Con-ferr or... the ones I’m using (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
few pictures attached but I’m curious...

I have a pair of some extended shackles that the person gave me when I bought my ubolt skids so I know that con-ferr is/was a big name in the industry.

So I like em however I need some advice

By the images posted it looks like they are missing something. I know that they are or don’t have grease zerks looks like some sort of sleeve that goes over the bolts is missing

I’m not comfortable that they have a u-channel and are not boxed

So does the u-channel thing matter if not boxed and please inform me of these are worth replacing, the ones I have that are little longer and fully boxed The full image shows the ones I currently have in the rear... or do I say screw it and go to anti-inversions?

I have an Advance Handling Kit on front the PO installed. And I was hoping to use the other pair of con-ferr to replace the front leaf rear shackles

9211EDD2-859C-41FF-8917-27495396DC49.jpeg

4F90CD7D-BB29-46F5-A365-907C648851D5.jpeg

F5FDE32E-4C60-4931-B841-4C2AEAB74F39.jpeg

51559E39-C172-48A8-9697-28560F8046FE.jpeg

The biggest problem you have is that ConFerr shackles are 3" wide (The ID of the shackle itself), not 3 1/4" wide. I would order the Barbell shackles from CCoT, which are the correct size. You can also get greasable pins.

To use the ConFerr shackle, you have to trim down the bushing shoulder greatly to fit the shackle into place. ConFerr made those shackles to fit earlier LCs with narrower leaf springs, and never revised their design.

I’m not comfortable that they have a u-channel and are not boxed

This is not a an issue, strength-wise, unless you drive off a cliff.

The sleeve you refer to is in your leaf spring bushing. That is all that is needed. Nothing wrong with those shackles. They will likely fit fine. Try them and see. They don't need to be boxed to be plenty strong. Run them. I have the same ones on my truck that (as far as I know) have been on there for 25 years or so. No issues whatsoever. Greasable pins are not all they are cracked up to be. They replace a thick, solid bolt with a hollow grease filled tube. They are weaker than solid bolts and folks have had failures. Just grease up the bolts and spring eyes before you install these and go on about life.

^^^^^ Agree with Dave on all points.
1. Yes, hollow grazable shackle bolts are too weak. Try to find some old wagon wheel grease, very thick (almost bees wax), grease your shackle bolts and bushings, thick grease will remain/not squish out.
2. When Downey built spring shackles with hollow square tubing, water would always get inside the tubes, then rust, soooo we started building our shackles with open channel like the Con Ferrs are now.

Thank for the guidance, especially about the rusting on the inside of a boxed shackle... I’m going to measure and see about the switch for both front and back

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom