Conceptual stereo system in a truck w/o the factory option (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I swung by the Verizon store today to find a mount for my cell, but all the mounts were for angled front windows, making the phone face down... WTH? Anyways, I had been contemplating looking for an OEM factory stereo, but realized it would probably sound pretty crappy. While at Verizon, I came across the Bose Soundlink bluetooth speaker, and it looks promising for a pretty easy install that can be locked in the underseat toolbox. The unit is $300 and the car charger is another $30. The sound quality is pretty awesome for a small box speaker, and is quite heafty at 2.9lbs. I am thinking about mounting it to the dash, right above the cigarette lighter, then mounting the phone next to it for GPS and internet radio. Anyone got any ideas for an easy mounting bracket that somehow doesnt require ruining the dash pad?

That sounds like a really good idea. When I get the truck back from the shop this week, I'm going to check that out.
ACL

I wanted sound but didn't want to do the conventional stereo thing either.

First thing I decided was to use my iPhone as the source.

I used the Ped3 mount: PED3-Bike Steel Rotating Holder Motorcycle Bicycle Mount
to hold the phone and mounted this to my tuffy console so it is right at arms reach really easy. Otherwise you can use the gooseneck with a nut on the other end through a hole you may already have in the dash (or make a small new one)

I would get the form mount because it will hold the phone in any case even an otter box all the way to the bare phone. Before you worry about how safely it will hold it I have this in 2 cars and on my harley which shakes like crazy with no issues!

Then I used a fusion marine digital amp that I mounted in the glovebox: Marine Zone Amplifier (MS-AM702) | FUSION Electronics
It is weatherproof and small (about the size of 2 iphones stacked on each other) and has auto on/off.

I then made my own kickpanels for shallow depth speakers to go down below the kick vents. Not ideal and not my final setup but it works to get me sound.

You can buy the amp at West marine for about $99 and the mount is about $40 and you can get a set of speakers for about $100 and thena few hours of your time and you are off to the races!

Good luck!

Cool idea. You then run a wire from phone to amp, and handle the volume via the amp?

Yes I forgot that part.
I use a 1/8" to RCA cable that runs from the amp to the phone and then use the phone as the volume control actually. So even when the screen is off I can use the volume buttons on the sides to change the volume and it gets plenty loud enough when I need it to.

I am trying to work on some custom speakers. Since I don't have a dash pad I was thinking about making a custom dash pad basically with a bunch of smaller drivers built into it and then use a small sub under the drivers seat to add the bottom end.

That is more of a pipe dream idea right now since I don't have the spare time for it, have sound now and have a few other more important projects like a new radiator and a 4spd transmission.....

I like the amp idea, but don't really want to mame the existing infrastructure. From what it sounds like, the costs of the two systems are about the same. I am going to order the Bose, then figure out a way to mount that bad boy. It just sounded too good and loud, especially in the loud cruiser cab... The best part is when the tent comes out, the bose will run for 8 hours on a full charge. Camping, babes, and Barry White on the Bose.... I sense sweet lovin.... lol

Actually there was no harming of an FJ40 involved in the making of this system.

The amp is actually installed in the glove box so the 2 small holes for the bolts are not even seen.

As for the speakers there are two small holes for each of the speaker mounting plates which in the end would be no different than mounting the bose speaker except that these locations are down low and you don't put any holes in the dash.

Just thought I would clarify that for you if that makes any difference. Obviously it is your truck and this is only my opinion and thought I would share some more detail in case you were mainly concerned about chopping anything up on the 40.

I have an iPhone system installed. I have a $35 Pyle marine amp mounted in the toolbox. I used an aux volume controller and a Blitzsafe iPhone cable. I used Bose 101's in the back and some small rectangular speakers up front under the dash. I really need to do a write up on it.

PACLC1remoteampcable.jpg

iUI.jpg

PylePLMRA400amp.jpg

gooseneckmount.jpg

Bose151.jpg

PylePDWR30Bspeakers.jpg

I have an iPhone system installed. I have a $35 Pyle marine amp mounted in the toolbox. I used an aux volume controller and a Blitzsafe iPhone cable. I used Bose 101's in the back and some small rectangular speakers up front under the dash. I really need to do a write up on it.

Yes you do. What are your costs?

iphone

Would that system work with an ipod?

PACLC1remoteampcable.jpg

iUI.jpg

PylePLMRA400amp.jpg

gooseneckmount.jpg

Bose151.jpg

PylePDWR30Bspeakers.jpg

Yes you do. What are your costs?

The amp was $35. http://www.google.com/products/cata...=X&ei=DrrXTuqTJMnuggeOnY2NDw&ved=0CFQQxBUwAA#

The Bose 101's were around $80 used on eBay.
The Blitzsafe cable was $100. http://www.blitzsafe.com/
The small speakers were around $40 I think.
The gooseneck was maybe $15 on eBay. It's more now. http://www.ebay.com/itm/IPM125-Car-...287637?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item4ab120a955

The Pac remote volume controller was about $20. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002J226O...e=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B0002J226O

I also added an in-line fuse for the amp under the hood that was about $10.

So it was somewhere around $300.

Last edited:
I put in the same iPod adapter as SouthBoston with an added 1/8" jack. Works great. Clean sound, charges the iPod (or phone) and full control from the iPod.

FJ40_tunes_1.jpg

I have done similar. I have a Marine Amp under the driver seat with a on-aff switch with the rest of my switches. The Amp powers on Wake Board Tower speaker attached to my rollcage. The Amp has an ipod connector that runs to the glovebox where I keep my ipod in a small pelican case. I have a wireless remote that controls the ipod from the driver seat.

Here's my cheapo mp3 stereo. Total cost, $7.
here's the test run on bench,
2011-10-20170156.jpg

and what it looks like installed, aside from it saying datsun, looks fairly stock.

Only issue was that the radio had to go in from the back due to the radius of the corners on the stock radio hole, but that wasn't a huge deal.

Coily wire is mp3 input.

ForumRunner_20111021_152915.jpg

and the instructions, dredged up from the interweb by bikersmurf.

311s.org Datsun Sports Tech Wiki | TechSection / 311s.org datsun sports tech wiki browse

May well work on other stock radios that had changer inputs.

cheers,
r

HI Alex

PACLC1remoteampcable.jpg

iUI.jpg

PylePLMRA400amp.jpg

gooseneckmount.jpg

Bose151.jpg

PylePDWR30Bspeakers.jpg

Hey, how do you handle the turn-on lead to the amp? I don't want a big "pop" everytime I turn on the truck.

BTW, I go the rain gutter together, you can see a pic in my profile. It worked great!:bounce2:

I really like that mount, its too bad my Samsung Droid Charge has the stupid USB prong coming off the lower left side, right where the clamp goes....seriously.... I am wondering why the OEM mount sucks so bad?

Hey, how do you handle the turn-on lead to the amp? I don't want a big "pop" everytime I turn on the truck.

BTW, I go the rain gutter together, you can see a pic in my profile. It worked great!:bounce2:

It doesn't pop when I turn it on. I think the main power lead is an 8 awg wire that goes thru an in-line fuse under the hood to the battery and then an auxilary power line goes to the fuse block. I may be remembering it wrong and it's been a while since I looked at it.

Glad you like the raingutter!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom