Concerns on Noise When Driving on incline (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have noticed that while Driving in two wheel drive on the pavement, with my 74 FJ40, my Driveway has a medium incline to access the main road, going up straight is ok, but once I turn and the vehicle is at the top of the incline, I can feel what sounds like a rust issue breaking free across the center of the vehicle, it just does not sound good, I am really not able to but in this in the right wording, I have not replaced my shocks yet, they are still org for the vehicle, I have replaced and updated the entire front end and new bushings all around, this sound is only when I make the crest of the incline and level out on the main road, what should I do or is this a common issue for a vehicle this old that has not been used for years.
thanks

How rusty is your frame?

Are your rear spring hangers rusted out of the frame?

The frame was soild with no rust issues anywhere, I also had installed a 2 1/2 shakle lift front and rear, I did not sandblast the springs , I only wire brushed them and repainted them.

Also check torque on U-bolts...

David, a lot of things could be causing the problem, but when I replaced my body mounts a lot of strange noises went away.......just a guess;)

Ed

Just a guess, not a theory

Razorback said he was in 2 wheel & turning at the top of his drive, clues 1, 2 & 3. On some rigs, like my Taco, the steering stop bolt hits the stop & makes a grinding sound when turning the wheel all the way over as the suspension jounces. It sounds like a broken spring & worse. Lubing the stop fixes it. So it ain't no theory, just a guess based on his description & my experience. For all I know, there ain't even steering stops on the FJ40, but it wouldn't surprise me if there were.

Razorback said he was in 2 wheel & turning at the top of his drive, clues 1, 2 & 3. On some rigs, like my Taco, the steering stop bolt hits the stop & makes a grinding sound when turning the wheel all the way over as the suspension jounces. It sounds like a broken spring & worse. Lubing the stop fixes it. So it ain't no theory, just a guess based on his description & my experience. For all I know, there ain't even steering stops on the FJ40, but it wouldn't surprise me if there were.

I don't think there should be any movement when the bolt hits the steering stop, unless your knuckle bearings are bad. Greasing it would kinda be like wearing headphones to keep from hearing a rod knock;)

Ed

Every Mini truck I've ever had had this problem and it was the steering stops. I just greased them (often) and the problem was cured.

Later,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom