of that. Tony, just curious, how did you wire everything else up? Did you use a special harness(circuit city, crutchfield) and cut and reconnect everything?

I got the Crutchfield Harness

Hmm, i got a circuit city one and its worked goo for about a year.

What problems were you having tony?
Curious, any difference in how the alpine performs? i would think with a direct connection it might do better....or is that a stupid assumption

Along with the Alpine CDA-9855, I am going to install the Ipod and Sirius satellite modules.

C6H12O6, where did you bolit the box for the Ipod?

You guys think of anything else I might want to do while I am in there?

There is also a thread about replacing the lights behind the dash and on the PRNDL, with some GREAT shots of taking the dash apart and what to expect behind.

Search dash/or dash lights

Cruiserhead05 said:
Hmm, i got a circuit city one and its worked goo for about a year.

What problems were you having tony?
Curious, any difference in how the alpine performs? i would think with a direct connection it might do better....or is that a stupid assumption

I have had absolutley no problems with the stock harness. I like my harness from Crutchfield because if I ever want to re-install my factory radio, I just un-plug all of my alpine stuff and the factory slides back in without messing with any of the wires again.

I also thought it made it easier to install because all of the hookup was done outside of the car with the head unit and harness instead of cutting and messing with that crap in the dash.

And with regard to the sound quality, it sounds a lot better than the stock radio to me.

:cheers:

roncruiser said:
where did you bolit the box for the Ipod?

Put it in the glove box. That way it is out of the way and hidden. People also think its cool when you open it up and have you iPod in there:D :D

Tony

I keep looking in Crutchfield for an adapter harness that would allow me to replace the stock stereo with an aftermarket stereo without cutting and splicing, but according to what I can find, Crutchifeld doesnt have such a thing. Am I missing something? How did you come up with yours? My cruiser is a 97.

taccruiser97 said:
I keep looking in Crutchfield for an adapter harness that would allow me to replace the stock stereo with an aftermarket stereo without cutting and splicing, but according to what I can find, Crutchifeld doesnt have such a thing. Am I missing something? How did you come up with yours? My cruiser is a 97.

If it isnt on their website, call them. I called and they had it and it was only around $6 IICR.

roncruiser said:
Along with the Alpine CDA-9855, I am going to install the Ipod and Sirius satellite modules.

C6H12O6, where did you bolit the box for the Ipod?

I put the iPod module under the center console. The wires are pretty long, so plenty of give there. I double side taped the module to the back underside of the console. The tape is pretty much to hold it in place while you put it in, since it rests almost, if not on the vent tubes for the rear heater. It might get a little hot there, but I never have people back there and I've never even turned the rear heater on.

I Dremeled a small hole in the bottom of the large lower compartment of the console and ran the iPod wire in there. I waited to add some sort of holder for the iPod until I was sure about where I wanted it, but I'm probably just going to mount the snap-on clip for my case on the front of the inside of the large compartment. Pretty slick set-up. I'll be interested to see how you run the Sirius box with the iPod. I know you have to daisy-chain them to run both and they say it works fine, so it should be pretty easy.

You'll find the interface pretty archaic (especially if you are used to the iPod), but it sounds a lot better than the FM modulators. I'm hoping they figure out the interface in future head units, because it is pretty cumbersome in the current units. It's downright unsafe to change songs/albums/artist while driving as it is now. The shuffle play feature is sweet, when you can figure out how in the hell it works. You have to select a single song first (no small feat), then select shuffle. Unfortunately, it automatically resets back to continuous play every time you turn the truck off, but very nice on road trips.

Let me know if you need pics. I could probably pull the console this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom