Confirm my thoughts ! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
??? Ok here it goes ! I've been on a mission to find out which will be a better trail rig/ DDriver between a 94+ cruiser and LR DISCO I or II. I've been doing homework on this for weeks and I'm leaning to the Yota I must say ! All the costs, service nightmares and such w/ANY LR , besides the fact that I haven't seen 1, 1 ! for sale w/150k on the clock ! It seems that all mods are cheaper for a Cruiser, they last longer and cost the same. I'm hoping to get a 94+ FJ80 w/ around 100k on the clock w/ locking Center Diff, automatic I assume. I also like the jump seats in the back vs. the DISCO. What are some pros and cons of this dilemma ? ALL input is taken into account for my purchase so I'm counting on you guys ! Thanks a ton !

You can read these:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=13452;start=msg124494#msg124494

https://forum.ih8mud.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=13113;start=msg123579#msg123579

https://forum.ih8mud.com/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=10107;start=msg90759#msg90759

Or, just believe this:

An 80 series Land Cruiser is superior to any Land Rover in almost every conceivable way: reliability, strength, capability. The only thing that a Cruiser may be lacking, and this is purely subjective, is style. And the only vehicle I'd possiibly concede that on is the 90 / 110, which looks cool as hell, but is still a Rover.

Ask yourself which you prefer 1) Driving you SUV, or 2) Working on your SUV. If the answer is 1) then get the Cruiser, if it is 2) get the Disco.

I own a 94, I work with co-workers who own 95 D90, 98 RR and 01 Disco II. I admitt cool vehicles, I really like the D90, I have been on the trail with him and its a fun ride. But all have problems, there have been 2 occasions they have even shared the loaner car into work! If you want the hassles of reliability go for it. If you do go with LR be sure to get extended warranty. Some dont care if they break down.

I agree with shocker, they have a unique styling which I think makes the 100 series LC look "vanilla". However the FZJ80s have a timeless look especially if you take all the crap off of it(running boards, rear wind deflectors,etc) just my .02

Chris

Get the LC you will never regret it, you have many resources to draw from if need be down the road.

Al

Had a 1993 RR LWB for 1.5 years and 20k miles. $6k + in repairs and maintenance. Have a 1994 Cruiser going on 4 years. Brakes and a starter over 75k miles.

Rovers suck. End of story. Search the archives for all the comparisons.

Cruisers just keep going. That said, if you spent 5 minutes with a rover then 5 minutes with a cruiser, you wouldn't have to ask for an opinion, because you'd know just by looking at them.

I agree with the other comments. Only comments are that 93 is same as 94 and you want the front and rear lockers option not a centeral diff locker on your 93 or later 80. The central diff locker is standard on all 80s from 1991-97 but after 92 model you need to buy an aftermarket OEM dash switch to make it switchable instead of automatic when 4-lo is engaged. It is the front and rear locker option you want which comes on about 10% of all 93 to 97 80's. Take a look at the newby discussion at www.sleeoffroad.com.

My brother has a '95 Disco (Series I), it's not a bad vehicle. He's had it for about 3 years, nothing has gone wrong, somewhere over 100K miles on it, overall I'd have to say not a bad vehicle. However, there are definetly differences about how well they are put together, squeaks, rattles, leaks (big one), and so on. He got his for a steal, came with the lift on it (4"), ARBs front and rear, sliders, winch, etc, very good deal, hell I would have bought it too. He has beaten the hell out of it offroad, slammed down so hard on things I swear it was going to crack in half, but never did (although the flashers do come on if you hit it REALLY hard, like a 3' drop onto a slider with no cushion). He has never broke any axles or anything, which is astouding according to most LR guys who swear they can break an axle in their driveway. The Series I's are tougher than most people give them credit for, but as for oil leaks, that is true.

What convinced him to buy it, and the only reason I'd not have a Cruiser is his is a 5sp, one of the few of the mid 90's.

As far as comparing them, the Cruiser is alot longer, inside door measure of door-panel to door-panel the FZJ80 and Disco I are exactly the same width, the Cruiser looks wider but it's not, only because the Rover has that sexy (NOT!) bulge in the middle. My brother has his tires spaced out 3" per side, still not as good of stance as my Cruiser has, oh and running 35's on a Disco is a PITA, much cutting involved!

I like the D90, as far as I'm concerned that is the last real 4wheel drive made, atleast one with a stick, granted the Jxxp Ruby-can-come is cool, but it's a jxxp, that's worse than LR!

Go with the Cruiser, infact, go with a Lexus, it makes your friends really pissed when they have to admit they just got schooled by a Lexus with factory lockers... :)

Later..
Mark Brodis

Thanks a lot guys ! That about ices the cake for me then ! WOW No way would I ever buy a LR now! It's all true ! JUNK Who wants to look at a broken vehicle in the driveway instead of wheelin'it ? All that talk about "for the love of the brand/vehicle" is BS ! And $1600 for a Fing roof rack ? I knew we got away from those pesky Brits for more than one reason ! Keep all the good insight coming folks, my decision is made now for sure. Now I just have to wait till my Hyundai dies ! So the Center diff Lock is standard for 91-97 and F & R lockers are actually out there as stock ?????????? ~!!! WOW I knew my dad always loved Toyotas for some reason !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep it comin' ;) ;) ;) And what are these YABBC tags in this board too !

Remember, you are the one driving.

Dude,

Remember, you are the one who will be driving the vehicle. If you are stuck in the middle to decide LR or LC, drive one instead of listening to the opinions (Which there is nothing wrong with our opinions) because, opinions vary from LR owners to LC owners. You should drive one and feel which one is the one you are looking for.
I have both 97 Disco I(Wife's) w/70k mi and 97 LC (Mine) w/120k mi. My wife had her Disco for 3years and she loves it, not has given much issues except MAS replacement.
Oil leak is eminant as you know it is British. But really is a good vehicle. If LR was not a good vehicle, it would not have lasted for more than 50years.
I got my LC since last Sept. Bought it w/106k One Owner. I have done, Wheel Bearing repack, all fluid change, tune up, and regular oil change.
Disco is very soft and quite rider compare to LC. In my opinion, they are both very well built vehicle. Also, longevity and maintenance also depends on how you drive, how you take care of your vehicle not the vehicle itself. Just my opinion.

The decision might made for you once you sit in a Disco I. The top of the windshield cuts of your field of view by a bunch. I've heard lots of people (over 5'10") having to crane their necks to look at the stop lights. Can't figure why LR thought that was a good idea.

[quote author=alia176 link=board=2;threadid=13896;start=msg129408#msg129408 date=1080662976]
The decision might made for you once you sit in a Disco I. The top of the windshield cuts of your field of view by a bunch. I've heard lots of people (over 5'10") having to crane their necks to look at the stop lights. Can't figure why LR thought that was a good idea.
[/quote]

Man, can't believe I forgot about that. I'm 6'5" and every stoplight was a biatch when I owned my '95 Disco.

ever driven a miata????
Worse road trip ever is all I will say.
oh and Im 6'3"
Dave

When I was looking at 80's I also researched the Disco, I found that the Disco (at least I series) had a horrible reliability record. No regrets with my 93 FZJ80.

do a search on disco here, and look up discoweb. hear they mention landcruisers quite a bit in a positive light there. Dont see that happening with the disco here ;), least not favorably so.

Dave,
I agree 100% about the Miata. Just moved to AZ right out of college and having my 1st decent paying job. I went in to a Mazda dealership to get a MX6 coupe and drove off in a Miata, young and niave. Thank God I leased it, fun car but bad on the back if your over 6'2". I looked like a circus clown...head peeking over the windshield!

Chris

I went out with a girl last summer that had a Miata. Damn thing was so small the steering wheel was firmly planted in my nutsack, and when I drove it, I drove it fast; giving it just a little pedal was hard when my chin was resting on my knee.

I spend a fair amount of time wheeling with LRs as I belong to a LR club ::). Based on my limited assessment to date, I feel you are far better off in a LC. In my market (as with most I believe) LRs depreciate like crazy (ie a 2000LR may be the same price or less than a 97 TLC).

I also agree (as will most LR owners that wheel) that the Disco I is a far better off road machine than Disco IIs and IIIs (ie I > II > III). The LR guys I wheel with are really pissed with the changes and know that the new Discos, etc are basically Fords and have lost most of their off-road heritage (which in my mind is almost entirely based on Series and Defenders, not Discos). In fact, I believe that if TLCs were more common in Canada and there wasn't such a large price difference many of them would wheel TLCs (and some in fact do own 60s).

IMHO, the ONLY thing that is better on the earlier Discos vs. TLCs (both stock) is the rear departure angle and, I think, the break-over angle. I tend to drag my butt (well, my truck's butt) over many things that the older Discos don't have a problem with. From my inexperienced scan, most of the other components look to be far weaker than on our trucks.

I kind of like the 'dark horse' effect my ** LEXUS ** has - people that have never seen the truck tend to make comments like 'even a Lexus made it through' with no concept of the relative capabilities of the two trucks. A strong case in point is a lovely Defender 130 that was going up a hill that required offsetting wheels to be off the ground - the D130 was spinning tires, tilting over, revving, backing down, gunning it, etc and slowly crawled up the hill (where the large crowd was gathering). Next the Hummer H1 with crappy articulation - then my stock, gold trim Lexus, walked up that hill with my wife sipping a coffee and twin 2 year olds gazing out the window. I get a lot less s***e now :D

You decide, but, if you can afford it, I would strongly suggest a TLC. The old Discoweb threads are great (but I think you have to be a member) as you get a reasonable picture of the differences from people that have, and work on, both.

Cheers, Hugh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom