(Concluded) Tire Research (went KO2 265/70/18) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just a couple of thoughts:

My only point of reference with the 100 is my stock 2001 LC with 285/75r16 KO2's. (previous owner installed) I find the truck has adequate power (and more than my previous rig, a '00 LR Disco II) handles well and rides very good, IMO. No complaints with a off road performance. The 33's fill the wheel wells and suit the truck nicely. If I had to throw a negative out, I'd say the steering feels a bit heavy, but it's not bothersome and I have no other point of reference with the 100 so it could be normal.

As mentioned above, my previous rig was a '00 LR Disco II. My dad bought it new in late 99. It eventually became mine and I ran it for the next 18+ years. We ran the factory 255's, went skinny with 235's (Bridgestone Dueler Revo) and eventually went to 265/75r16 after I put a 2" lift on it. Looking back, the truck really performed well on the 235's. Ride, handling and power really went to crap after the lift. (Truck was underpowered to start with)

Excuse my ramblings, but I say all of that to say that having had 33's I'm not willing to go smaller on my 100 as the size suits the truck so well. I'm very intrigued by the 255/85r16 and the alleged performance gains, but I'm not sure the "juice is worth the squeeze" considering I'm satisfied with my 100's current performance and the additional cost and lack of AT options when it comes to the 255.
Ramble on! Thanks for the perspective from the upper end of my size range.

I am partial to 255/70/18...however it does limit options. @RKRUGER you have a very good looking 100. Those Continentals look sharp.
Thanks @94SRUNNER It is a clean truck. I was lucky to find her. YMMV, but when I found it, it had undersized 265/65R18 s on it and I upsized to 275/65 R18 when I picked up the Sequoia wheels... and I felt like it wandered a bit in the wheel tracks on the road. So I started to look for the tallest 265/70R18 out there, and they all come in at about 32.6". Somewhere around then, Overland Journal had an article on Scott Brady's white G-Wagon and he had the TerrainContact on his rig and gave it a decent review. I would have liked to try it in the 275/70 at 33.2" but opted for the 265/70 at 32.6" and have been very happy. Living in Minnesota, having a narrower footprint is often preferable to a float tire, not that the 10mm additional width would make that much of a difference... if you could just change tires like you can change shoes, I'd have liked to try the 275s in the Continental.

Thanks @94SRUNNER It is a clean truck. I was lucky to find her. YMMV, but when I found it, it had undersized 265/65R18 s on it and I upsized to 275/65 R18 when I picked up the Sequoia wheels... and I felt like it wandered a bit in the wheel tracks on the road. So I started to look for the tallest 265/70R18 out there, and they all come in at about 32.6". Somewhere around then, Overland Journal had an article on Scott Brady's white G-Wagon and he had the TerrainContact on his rig and gave it a decent review. I would have liked to try it in the 275/70 at 33.2" but opted for the 265/70 at 32.6" and have been very happy. Living in Minnesota, having a narrower footprint is often preferable to a float tire, not that the 10mm additional width would make that much of a difference... if you could just change tires like you can change shoes, I'd have liked to try the 275s in the Continental.
What put you over the edge to 265s instead of 275s? In hindsight would you do it different? Not that 10mm would make the difference but I'm of the illusion (delusion?) I also would prefer traction of narrower versus needing the float. Maybe I just like the safari look, not many 265/70/18 folks on here. Thanks for the input.

I got the 265/70R18s as prices and availability was a deciding factor, but I am happy with my purchase. I do not live near snow and the truck sees only light off road trails, so a wider, heavier tire did not really appeal to me. The truck runs and feel fine on the paved roads or gravel terrain.
Good luck with what ever you decide to go for.

IMG_1670.JPG

I'm curious why you figure 265/65/18 is undersized? Just your personal preference?

If you are deciding between the 265 70 18 and something in that area....why would you NOT go with the 275 70 18 ? It is a bit larger but not too big to rub, basically zero difference in mpg or price of the tire and will ride better being a bit larger and heavier. Comparing the two sizes, no way I would got with the smaller of the two.

I would actually rather have something a bit narrower and a bit taller like a 270 75 18. That would be about 33.9" diameter. It would fill up the wheel well nicely, still not be too wide outside the fenders and not really pizza cutters. The exact opposite of the hideous wheel spacer look.
Only difference I can see (I'm in the same boat, needing new tires soon) is that the 265/70s come in P metric whereas the 275/70s are only available in the LT version, thus adding more weight. It may not be that big of a difference as I have no experience with the LT version. I have run the 275/65s (TerrainContacts) for several years and noticed no hit to braking/acceleration or fuel consumption compared to stock tires. The 265/70s are appealing because they're fairly close in diameter to the others, but not as heavy. What brand do you run on your LCs? I'm leaning heavy on the Toyo Open Country AT IIIs. Thanks.

What brand do you run on your LCs? I'm leaning heavy on the Toyo Open Country AT IIIs. Thanks.

Three of mine have the 275 70 18 Mastercraft Coursers AXTs. Cooper makes them. Really like them. Got them for like $754 installed.

I ran the Continentals in 275/65R18 (P metric) for over three years and 55k miles until I had a blowout. Great tires, I did a long-term review here on mud. Not sure yet what I’m getting next, possibly Toyo open country AT IIIs, staying with the same (perfect) size.
Found your excellent write up. Good discussion there about LT vs P also. Thanks.

Continental TerrainContact A/T

I've got 275/65/18 BFG KO2s, and the tire shop would have sold me a 5th tire if they could get it in the spare spot, but they said it couldn't, and they are 31.5" tall brand new. The real issue is the in-bumper hitch receiver found in the LX. It has to stick forward to get a pin lock through it, so it's in the way even with a stock street tire up there. PITA to get the pin in and out especially with a keyed lock. You get a lot more ground clearance for your hitch basket out back, but then can't lower the tailgate without hitting the backup lights.
I have 285/65/18 spare fits under neath stock toe hitch

I have 285/65/18 spare fits under neath stock toe hitch
Thanks, if it's KO2, then it'd be 32.5". That helps. I have another first hand report that a 285/70/17 (32.8") definitely did not. Are all the folks out there with 275/70/18 KO2s (33.2") also generally finding a full size spare does not fit? Seems like I'm getting closer to knowing what my max diameter is (without rubbing or deflating tricks)?

Thanks, if it's KO2, then it'd be 32.5". That helps. I have another first hand report that a 285/70/17 (32.8") definitely did not. Are all the folks out there with 275/70/18 KO2s (33.2") also generally finding a full size spare does not fit? Seems like I'm getting closer to knowing what my max diameter is (without rubbing or deflating tricks)?

I have a 275/70R18 KO2 spare under mine right now. It fits snug with no adjustments. Don’t think you could go much bigger. I’ve definitely posted pics in some other thread.

I love my 285/75r16. Handles great on the freeway/street/off road. Falken Wildpeak AT3w. I've put them on 3 vehicles now. Save some money, JMO.

20201203_175827.jpg

If wrapping up a thread is a thing, I'll close with some shots of the 265/70/18 KO2s I finally settled on after much be/musing. I'm quite happy and think this size (vice 275/70/18 and 285/65/18) makes for a nice balance of my requirements, use case, and really, who are we kidding, the only thing that really matters on this level is looks (of a half inch or 10mm here or there). Thanks for all the input!

33D2C3C6-EB1F-4CD8-A43A-DE022F9DBE20.jpeg

3C6678C7-503B-4DFF-A5C1-E45320E7B4E3.jpeg

573E74F4-41FC-42AF-8E40-2043BF19FBB5.jpeg

0B057B14-FDE2-467E-9E2D-1E675B076B4C.jpeg

494B70B9-BA1C-47B2-AAF5-9421377D618E.jpeg

Last edited:
I have another first hand report that a 285/70/17 (32.8") definitely did not.

Can confirm 285/70/17 does indeed fit as that’s what I have. From what I can tell it has more to due with the hitch than anything, if you’re running an aftermarket hitch you may or may not have a enough room. My ‘07 has a Draw Tite hitch and the spare is very close to the panhard rod, will be switching to an OEM hitch soon to see if that frees up some space.

Last edited:
The several small benefits of the larger tire are reasons to not choose the other and no benefits to the smaller of the two.
A true 275/70/18 isn’t going to fit in my ‘98 spare carrier without rubbing the panhard rod. The BFG’s are ‘small’ and close to the diameter of my 265/70/18 (32.6) so that might fit. I haven’t checked my 2004 yet, but I noticed the trailer hitch is slightly different.
Fitting a spare is a big deal for me. If you have a bumper/carrier, no issue.

Also, some 265’s come in P rating vs 275’s almost all LT. Can be a 6-9 lb difference per tire (rotating mass big difference). I have LT’s now, and debating the switch to P’s.

One last note, I put 1.25 inch spacers on with these tires and think it looked perfect (flush but not beyond). I recently took the spacers off because I was too lazy to deal with them when replacing bearings/brakes/axles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom