Cone Washer Hub Stud Stripped - Help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've stripped one of the studs coming out through the front right hub flange (the 6 studs that you put the cone washer, washer, and nut onto), and can't get the nut back on it. I need help removing the stud and replacing it. I've already ordered OEM replacement from local dealership, although it won't be here for a few days.

Background: Alright, I'm a total novice mechanic, but I have the internet, some down time, and not a ton of money. I set out to replace my front rotors and pads, and repack the bearings based on some youtube videos and DIY threads here. I completed the job and was thrilled. Well, apparently I didn't tighten one of the hub-to-rotor bolts back on tight enough, it shook loose after several months and was stuck between the rotor and the dust shield. This loose bolt got wedged against the little "bump" that covers the ABS sensor and completely flattened it, causing total brake failure. Luckily I was a block from my house when it happened.

I have now replaced the ABS sensor, re-installed the rotor and got as far as putting the hub back on when I realized that I had stripped one of the 6 studs that have the cone washers on them. I cannot wrench the nut more than halfway down onto the stud. I need to get this stud out, but cannot get it loose. There isn't much clearance to work with. I've tried a vice grip, but it basically spins in place around the stud. I also have 10" pipe wrench, but can't get it to "bite down" and grip onto the stud. I am at a loss of what to do here.

Anyone ever removed these studs? Any tips or tricks to get it out? Does taking the rotor off and getting at it from the other side help at all? At what point do I cut my losses and order a replacement hub? I've already bought all the tools involved (I know I'll use them again), but I'm living the married-with-kids grad student life and don't have much more wiggle room with money.

Thanks so much for any help or advice.

Yep, replaced all of mine. There is only one way, unscrew them from the front of the hub. Don't need to remove anything. You will need a stud puller set. A cheap set like the one below will probably break after you use it on five or six studs, but it should do the trick:
Amazon product ASIN B004FDJE0K

Last edited:
You can put a little heat on the stud, too. I use a kitchen butane torch to encourage recalcitrant bolts and such. It's small and easy to put the heat on a pin-point, and the flame isn't really that hot.

Anyone have the Toyota Part number for the hub studs? Cruiser Outfitters sells a kit, but I only need the studs since I've already purchased nuts, flat washers and cone washers.

Anyone have the Toyota Part number for the hub studs? Cruiser Outfitters sells a kit, but I only need the studs since I've already purchased nuts, flat washers and cone washers.
Those would be 90116-10201.
B4DCA78C-E993-43A8-A922-260EF50B690A.jpeg

Heat it to soften any loctite that may have been applied, and then get straight jaw vice grips on it super tight. You'll need to re-bite many times, but it will come out. Use blue loctite when you install the new one. Don't use red, as you're likely discovering, it requires heat to break when properly applied.

Is heating it up and going to town with a vise grip not going to work? Or is there a reason why that would be a bad idea?

You'd want to heat the hub, not the stud, FYI. Heating the stud more than the hub would make it even more difficult. Subtle difference, but important.

Vice grips could work, but you might ruin the vice grips or shear the stud off and end up in worse shape than you started.

Having the right tool for the job makes all the difference. You might be able to rent a stud puller from your local parts store for $0.00 net cost.

This stud remover set worked great for me. However, it is a CHEAP tool set. It probably will last for removing the studs on your truck. But mine did not, I had to sort of jury-rig the internal parts to get it to live long enough to get the studs out. Don't re-use the nuts, get new ones - they are used in a ton of places on Toyota trucks, easy to find. Install the studs by double-nutting them, don't use this tool to try and install if you get it, only remove.
Amazon product ASIN B00063Z77W

Last edited:
last resort: weld something to it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom